[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - VIP set, and Christmas memories !

VIP set, and Christmas memories !

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

VIP set, and Christmas memories !

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:42 am

For Christmas 1962, my dad bought me a VIP Slotcar set that he purchased at the London (UK) toy show.
He and my uncle set it up on a table in our basement, and when I discovered it I was the happiest kid in the world.

There is actually a story attached to this, which I should share......Up until I went into the basement, that Christmas was not going very well at all for a 6 yr old kid,...I was getting socks, Soap on a rope (remember that), facecloths, and other really boring stuff, and while I had to politely thank my parents/aunts/uncles, I was becoming increasingly more depressed, as, there did not appear to be a toy in sight...not even a bag of "Green army men". After the unwrapping was over, my father worsened my mood by asking/telling me to go to the basement to retrieve some more wood from the wood box, so the adults could enjoy a big fire and sip their eggnog. I flipped the light switch, saw the track, and almost peed myself with delight !!

Anyway, I still have those cars (track is long gone), and as it is the season to remember Christmas' past, I though I would post a few pics. of those "Christmas" cars

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS hope you all have some good Xmas memories.

My original cars,......all I have done over the last 55 years is to clean them, and, replace a few parts with original bits.........they still run great, not the fastest, but, very smooth and quiet.

The following pics. were stolen off "Images" to show the track/set/chassis......they are unfortunately a bit small.

The set as it came....

The Smooth metal track....much nicer looking than black plastic......looks like this one has had a few sections "copper taped"

And an underside, showing the 5 pole motor, independant front wheels, and "Ackerman" steering.....really advanced cars for the time.

Last edited by chrisguyw on Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: VIP set, and Christmas memories !

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:18 am

Chris, thanks for sharing....what a great story. Wondering if the fire ever was lit? Lol
I am sure they got a huge thrill out of surprising you that way.

Thanks for sharing....nice vintage cars!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:14 pm

Chris a VIP set was on Ebay a few weeks ago for $50-$60. I looked long and hard, but I am trying to get out of the track business. From now on if one shows up cheap, I will forward it to you. I have sets just for the memories of looking at them.

The Monogram Riverside and Marx/Sears 1/24 sets were all a kid could ask for back then. Of course, I had neither, I had a pretty worthless Strombecker set! Over the years I picked up most types of sets and still have a lot of Monogram and a couple Marx 1/24. For quite a few years, Marx 1/24 was my basement track. I also have an Eldon 1/24 set. Shallow slot, but it is wide track! The set kind of goes with all the extra Eldon 1/24 track I picked up a few years ago.

You need one of those VIP sets to put under your tree!!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Great story, thanks for sharing.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:05 pm

That is really cool! Nice looking cars too.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Every time I think I have seen all the slot car stuff, along comes something really cool I never even heard of. I lived in London Ontario in those days (moved there from Louisiana Gulf Coast), and there were lots of UK slot car things around, but I never saw that.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:00 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:23 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Great Christmas story!That is your time machine.. :)
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:17 pm

Chris, it's the same problem all us old guys have. You know some day somebody else will have to sort thru and clear out all out all your "stuff". I am trying to clear out track and cars and just get to the point I really like what I keep.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Great story and very special that you still have the original cars!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Cool Memories!

I posted something similar on the other forum for Christmas of 2013, as that was the 50th anniversary of my VIP Christmas:

http://slotcarillustrated.com/portal/fo ... hp?t=76346

I spent the year leading up to that holiday scouring eBay for parts and cars and managed to replicate the original track and cars, plus a few other goodies that I did not have back in the day.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:03 pm

mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LolaGT » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:38 pm

After reading this article. I realized that I have a VIP BRM P57? body in my stash, but didn't know what it was. I'd like to restore it, so would anyone know of where I can get a good photo of the underside so I can see what parts I'm missing?

Thank you
Ken
LolaGT

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Vintage Slot Cars