[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Thru Dead Man's curve with ELDON

Thru Dead Man's curve with ELDON

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Re: Thru Dead Man's curve with ELDON

Postby ourwayband » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 pm

They all run close to the same.All pretty well have the same chassis.A few of the cheaper cars just had the motor mounted into the body..With new aftermarket tires they kinda run like an Ol' t-jet..Not too fast,but lot's of fun..But I may be biased.. ;) These are not a lot of folks cup of tea so to speak.ELDON were the cheaper sets that most could afford.They do little to compare to the newer stuff.But then again,that is kinda the fun bit.Running 50 something year old cars..I still can see the young-en and dad Christmas morning.A simple figure 8 or one of the bigger sets with a road course..Both,dad and son having too much fun..Mom telling them
" it's time to go to grandma's house..We don't want to be late do we?The race track will be here when we get back.."

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:41 pm

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dge467 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:42 pm

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby LAMing » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Well, I must admit, it is tempting to succumb and get a bit of vintage stuff, mainly just the cheaper side of vintage: Some common Strombecker pieces, some common Eldon, etc. Can't EVEN justify some of the outrageous prices being asked for some of the higher-end items of the day. (Cox, for example.)

No way the typical vintage home set cars will EVER look and be as scale as what we have today. BUT, it's that "quaintness" and "caricature" nature of them that can also be appealing in its own way. They are very simplistic, after all, most low end home sets back then were just TOYS and not intended to be detailed and accurate scale representations.

I dunno', I'll just have to see.

Still would like to have a decent Crash Jalopy set! (But not at the price tag that would be asked!)

I do have a few questions though: What about tires for the various Eldon and Strombecker wheel versions? (Strombecker had at least two home set wheels that I know of: Those without a center rib and those with a center rib, plus different tire sizes for the front/rear.)

I suspect a replacement source for the nylon axle gears that home set cars used will be a problem, too.
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:05 am

You can get tires from Smiling Ray's.I've dealt with him,1st class type of guy.He also has some resin bumpers and such..With the ELDON I've never had a problem with the gears,though that may be a common problem..Speaking of your ol' Crash Jalopy set,have you checked out Scaley's demo derby set? Same concept but you don't have to worry about breaking up some fragile 50 year old plastic..We race until one has none of his car left on the chassis..This makes the other guy the winner.. :D

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LAMing » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Thanks for additional input, Rusty.

I'll check out the Scalextric Demolition Derby, but I recall the announcement w/pics indicated the cars looked kind of funky. Like me them Eldon '37 Chevy's!!

FWIW, I could also be interested in an Eldon Daytona Beach set... but those too, seem to be selling for goofy prices right now. Why is that I get a bit interested in something and the market goes bull for the items????

Like I said, just have to wait and see.
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:53 am

Thanks for the explanation !

My first cars (about 25years ago) were Polistil, very simple yet very funny cars I had ! I still have also some Carrera Profi cars, also very simple design cars, but really fun to run too. So maybe these Eldon could be fun too ! I may try them once the tracks will be completed.
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LAMing » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:39 pm

This just kind'a blows 'ya away. Look what can be done with an Eldon stocker body! That is a seriously nice looking little vintage-based car!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Dodge-NASC ... 4624bc618b
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:24 pm

yes sir,some of the guys are really putting a great paint job on these little rides..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby demether » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:37 pm

True ! Really good looking car !

I've seen than in the Eldon range, there was also some classis openwheeled and classic european "lemans" race cars too. I can see a lot of interest in them. I like detailling classic slot cars. The last one I did was a HO aurora chapparal body :

It's what I like the best in modelling, making conversions/detailling.
demether
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:53 pm

WOW! That Chapparal looks sweet! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby ourwayband » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:09 pm

I second that!!One nice looking Chapparal !!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:32 pm

A detailed ELDON from e-bay and cool Revell Firebird from Shotgun Dave.Thanks Dave for the great deal!
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Vintage Slot Cars