Magnet for Eldon blue can motor

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Magnet for Eldon blue can motor

Postby oz10k » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:28 pm

I picked-up an old Eldon that was close to dead. Eventually I took the motor apart and discovered one of the magnets had broken into two pieces.

I'm guessing I can NOT simply epoxy the two pieces back together without really screwing up the magnetic fields. Right? Maybe with metal filled epoxy?

Digging though the spare parts box I found some other motor magnets that are just a little bit too big. Has anyone tried to cut and shape magnets? If so, how did you do it, and how well did it work?

Thanks,
Ron
oz10k

Re: Magnet for Eldon blue can motor

Postby btaylor » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:40 pm

I have shaped them for HO cars in the past, and good results. shouldn't be any harder for the Eldon.
I found a file worked well shaping them. some are actually quite soft.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Magnet for Eldon blue can motor

Postby chappyman66 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:26 pm

You are correct that you can't epoxy the magnet back together. Once broken they each for separate poles which can't be re--aligned by gluing.

Yes, you can use other magnets and reshape them by sanding or filing. If you do this, replace both magnets so they are matched. The motor won't run well (if at all) with one old and one new magnet. Symmetrical spacing is the most important thing - make sure that the arm has the same gap on both sides when you are done. If it doesn't spin smoothly it probably won't run well...or it will scream and burn up. :D
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars