Estate sale score!

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Estate sale score!

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 am

I Actually got this off let go from a guy who scored it at an estate sale. He flipped it for a profit, and I was happy to pay him his $20 asking price........... :oops: The case is mint, and there are two cars in there that are really sweet. The 1963 Monogram Ferrari is complete, just dissembled, and the KB Indy car is complete and running, needing a complete makeover. The rest are pretty much Eldon and strombecker bodies that all need stripped. I also got the complete Eldon race set with track controllers, power supply, guard rails and start/finish overheads. I am re searching this case to find out the years it was sold, and who made it, so if anyone recognizes it, let me know. All in all, a great find at a good price.
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Estate sale score!

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:36 am

Nice one, Bob!
Those cases aren't especially rare that I know of but they aren't often in as nice shape nor full like that one. Plenty of fun to be had with that, especially at that price point!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:41 am

Even a blind squirrel! Good for you Bob.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Z-carfan » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:30 am

Wow, great score!!
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:05 am

Good deal Bob. What are the details of the #98 Watson ?

Over the years I've picked up 5-6 of those cases. When we get somebody new racing with us and they bring carry their cars in an old shoe box, I give them one of those old cases! If you have modern 1/24 stuff, you pretty much have to take the plastic tray out. A 12 year old kid thinks they are real slot guys when they have a case that says they are slot racers!!

I don't remember much, but back in 65, there must have been many companies that added some type of slot racing product to their normal product line. I do know that the Hoffman company was busy making fishing tackle boxes and I think some kind of machinist tool boxes before they added the slot car boxes to their lineup in 64.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:29 am

LOL. That's what Harry did for me when I showed up at HRW with my cars in a cardboard box! he gave me a sweet custom made wood box with HRW emblazoned on the front. I cherish it for sure! Ive been told this may have been a Strombecker offering? This case has little value I'm sure, but it is about as cool as it gets to look at.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby mattb » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:33 am

Bob those cases were made and sold by some plastics company as just another product in their line. Probably they made attache cases and stuff like that. I have had a few with the paper work inside. I have 2 I haven't opened for a long time. I will open them later and see if there is any paper inside. I also have one I have taken the tray out of and it is my traveling tool kit and parts box. With the junk I take to the track, I am always making repairs and fixing the other guys cars.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:34 pm

10-4 guys. I have to agree on a very cool score here.
Just about every slot car parlor in the '60s along with some discount department and hobby/toy stores sold those vinyl cases, at least here in the NY Metro/Tri State area. I think I've accumulated two or three myself, at least one of which has the name of a current personal friend written on the ID panel! And I say this NOT to belittle the value of yours for one second, as many are now found torn badly and/or with paint, mold, or worse covering them these days. As you said, your looks to be in excellent shape, a nice piece for your collection or special race nights. It was a cool, affordable box for the guys to have back then, and of course many were decorated with period vinyl racing stickers such as STP, Moon Eyes, ect.
Very few, if any, of the kids in my neighborhood had anywhere near enough bread of their own or could convince their parents to buy them one of the expensive professional type wooden boxes like those made by Hoffman Bros. in Paramount, California. I'm lucky to have found a few of those at the model/slot shows over the decades (usually not cheap), and very much enjoy using those very cool wooden boxes today.

As for the contents of that vinyl case and all the ELDON stuff that came to you for a whole $20... outstanding score!

Thanks for the photos, and... Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby viejoronnie » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:23 pm

btaylor

I could use one of those Eldon 2C bodies to cast a 2C rear deck, if you could spare it.

Ronnie
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars