[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Gilbert 40 Ford slot body

Gilbert 40 Ford slot body

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Gilbert 40 Ford slot body

Postby Dodge Fan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:26 pm

I saw this on ebay and won it for $10. I thought it had a lot of potential. It's only about 5" long so I decided to mate it to an Eldon chassis. The Gilbert Body dates early 60's and appears to be a '40 Ford. They called it a 'Ford Jalopy'.
The wheel wells were very small and needed 'drummed out' with a dremel tool to clear the Eldon wheels. I added a couple of body posts, painted it black and added some custom decals to the body and engine, a front window was also added using a piece of plastic pop bottle . Just a fun 'what if' project.

Dodge Fan

Re: Gilbert 40 Ford slot body

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:57 pm

Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hoganracing » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:11 pm

It looks really sharp. Nice work.

Patrick
hoganracing
Frequent Flyer

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 pm

Yes sir, that is a nice ride. Well done as usual.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ourwayband » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:17 pm

A Very nice ride!!Bet she is fun to drive also.Those Eldon chassis can be like a big Ol' t-jet.
thanks for sharing

Rusty
Last edited by ourwayband on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:02 pm

Wow!

Awesome!

That sure does bring back some great memories!

For Christmas of 1961, I received one of the A.C. Gilber "Auto-Rama" race sets! It has a pair of the 40 Fords in it, I believe one was red, the other yellow just like in the photo you posted.

Yes, the tires were small and mine did get smaller with all the use I put on those slot cars.

It was a figure 8 - over / under configuration. I think I wore grooves in the track, but it got lots and lots of use!

The car had a guide flag with pickup shoes that were made out of a copper type of material. The guide flag was on a swivel.

The motor was a 'Pittman-like' one with a worm gear on the shaft. There was no braking circuit on the controller, but with a worm gear, you don't need no steenkin' brakes! When the motor stops turning, so do the rear wheels.

Thanks for sharing!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby dge467 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm

Great makeover! Very nice work!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby RichD » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 am

This brings back memories for me as well. I got an A.C. Gilbert track back in 1962 (I think), it was also a figure 8, but mine came with two Corvettes. The cars were 1/43rd scale (O gauge) to match the American Flyer trains, they had Pittman type motors with worm gear drive. Soon I had ordered more track and a pair of the '40 Fords. I bought a second track and more cars from a friend and also bought some large radius turn sections. The track was fully landscaped and was 36 feet long. Eventually I bought spare chassis and put aftermarket motors in them like the Revell RP77 and the Russkit 22. I used Pyro bodies on those cars.
I wish that I had taken some pictures of that track.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm

My brother and I had 2 of the "Which Lane Chicane?" sets with the go carts and the figure 8 intersection. We had one set at our house and one at our Grandparents. As I remember, the go carts were a poor choice for the "intersection" figure 8 because with that type of boddy there was no protection for the lead edge of the hard plastic guide.....'snap' :( . I think I still have the track around someplace!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Great vintage toy!

The original MINT new-old-stock bodies from 1962 are still available online!

I think ALL of the various Gilbert bodies are available...

I bought two 40 Ford Coupes and yeah - complete time-warp perfect original bodies arrived in the mail - definitely worth $15 per - especially if you we're restoring an original toy.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby Dodge Fan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 am

I have a complete Gilbert 40' Ford. The chassis has a steering mechanism in the front. This has had some work but the motor runs.
Dodge Fan

Postby TsgtRet » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Yep that's the same chassis that was under the go carts....the body ended right at the front of the chassis so that hard plastic guide was right out in front! Crash!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars