[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Aurora Mustang

Aurora Mustang

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Re: Aurora Mustang

Postby SRQSloter » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:32 am

Very nicely done. Clean! :text-bravo:
SRQSloter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bobbyraz49 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:44 am

NICE !
As a kid I raced HO cars and had a TON of track. Aurora was always my favorite cars because they looked realistic and ran at a reasonable speed.
bobbyraz49
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:32 pm

Man...that cleaned up real nice...great job and find!! :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby historiceng » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:53 pm

That is such a nice job, you must feel very satisfied having brought a car back to life. Now that it is an appealing classic, it will survive and survive for generations..... that's the best bit.
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:27 pm

Now thats what i call mzking a silk purse from a pigs ear.
Beautiful resto man.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby noddaz » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 pm

That cleaned up real nice! How hard would it be to make a brass pan that attaches with existing holes? Not that you should.
Scott
noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strummer57 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:25 am

Just joined here so I'm a little late to the conversation.

You did a fantastic job restoring that; well done!

My brother and I got an Aurora 1/32 set back in 1966, which had both this car (in red) and the GTO (in yellow).

Now that I'm old, I'm drawn back towards this hobby and just now "pulled the trigger" (eBay) on one of these: red, just like what I had so long ago.

Hope I can get advice from you all when it arrives..

Mark in Oregon
Last edited by strummer57 on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
strummer57

Postby Fitzy » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:37 am

It's great that these cars can still be found in good shape takes some time hunting for them but they are out there and can even be found at a reasonable price sometimes. I found this Ford GT40 also same thing a little cleanup new set of tires and some new brushes this thing runs fantastic for it's age just run a few laps around our Monogram track with.
Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:27 pm

Great looking rides.These vintage cars are really fun to run!
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strummer57 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:28 am

"A Blast From My Past"....

My "new" '60s vintage Mustang arrived this morning, and talk about de ja vu...it's pretty much the way (I think) I remember it:

Aurora #1.jpg

It runs fine; the only issue I see is that the pick-up "flag" (is that the correct term?) is quite a bit larger than what's on my Scalextric cars:

Fronts....jpg

...so it has a tendency to "hop" a little at some of the track joints. It has a depth of 9/32"; the track slot is only 6/32".

I'd rather keep the "flag" stock, so is there an easy way to fix this? Perhaps swapping out this for a Scalextric (or some other) part?

I await your advice... :)

Mark in Oregon

EDIT: I've noticed that the rear tires are slightly different in size; what would be a good replacement item? Thanks!
strummer57

Postby chrisguyw » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:52 pm

Hi Mark,......nice find !!

Both issues are easy(ish) fixes,......1st, If I recall correctly, the guide post on the K&B/Aurora 1/32 cars is 1/8 in dia., so you can order a TSRF (TSP1) guide from Professor Mtr./Electric Dreams etc., and this will be an easy installation....(the Prof. Mtr. kit does come with braid, guide spacer, and nut), although you can use the set screw collar that secures the guide on your car.
(Finding a 1/8 guide post will eliminated the need to "open" the guide hole on your existing chassis).

If you have a tire truer (I am guessing not),...you can cut the tires to equal dia., which will not only improve handling, but, will likely expose fresh(er) rubber, and improve grip.
Or,......Slot Car Corner/Electric Dreams/Prof. Mtr. etc., all sell tires for the double flanged wheels that are on your car.......it is important that you look for tires for "double flanged" wheels......these are markedly different from the center rib wheels/tires found on most newer cars.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Chris Walker
Last edited by chrisguyw on Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strummer57 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:27 pm

strummer57

Previous

Return to Vintage Slot Cars