[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - UPGRADING ELDIN/MARX

UPGRADING ELDIN/MARX

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

UPGRADING ELDIN/MARX

Postby gonegonzo » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:38 pm

I have some early 60's Eldin and Marx cars that I'd like to upgrade with modern running gear . Does anyone have any advice here ?

Thx
Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: UPGRADING ELDIN/MARX

Postby BIG E » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Just off the top of my head here -- it's really up to you what direction you'd like to go.
Both the ELDON and MARX early cars have no chassis to speak of, much of the drive train was mounted to the body and lower pan itself.
Some of the ELDON cars had a very simple plastic chassis which could possibly be modified to accept some sort of modern motor, gears, ect.
The thing is, do you want to just use the vintage bodies and build up chassis and running gear for them, or do you want to try and upgrade the original parts that came with the cars? The latter I think might be more difficult, as I don't believe there are many parts and pieces out there for these particular cars, other than some wheels and tires.
You also need to be careful what type of power these older cars run on, some were as low as 6 volts, if memory serves, and you don't want to risk burning out any good running original motors you may already have. Do any testing AFTER you've checked the cars over, cleaned away any dirt and debris, and of course carefully re-oiled things with a good quality, light weight hobby oil. Start with the lowest voltage the cars will run on, and be sure you know the power requirements of each motor BEFORE you run into trouble.
I always liked the ELDON stuff, as it was the first larger scale set that I had as a kid. I've got a few collector pieces and another few cars to make runners out of, but really have not had the time to play around with them due to my HO and 1/24 scale racing activities. There are also one or two MARX cars in my collection, but they're probably NOS pieces that have not been run and never will see a day on the track.

I know there are people that enjoy running and collecting these types of cars, especially the ELDON brand.
I'm sure there are many others on this forum that can help you out with more ideas on modifications, parts availability, ect.
How about it, guys? Let's help this racer out! ***Good luck and enjoy... Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:58 pm

ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby padirtfan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:05 am

I have some of the indy cars and I made a couple of them into 70's style caged Silver Crown cars. I made piano wire frames and current running gear for them. I did keep one totally original and I have a bunch of parts (gears, wheels/ tires, motors).
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:10 pm

This is what I have been working on today.

Mrrc Sebring chassis. It has the same slide type adjustable chassis as the original Eldon and with the addition of a rear plate you can use the stock 2 post mount.

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:25 am

Nice one Randy!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:58 am

Thanks Rusty. A buddy of mine gave me the body several years ago before I got back into slots as I have the 1:1 version.

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gonegonzo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:04 pm

I have a couple of ARTIN ERO Sedans . Are the chassis' the same as the ones used here ?

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:16 pm

I don't know what an Ero Sedan is. Got a pic?
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gonegonzo » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:24 pm

No pics Mike . One is a Mercedes and another is a Porsche .

My vintage cars both use the belly pan chassis system .

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars