[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - The Champion #285 chassis..best "off the shelf" of 1968 ??

The Champion #285 chassis..best "off the shelf" of 1968 ??

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

The Champion #285 chassis..best "off the shelf" of 1968 ??

Postby chrisguyw » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:08 pm

As a 13 yr. old I got a job at the local "commercial" track (Lorne Park Raceway),..........well, I call it a job, even though it was really cleaning the bathrooms, and restocking the chip and chocolate bar shelves.....( I think I washed my hands most of the time ;) ) ....this was the best I could do as I was too inexperienced to be allowed to work on the cars or really be of any help to the customers. But, it did give me free track time, some needed pocket money, and most importantly to me, I got to hang around and learn from the "fast" guys.

As my scratchbuilding skills at this age were really far from great, I was saved by "Champion of Chamblee" when in 1968 they launched their line of ready built 4 rail chassis , the #285 for 16D motors, and the #286 for 26D motors. At the time these were the closest you could get to "scratchbuilt" performance straight off the shelf, and after cleaning many a bathroom, I finally had enough dough to buy one. For some reason, I chose the #286, which was for the 26D motor.....(it was not long before I realized that the #285, for the 16D would have been the better choice).......anyway, I loved the car, and while neither I or my car could compete with the "big" guys, I certainly got a lot closer than I had ever been.

These ready built chassis' were a saviour to the less experienced builder, and while they were very good, they were soon made obsolete (1969/70) with the advent of the "off the shelf" wire and brass anglewinder chassis. Luckily, by 1970 I was able to build half decent chassis' myself.

That car has lone since gone, and a few years ago, I managed to find a NOS Champion #286 chassis, and the bits, to build another......a little nostalgia tugging at me.

Cheers
Chris Walker

I painted the body to somewhat resemble what I remember of the original, and as it won't be raced in anger, I did add a few details.
My original was a Lancer Lola T160........this is a Truescale Lola T160.

Medium Metallic purple, with some black fogging along the fender lines, with a mustard yellow stripe.

"American Line" cast aluminum 5 spoke wheels front and rear, with Cox "LaCucaracha" knife edge front tires.

The chassis is a 4 rail brass rod affair that you could buy either nickel plated, or natural brass.......the nickel plated versions did not tarnish over time, and I thought at the time that they looked cooler. As is a good idea with any pre built chassis, the solder joints were "undone" so that any "twists" could be removed, and then re soldered. The joints were left to look a bit "blobby" (as they came from the assembly line).

The chassis had a drop arm, and it did not take long to figure out that "freezing" the drop arm in place helped handling considerably.........Thankfully, after 1969 drop arms pretty much disappeared. A bit of dirt on the brushes and on the front of the drop arm are telltales that I took it for a few laps just before picture time.

The car is powered by a heavily modified 26D motor, (magnets/shims/commutator/wind/brushes/springs/heat sinks, balancing, etc. etc.) and runs much quicker and cooler than my original "DynaRewind".
It also runs on urethane tires (for my track),...which are not close to the performance of sponge, but I do have plenty of sponge boots should I take it to a commercial track

Last edited by chrisguyw on Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: The Champion #285 chassis..best "off the shelf" of 1968

Postby sadco racing » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:48 pm

Outstanding, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of as a young boy going to Fishers Hobby shop, looonnggg since closed, and watching the big guys race. Never got a car as a kid but do recall being in the right place at the right time when a car deslotted and the guy asked me to get it for him. Don’t seem like much but I was thrilled lol.
sadco racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:52 pm

In normal Chris W fashion this is gorgeous! The paint and detail on the vac formed body is a pleasure to behold. The whole thing is just incredible Chris: I salute you.

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:33 pm

Chris, seeing all the great stuff you build, I bet your car years ago looked as good as this re-pop. I still have my soldered up car from 65, but it doesn't look anything like the work I see today. I did it with my dad's soldering gun. I did go over it a few yer ago and re-solder with my iron, it is much tighter, but it still looks kind of shabby.

I did recently build another Pactra 2D with a brass tube chassis similiar to what I did years ago. i don't know why because I won't run it hard and it is just going to set on a shelf.

Chris you really do a great job of painting and detailing.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:29 pm

That's gorgeous! The likes I never seen. Inspiring man, Thanks for sharing it!
:text-thankyouyellow:
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kevan » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:19 pm

That's bloody lovely!
Kevan

Postby RBPhillips » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:13 pm

Absolutely a thing of beauty. Not sure which I loved more, the telling of the history, or the images of the finished 2019 car.

I too bit the 26 can hard in late '66 - even converted a Russkit pan Chaparral coupe to one, which only ran about as fast as my rewound Russkit 23 in it. I'm two years older than you, and had stopped racing actively in fall 1967. I tried building a Champion clone myself from nickel-plated tubing, and it came out looking 30% as good as yours.

All my slot cars were built to look good enough, not be ripping fast show cars like yours.... multiple salutes.
RBPhillips

Postby Broman62 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:40 pm

That is one of the most outstanding builds I have ever seen here...awesome CW!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 am

Beautiful detail and reconstruction. Superb paint.

Thanks for posting this.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:06 pm

A beautiful car Chris, particularly the paint. I hadn't known the Champion 285 & 286 chassis were available as both plated & in natural brass. I've seen their chassis kits, but I've never seen any built chassis with the natural brass finish. My preference for natural brass goes way back. Were these brass rod chassis made by AYK in Japan?
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:23 pm

strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olskoolslotz » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:44 am

Very nice build all around !
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby Brumos RSR » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:20 am

Wow, great story car and a share of slot car history
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:19 pm

As a huge fan of the fade and other paint effects, Im totally agog. Naturally, your pristine mechanics bring tears to the eyes.

Simply striking and inspiring Chris. I keep coming back to drool.

Bill
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:47 am

Nice work! I've gotten a bit of the retro Can AM bug myself again since a commercial track opened up near me. I've a couple of cars, one is a Dennis Samson Ferrari 650 and the other a Marc Picone Lola both with JK motors.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars