[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Vintage Strombecker layout

Vintage Strombecker layout

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Re: Vintage Strombecker layout

Postby Dodge Fan » Wed May 01, 2013 6:47 pm

love the vintage stuff a couple of
eldon cars too
Dodge Fan

Postby LAMing » Wed May 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Add me to the list of still racing on plastic and still on the floor! (When we race.)

I love the way some plastic tracks handle. Several years ago, when I decided do redabble in "today's" slot cars, it was only natural that I go a 1/32 set. My first attempt was a Ninco F1 set. Didn't EVEN like the gritty texture of the track. Racing on it felt like racing HO cars... only bigger cars.

That's why I went with Carrera because it reminded of the smooth finish found on Strombecker, Revell, Aurora, Eldon, etc... all track systems that I've owned and used extensively. Next thing was to pull the magnets!

However, just so you know I'm not a total fuddy-duddy... my Carrera is the D132 system. I'm setting us up (the family and me) to race dirt-style 2 lane oval using the bigger Carrera curves, aprons, and 4-5 of us racing at once. Sort of like the 1/4 mile dirt bullrings that used to dot the countryside. Anyway... that's the plan.

Now, back to Strombecker:

Long story short... I discovered that the old Strombecker stuff was still available at very resonable prices back in about '1990 or '1991... so I got back into it in a big way. Back then you could buy the vintage stuff for a few dollars, refurbish it... and race the stuffin's out of it. There was also NOS leftovers from the French days of Strombecker. (I'm talking brand new in-the-box cars for about $20. I would purchase them by the dozen! I also stocked up on tires by the dozens and parts/etc.) I purchased almost everything available many times over through a local slot track (at the time.) Such as the Chapparal coupes, Ford GT's, J cars, Olds Specials, McLarens, etc, etc, etc. To me, the plastic chassis w/peanut can motors were actually prefered over some of the true vintage chassis and motors. I would use new chassis under restored vintage shells... had some GREAT looking and great running Strombecker cars.

It was fun while it lasted!
LAMing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu May 02, 2013 12:03 pm

LAMing sounds like you are going to have a very cool digital Carrera setup!!Their track is the best out there and they have a good digital system.Some of the most fun we had on my digital was just that,a two lane oval with 3 or 4 of us racing.We tour up some cars but had a blast.
Be nice to find some of those ol' french new-in-the box strombecker cars at those prices today!
As far as racing on the floor,we had some fun there too.I still have my wood track,but also like the plastic.
I guess it's just the different feel!

rusty
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:48 pm

That's a nice old set Rusty! The billboards are cool as is the old box.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby ourwayband » Thu May 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Thank Ya dge467!!
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Thu May 02, 2013 5:48 pm

SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Fri May 03, 2013 8:20 am

Cool Story Speedy!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Fri May 03, 2013 3:57 pm

Well I went ahead and started copper taping the layout.While she ran decent I could still tell some of the old track connections would be fine one race and then give up some on the next.This track was well used and the type they made right before the 1965 batch.Better track then the 1st stuff they put out but not the final deal.The copper tape really makes a huge difference!Even smooths out some of the joints.Got most of her done,but ran out of tape.Contacted the old jaybird and have some more on the way.This little layout is even going to be more fun.

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Hotrodbob » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:13 pm

That is cool. You have given me hope. Just bought some Stromy stuff and was thinking about the set up and yours is spot on...
Hotrodbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:41 pm

Cool Deal Bob!!It is some fun track and cheap too.
Racin' just feels different running on this vintage stuff..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby a110alpine » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:29 pm

strombecker pit buildings were still available through reh the last time I checked.. you won't get it in the box but in a plastic bag. I bought some several years ago..
a110alpine

Previous

Return to Vintage Slot Cars