[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Cox 1/24 BRM

Cox 1/24 BRM

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Cox 1/24 BRM

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:38 am

I was always a Graham Hill fan, and a bit of a BRM fan, however, I was not really a Cox fan, as while they were certainly beautiful, they were not the hot ticket at the commercial tracks, so, my Slotbox did not have any Cox cars in it..................fast forward a few years (actually several) and I began to buy a few Cox cars on epay to build up and put in my display case. Interestingly enough, they are more at home on my "club" track than they ever were on the commercial monsters.

Anyway, I built this Cox BRM 10/15 years ago, (I just re discovered the pictures hidden in a family holiday file) and thought it worth a post. I don't have any chassis pics., but, it is a series II car (can drive), and has had a few other minor tweaks, including a major motor rebuild.....runs great!!......quicker than many current plastic cars.

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Cox 1/24 BRM

Postby kidvoltage » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:34 am

Beautiful - if a little over detailed for a COX car. 8-) Wonderful job on the interior.
kidvoltage
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:06 pm

The best looking Cox BRM I have ever seen.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm

As you said these were dogs back in the 60's and nobody seriously raced them. 50 years later, I have a few on the shelves, too. They are iconic slot cars from 1965 for most guys. I think it would be great if you got 4-5 guys that collected old stuff together to race these old cars for fun. The Ford GT. Chap, Lotus, etc are great models and when tweaked a little they can run fairly fast. I know one of the groups in Mi. does occaisionally race these cars. One of the guys In Oz I know well used to participate in a weekend slot get together and vintage Cox s/w were the required cars.

Only one guy I race with that even knows slots from the 60's. Most of the guys think Flexi cars are vintage!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Matt, that's just sad. Educate their scrawny little butts! Young whippersnappers, dadburn it!

Chris, I saw the same thing back in the day. People were concerned about how fragile they were, which was odd, since they were built like a tank and heavier than needed. I can't see it in your pictures, but does it have the black nylon front suspension that hangs from a single screw in the magnesium step frame? It always looked fragile to me but I never saw one that even cracked, much less broke.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 pm

20 years ago there was a group of us in Columbus that ran vintage 60s cars periodically, yup. The Cox cars would never compete with the rewinds using a brass chassis, but the were pretty decent for RTR cars. Those 1/24 F1 cars have the 16D motor correct? The sports cars had the 36D sidewinder in magnesium unless they were iso-fulcrum cars.

Nice work, Chris....they can be pretty cars so modelers still want them, and a club track is the perfect home!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:30 pm

Lovely car Chris.

But I must admit that I have always had a soft spot for Cox cars. For me the jump from Scalextric set cars to my first Cox GT40 was incredible. That gave them a special place in my slot racing heart.

Cheers

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Paul, I remember sending Jack a green Monogram Lola T70 vac form car for that series. Man, that was a few years ago!!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

Ohhhh... YEAH! Beautiful build. Enjoy it! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue May 15, 2018 10:34 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue May 15, 2018 10:54 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:35 pm

Gorgeous work, Chris! What goes over that brass modified Cox chassis?

My Dino is nowhere near as pretty as yours. My dad had a NIB Double Dino kit which I foolishly assembled 30 years ago....and fogged all the glass. Grrrr. But it runs pretty well for a 60s RTR.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue May 15, 2018 2:47 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars