Monogram 1/32 Ferrari 250 GTO LM

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Monogram 1/32 Ferrari 250 GTO LM

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:12 pm

This is a current (re-issued) Monogram 1/32 scale Ferrari 250 GTO LM body mounted to a vintage Monogram brass kit chassis. The body is identical to the original slot car made in the sixties except that the mounting posts are different. By shortening the front mount the body fits right onto the vintage brass chassis. One simple cut with the old battery powered dremmel and VIOLA! I've got a great looking slot car with a great running vintage chassis. I had this original car with an original body for many years but now it looks as good as it runs. There are some good reasons these simple brass Monogram chassis are still very popular even after 45 years, foremost they run great and are very adaptable to number of applications. I made a few improvements to the running gear, I have replaced the original crown gear, axles and plastic wheels with a Cox gear and vintage threaded aluminum wheels. I did use the wide Monogram rear wheels on it with some Ortmann tires I bought about 10 years ago, they still have great traction. Like my Ford GT it now has independently rotating font wheels and needs some wire wheel inserts. These new bodies look fantastic! Monogram probably made millions of these slot car kits and back when they were new most were put together by little racers as quickly as possible, so often original cars like this one can be found but they do not have the finished detail and paint that the new bodies have, check out the pic with the original and re-issued versions.

KnowtoriousWon

Return to Vintage Slot Cars