Monogram 1/32 Ford GT

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Monogram 1/32 Ford GT

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Here is a vintage 1/32 scale Monogram Ford GT made from vintage sixties parts except for the tires. This was a work in process for a long time until recently when I bought some axle spacers from Professor Motor - we are really lucky to have so many slot car resources available to us. This is a really great model of the 1964 Ford GT, I would love to see Monogram release this one again. The body is one piece with some very fine detail molded in, the shape looks as good as any current offering. The interior tray is flat with the typical head and shoulders driver with a separate head. The interior tray also has the three body mounting posts.

I mounted it on an original Monogram aluminum race set type of chassis. I upgraded running gear; I replaced the original crown gear, axles and plastic wheels with a Cox gear and vintage threaded aluminum wheels. Note that it has the wide Monogram rear wheels on it with some Ortmann tires I bought about 10 years ago, they still have great traction. I like the feel of cars that have independently rotating font wheels, luckily I have some vintage axles to accomplish this but they were for 1/24 scale cars so I had to cut them down to fit on the 1/32 chassis. This set-up makes for a nice smooth running car, funny thing is that I'm not sure it runs any better with the upgrades.

Right now it is a really fun vintage car to run. I need to find some spoke wheel inserts plus some detail painting and decals would really make this car look fantastic! These vintage cars just never seem to ever be finished!

KnowtoriousWon

Re: Monogram 1/32 Ford GT

Postby dge467 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Nice old slot car!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:09 pm

Looking good sir, nice one.

You write like a world famous author :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:19 pm

Well done, I love the old Monogram stuff. I am partial to the brass chassis but these homeset cars are fun to race together, too.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 pm

Wow! That pic is really over exposed so it doesn't show the body detail. I'll try to take a better one tomorrow.
Stay tuned - I'll add some of the other vintage Monogram cars I/m finally getting ready to run.
KnowtoriousWon

Postby gascarnut » Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:58 am

NICE! My favorite of all the old Monogram cars, as it was the first one I bought as a young teenager.

BWA have reproduction Monogram wire wheel inserts, as well as a few other styles, some of which look better IMO than the originals. I used those on this restoration of a junked GT bought off eBay:

At the time I was doing this, there was a guy selling reproduction decals on eBay, I will try to find his name in my records if you like. I might even have a spare set if you are really stuck.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:06 pm

Some cool ol' cars!!
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby KnowtoriousWon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:16 pm

Gascarnut, great looking car there! I should have you detail mine! I wasn't sure I wanted a black interior but yours looks great.
KnowtoriousWon

Return to Vintage Slot Cars