[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - I'm Such An Idiot...

I'm Such An Idiot...

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

I'm Such An Idiot...

Postby LAMing » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:11 pm

As some of you have read here before, years ago I had an Eldon Crash Jalopy Race Set that I picked up during an after Christmas sale for peanuts. (Apparently less than $9.) Even though I liked scale cars and scale home set racing at the time, I just couldn't pass it up at that price, and besides it looked like fun. Turned out it was SOOO much fun that I'm sure I ended up playing it to death! It was gone so long ago I can't remember its outcome. Anyway, very likely, that was in 1966 and here's the ad that was in the Sears "Wishbook" that year:

Okay... fast forward to this day and time:

Lo and behold, here a couple weeks ago, an Eldon Crash Car Jalopy set showed up on eBay. For such a set that's entire purpose was abuse (and lots of it), the set really was in pretty remarkable condition. I have been keeping tabs on that eBay listing for it for some time, but felt it was way over priced, so just couldn't pull the trigger on it. Here's a link to the set that WAS for sale.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eldon-1-32-Cras ... 540699f847

Like I said, I just couldn't do it. That's was a lot of money. So, now it's sold. And what are my thoughts on this? Well, even before it was purchased, I began to think:

* Since I've been watching slot cars on eBay, how often have I seen these sets come through in ANY condition, or ANYWHERE for that matter? I've only seen broken bits and parts of Crash Jalopy cars come through eBay upon rare occasions.

* How long would it be before another set of equal condition would show up at a cheaper price?

Yup, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that these things just aren't out there in obtainable quantities or reasonable condition, much less a complete set.

So...

I bought it.

Yup, you read correctly, I'm the idiot that bought it!!!

So now what?

Well, besides being a bit poorer for the experience (it's only money), once it arrives I will evaluate the cars and see what needs to be fabricated/fixed so that they can be safely used again. Fortunately, in my other hobby of model railroading, I have become very skillful in the use of styrene and keep a very well stocked supply of dimensional styrene on hand at all times. I'm confident I can fabricate/fix whatever the plastic parts and car bodies need in order for them to be sturdy enough to withstand the rigors of figure 8 racing again. No, they won't be "original" anymore once I fix them with new tabs/brackets/whatever with fabricated styrene... but that's okay. I intend to share the enjoyment of this simple set with my family (grand daughter, for example) and let the sets be used as they were intended to be used: To have fun. They will again circle the figure 8 track and knock the snot out of each other.

Of course, new tires will be needed, as well as new braids and such... but all in good time.

So there you have it, I guess I'm also back into "vintage" again. And now I have a high-priced set that used to be sold for peanuts to fix up and eventually be used again.

Like I said: I'M SUCH AN IDIOT!!! :laughing-rolling:
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: I'm Such An Idiot...

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:57 am

mate - score!

nothing wrong with that! The couple of hundred you paid for it is probably less in real terms than the $9 you paid for it earlier

have fun with it post a video of your first crash and smash :)
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:49 am

I see no idiot any where here....You got something that you were looking for and will have fun with it..How many times do we spend much more than that for something or things that we never get to enjoy?You know insurance,bills etc.. :D

Have fun with your new ol' memory and let's us see some pictures..
I know from scaleys demo derby,these are some fun!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 am

"welcome to the home of low budget brainpower"

Yes, welcome. Your usual table sir?

You are one of the smartest guys here.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am

Hi LAming, and everyone else here, can we start a club , I think a few of us need to join up and admit
I'm an Idiot,,, which begs the question are you really?.
In all honesty if you derive pleasure from. Your purchase Kudos.
If it makes you one, then I feel honored to be in such esteemed company.
Just sign me ,, Stupid but Happy.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby BIG E » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:56 pm

Yeah, join the club of happy idiots reliving our youth!
Armed with 'veteran' slot car driving skills, modern modeling tools and techniques, and a HEAVY dose of nostalgia,
we empty what little disposable income we have in our bank accounts to keep our sanity (and those smiles on our faces).
Congrats on reclaiming a bit of your youth. Enjoy the restoration process and the fun of using the set once it's ready for play.
After more than fifty years, I'm STILL looking to recreate my first HO race car, an Aurora Vibrator/Thunderjet 500* Corvette!
It's a matter of finding the body in the proper condition and color combination, without spending 50 times what it cost in 1963.
Back then, all my HO racing gear fit in an Aurora Thunderjet 500 Hop Up Kit box. And what a cool little box it was!
I've got all the running gear, but -- as with most collectible HO slot cars -- it's all about finding that perfect body.

Please share with us the joy of seeing your Eldon set come back to life.
Thanks for the photos, and ... have fun! -- Ernie :>)

*Aurora ''vibrator'' series body, with Thunderjet 500 chassis.
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:58 pm

You only bought that :D ? No problem yet :roll: (like how I said yet? read below)

I bought a couple of fly starter cars at my local hobby shop a few years ago to have fun with my kids and use with an old, small Revell set I had as a kid. Well, kids are no longer interested and I now have a 75 foot Revell track, lots of extra track, Pyramid adjustable power supply, at least 20 different controllers and over 250 cars.

So join the club on all this insanity. :music-rockout: and best of luck with not buying more (I see the cars all the time on the bay; they are there if you watch for them)

Ventura Alfa
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LAMing » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:14 pm

LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:46 pm

Sounds like a great plan.I use Ninco braid,but just about any lighter braid will work.You may find that if you use the vintage 6 volt power supply you won't have to worry about the cars going too fast..Keep us up to date on this cool set.

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:07 pm

You would be an idiot if you didn't buy it! Have fun!!!!!!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby LAMing » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:53 pm

No joy as yet: Package still not arrived via USPS.

Package was shipped this past Monday, here it is Saturday, and still no delivery. (For comparison, my LEB Hobbies order was shipped via USPS on Monday as well, it arrived on Wednesday.)

I'm trying to not hit the panic button yet, but I must say the "Concern Factor" is inching upward. Using the tracking number at the USPS website indicates it is still "in transit" from a sorting station at De Moines, IA (WHY in the name of Heaven would a package be routed from Chicago to De Moines first??), so hopefully it's just taking a while but all is well.

It would truly suck if this is the package that gets "lost". No way to replace the set.

UPDATE:

Okay, rechecked the USPS site, and noticed something I have been overlooking: Monday was when the PRE-SHIPMENT notification (whatever that is) was received by the USPS. The package wasn't actually RECEIVED ("Accepted") at the "Origin Point" until Wednesday, the 13th at 4:16 PM. Therefore, it's hasn't been in transit somewhere "out there" nearly as long as I feared. This helps... but it will help even more once the package is here!
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars