[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Revell Mercedes Benz Gullwing & Ferrari 250 GTO

Revell Mercedes Benz Gullwing & Ferrari 250 GTO

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Revell Mercedes Benz Gullwing & Ferrari 250 GTO

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:39 pm

Just traded for these Revell cars, the Mercedes Benz Gullwing and Ferrari 250 GTO. I missed the early slot car era, so these are very much "new" to me.

They came with current urethane tires so a run on my wood track will reveal all. The Ferrari drives smooth and quiet but I can't say that for the noisy Mercedes. Seems the gear mesh is off.

No matter, I appreciate these vintage cars and will improve them.

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Revell Mercedes Benz Gullwing & Ferrari 250 GTO

Postby NHBandit » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:45 pm

Very nice. I like the old Revell stuff and have several
NHBandit

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:54 pm

You got the nice ladder chassis cars....better than the home set cars. The will run well. Nice trade, I like the vintage Revell cars.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby lotuscortina » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:44 pm

Very nice, would love those myself.
Nige.
lotuscortina

Postby Mitch58 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:18 am

I have a few of those, I enjoy just running them around the track. As for the gear, you can replace the crown with a Cox plastic gear, it's the same pitch and much quieter.
Last edited by Mitch58 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:23 pm

Very cool, have FUN with those old rides - I've had plenty with mine!
Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:58 pm

Good find Dan !!.....just for your info., the grey motor is an original Revell, while the red can is a Monogram,...identical original performance, but may be different today, depending on their relative shape......both easy enough to refurbish if needed.

As far as the gears/mesh, they both have stamped metal crowns, which were never the best, and if the mesh was not set properly from day one, they had a propensity to chew pinions. Again, an easy fix as 48P pinions are easy and inexpensive to find, and either Cox or Parma PSE crowns in conjunction with a new pinion will provide a very quiet/smooth mesh. Gear in the 3.5 to 4.0 to 1 range......8 x 28 is a good starting point.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Quickcars » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:47 pm

Nice, I have a couple. I especially enjoy this one...

cooper (1).jpg
cooper1 (1).jpg
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Guildman » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:53 am

My first really hot club car was a Revell 1/32nd Cobra. I wanted a GTO, but the Co-Op didn't have any so I had to have a Cobra. Metallic blue plastic, 29 shillings and sixpence. A LOT of my pocket money in those days, but well worth it. A few years ago at the Little Gransden Air and Old Car Show I found another Revell Cobra in an ancient Scalextric box (oddly) for ten pounds so I had to have it. Mentioning my nostalgia trip to a car collecting friend, I was delighted a few months later when he visited and said Happy Birthday, giving me a large box full of Revell cars in various states of needing repairs, but I love to restore them and I now have every car in that range except the Merc. which I don't like anyway. I got a spare GTO, which I've done in BRP colours for Moss.
This all led to yet more gifts of what other chums thought were "beyond repair", but I have the belief, "Ain't nuttn' can't be fixed", so now have yet more goodies, some on Monogram chassis, some on old Riko chassis and some on Revell ladder chassis. One of them (the Aston Martin, which came with a huge hole in the side) has a 13UO motor, rather than the 16D.
I love these old cars and love to use them when I can. It has even led to my restoring some older Monograms and Strombeckers for American chaps professionally. But that old plastic? Weird stuff to repair, but not always, very odd inconsistency.

Martin
Guildman

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:09 am

I've noticed that about the plastic, too. I had a Mercedes in sad shape for years before I finally got serious about it. It turned out to be a fine car, after I found the right combination of filler, sanding, primer and paint for it. Nothing was normal.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to Vintage Slot Cars