[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Photo of The First Motor Pod

Photo of The First Motor Pod

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Photo of The First Motor Pod

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:00 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: Photo of The First Motor Pod

Postby RichD » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:35 am

Cars of that period never used the end of the motor shaft fitting into a gear boss to locate the rear axle, we just put spacers between the wheels and the axle bearings. I had several cars with Dynamic chassis, they handled well.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:14 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby gascarnut » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 am

You don't often see them on Maubuchi motors, but the ".22 shell casing" thing is probably the remnants of a commutator lubrication system.

There would have been a wick of some sort in the bottom of the casing that touched on the comm, and the rest of the casing serves as a reservoir for some sort of conductive lubricant.

This was common on the Pittmans and other "padlock" motors, especially for drag racing in the early 1960's.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:17 am

Is that a K&B Bobcat?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FootScoot » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:47 am

It does look like a Bobcat. I had a bunch of those Dynamic pods. One I recall was a thingie I built with a Mura rewind, Dynamic brass tongue with a piano wire front axle, F-1 body, Monogram 1/32 front wheels with 1/16" adapters, and pair of Blue Magoo's in the rear that had been turned down to 3/4". It was fast and handled great. Closest thing to a scratchbuilt back in the day. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:01 am

Oh the cars we've built - back in the day . . . . . almost sound like song lyrics!

To me the Dynamic chassis was just like todays HRS-2 chassis. It can be fitted under most 1:32 slot cars, handles well and is fast.

Interesting story to follow . . . . . I was racing up in Thomasville, Georgia at The Viper Pit. The owner of the raceway, Aaron Scott, also owns South Georgia Corvette. He also has a "Big Car Shop" on the premises where he makes lots and lots of horsepower in Corvettes and also Dodge Vipers. He has a Viper of his own that makes 1125 horsepower at the rear wheels. It's a very scary ride :angry-screaming: when you are the passenger! That's with no NOS! :auto-nx:

Aaron and I went out after the racing to have something to eat and we got to talking. He asked me where I raced when I was much younger and I answered, "Edison Raceways". I could see a bit of excitement on Aaron's face. He asked me about a person and the name was familiar. He worked at Edison Raceways and was now a customer of South Georgia Corvette. Well I got in contact with him and we met for a cup. John Becker was the person that mocked my Dynamic chassis car as "being 1/16 of an inch UNDER the track's surface!"

The car was an entry into an "Indy Car" race at Edison Raceways. I think it had a Honda body on it - yes I did see Gran Prix as was cheering for the Hondas. I will admit that I set out to make it as low and mean as I could. It had a rewound 16D motor in it and minimum clearance everywhere. I do believe the front wheels were the popular "pin wheels" from back then, you know the 1/16 inch axle type that were very, very small. Yes, it was fast and yes it did win that day. Like I say, the Dynamic chassis is like today's HRS-2 chassis.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby FootScoot » Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:29 am

We used those Dynamic chassis pods in everything, including the Grand National cars. I built one of those with a sidewinder pod, brass tongue, the Dynamic aluminum front axle piece with 1/8" axle same Monogram fronts, a pair of AJ's silicones, Champion 707 amp sucker motor. Every car on the track would slow down when I went full bore down the front chute. I got to run it 2 times and was told to change motors or not run in Grand National anymore. My pleading saying that we could run any big can motor fell on deaf ears. :lol:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Return to Vintage Slot Cars