[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - (More) Stuff and Observations...

(More) Stuff and Observations...

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

(More) Stuff and Observations...

Postby strummer57 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Now, I have been playing around with all sorts of model trains for 40+ years, so I pretty much know the ins and outs of motors, electrical contact, etc. Thus, I was looking forward to seeing what kind of fun I could have next. So this "new" adventure into slot cars.

This batch arrived today:

unnamed-10.jpg

These are the same type of controllers, pack, etc., that came with the set my brother and I got back in '66. I had the chance to score this, it wasn't expensive, so I thought this little "experiment in re-living my past" would justify its purchase. :D

So...

...I tested the pack right away; it showed the correct 18V. So far so good.

After shooting a little contact cleaner into the input jacks of the track section, the "power cord" (from the pack to the track) was plugged in and was tested: no go. Testing that power cord showed no current. I made up a "cheater" cord from plain old lamp wire, and the track section then tested good.

Only one of the controllers worked at all, and even then just barely. I saw that these are held together with screws, so that told me they they were meant to be taken apart for servicing, so away we went. In all 4, the copper/brass contacts between the trigger and the coil were heavily corroded, but a good cleaning/polishing took care of that. Now all 4 work as intended.

After all that, I took a closer look at that "power cord", and saw it was simply a break in one of the wires, right next to the spade connector. I cut off both spades, stripped and soldered the ends (not together, but for durability :lol: ) and now it works fine.

The only thing I was unable to rectify is that on (3) of the controllers, there is this odd teal-colored...discoloration. It doesn't seem to effect the electrical properties, but I tried several different chemicals and nothing worked to remove it. Suggestions?

unnamed-11.jpg

In closing I want to mention how similar this stuff is compared to the model trains I've been used to working on: durable, easy to work on, US made (for the most part) and perhaps most of all, very user-friendly. Things were factory-assembled in a logical way; solder joints are clean and well done; everything just kind of "makes sense". It's an absolute joy to work on. You all are probably used to it, but to a newbie like myself, this is a big deal.

I apologize for going on, but I'm really having a blast! :D

Mark in Oregon
Last edited by strummer57 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strummer57

Re: (More) Stuff and Observations...

Postby mattb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:27 pm

Obviously most guys graduate from 60's tracks and accessories to newer stuff. Still there is nothing wrong with the 60's stuff once you clean and re-furbish most of it. The Aurora "A Jet" stuff as you show is among the best of the 60's track. It is really a nice track and heavy duty, true 3 1/2 inch lane centers for good spacing with 1/32. Nice deep 1/4 inch slot, so you can run commercial style guides and not the little shallow guide that come in the most of the plastic cars they make today. I think some of the companies actually make a replacement guide that is deeper for the better slot tracks.

Plenty of used track is around, but it is harder to find the outer (21 inch) curves. There are no banked turns available and only one length of straight track, but you can cut the track and make any length you really need. It is good choice for a home track.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strummer57 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:09 pm

strummer57

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Always makes me happy to see vintage track / cars get a new lease on life!
Thanks for sharing the findings and pics!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby strummer57 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:24 pm

strummer57

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:54 pm

Some of us (like me) get lazy and don't reply when we should.

Not boring at all. I agree with these guys. Seeing the classic gear being used again is always cool.

I think sometimes, a lot of us could benefit from just having a set on the floor and just having a fun night playing. We get so caught up in the modifying and competition that we could use a good dose of "where we started" once in awhile.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby mattb » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:02 pm

You won't post much here that we won't discuss. This is the best site on the internet for home racers and do it your self guys.
You won't run into any problems somebody won't have an answer for.

Just my opinion, but I think your Aurora track is much better than Scalex. I've had vintage scale and the new Sport version. The extra lane spacing and deeper sot make the old stuff great track. I'll take it a bit farther.

I have a routed track. I have a bunch of Carrera I used to run on. I love the old Monogram and have a bit of that. I like the Aurora track so much I have a good bit of it. I figure some day I may want a smaller road course at home and go back to scratch built 1/32 cars. I have the Aurora track in case that ever come to be.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strummer57 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:56 pm

strummer57

Return to Vintage Slot Cars