[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/24 Russkit McLaren "Carrera"

1/24 Russkit McLaren "Carrera"

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

1/24 Russkit McLaren "Carrera"

Postby chrisguyw » Sun May 06, 2018 12:05 pm

In the mid 60's Russkit launched their 1/24 "Carrera" series cars...(Lotus 40, Chaparral 2D, Porsche Carrera 6, and McLaren) and these aluminum pan chassis cars with a 16D sidewinder, were THE RTR cars to beat...in fact, you had to be an accomplished builder to scratchbuild something much quicker. Invariably they were re motored, re tired, and tuned to make a formidable car for the commercial tracks. They are still a favourite today among Vintage racers.

I did have a couple of these in my box. and they were run very successfully until 1967 (ish) , when both my scratchbuilding skills improved, and companies like Champion, started to sell competition chassis.

I built this one from some NOS parts that I collected.......it also has a few chassis mods/original formula Ortmann tires and a fully reworked Russkit 22 motor from John Havlicek.

It is quicker than any of my plastic cars on my home wood track!!

Cheers
Chris Walker

PS The mid 60's cars were quite accurate in their 1/24 dimensions (they were not stretched until the late 60's)......so.....they fit very nicely on my 3 3/4 lane spacing

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/24 Russkit McLaren "Carrera"

Postby gascarnut » Sun May 06, 2018 12:29 pm

Wonderful!

I see you used a Parma guide rather than the old Russkit angled-post thing. Did you have to flatten out the drop arm, and how did you do that? I'm always a little wary of trying to rebend old aluminum.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RBPhillips » Sun May 06, 2018 1:08 pm

Again, I love those things, too. In our area each New Big Thing hit quickly and the Carrera series stamped chassis cars hit right after the Cox guys gave up for good and just before the 26Ds hit. They were universally referred to as Russkit Pan, not the name on the box. For some reason, we had many Porsches and some Chapparal coupes, then nary any of the other body offerings. I got one, naturally, and up to that time it was the fastest lapping out of the box car ever. The snappier motor - the 23? really made the car. RIggen rears ruled our parlor, so most sported them. I believe I tried 'em, but soon went back to my favorite U-Gos.

But gosh, would they run. Easiest to get started with, be respectfully competitive, and easiest not to look stupid with!
RBPhillips

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun May 06, 2018 1:15 pm

Outstanding result.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chrisguyw » Sun May 06, 2018 2:41 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Gorgeous looker :auto-driving: :auto-driving:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kidvoltage » Sun May 06, 2018 6:57 pm

She's a beauty for sure.

Were you able to find the green (strontium I think) axles? I'm still looking for one to rebuild the one I have which also has a Havlicek motor at the ready. I'm going with the Carrera 6 body on mine.

My favorite body from back in the day.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun May 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Russkit was great. I still have a few motors in their original boxes from them, including a purple 26D. I should get them out and run them just to see.

Great job, BTW. If I were to pay someone to build one for me, that is exactly what I would be hoping for.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chrisguyw » Sun May 06, 2018 9:35 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Mon May 07, 2018 4:51 am

That is a gorgeous car, very nice work!!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby olskoolslotz » Mon May 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Nice effort on the McLaren.

In the Carrera series there was also the Chaparral 2 roadster and the inline Carrera series Eagle and Honda F1. The Russkit 16D motors used in the series progressed from the "22" to the "23" and eventually the "27". I've had examples of all of these and new mint kits through the years. I used a Carrera sidewinder chassis and "23" motor in the building my 2002 Bordeaux vintage entry. It worked out very well being beaten in the racing only by two Italian Mini Dream chassis which were not truly in the spirit of the rules due the the small non-scale diameter wheels & tires used for those cars. I just sold my last 2D several weeks ago, still have a Chappy roadster, one Mclaren and about three of the Porsche's. Sold all of my Carrera series F1 cars too, had several of the Eagles along the way.
olskoolslotz
"THE Champ"

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon May 07, 2018 4:39 pm

I knew I was going to regret saying that. Now I have to go dig through 55 years of slot car stuff to find out... yeah, like I don't love doing that! I'll know pretty soon what that rascal is. There's also some "Bobcat" motors I think were for drag racing, and some rough looking Cox motors, along with new brushes still in the package that I never used, maybe some armatures, too.
Last edited by waaytoomuchintothis on Thu May 10, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chrisguyw » Tue May 08, 2018 8:00 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Tue May 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Hi Chris,

Really appreciate seeing and learning about this vintage stuff. Just missed that era as all the local raceways had closed by the time of my interest.

Keep on posting!

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 10, 2018 12:03 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Next

Return to Vintage Slot Cars