[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Improving the Cox chassis!..chassis finished!!

Improving the Cox chassis!..chassis finished!!

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Improving the Cox chassis!..chassis finished!!

Postby chrisguyw » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Folks, For those that know the Cox chassis, this thread will have some interest, as you will be able to see/understand the modifications.........for those not familiar with the chassis, please feel free to look at the pretty pictures!! :)

My first "serious" 1/24 slot car was a Cox Team Modified Cheetah.......Or at least I thought it was serious until I got blown away by the Russkit Carrera's and the hybrid Dynamic/brass scratchbuilts, on my first visit to the local commercial track. At that point I turned my back on the Cox cars, in my search for speed.

Years later, I still love the cars, and with a lot of vintage racing going on in Europe, I have committed myself to trying to get one going......well enough to travel to France and the Bordeaux vintage meet.

Three things need addressing with this chassis...1/ lower the front ride height, but still use scale sized wheels/tires, 2/ Freeze the drop arm, and allow for some guide height adjustment, and , 3/ add a lot of weight low and to the sides via body pans.

I did want to engineer something that was simple, and would not require altering the original chassis, in case I wanted to return it to stock.

The following pics. are of the results

Cheers
Chris Walker

Last edited by chrisguyw on Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Improving the Cox chassis!

Postby gonegonzo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Fantastic >>>>> give us more .

Gonzo
gonegonzo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:14 pm

That's slot car art.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Beautiful. I love that Cox chassis, just because.

Cheers

Dan
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:43 pm

Nice work. As high as those chassis set, I would probably put a full pan under the chassis and set the frame on top of the chassis. One thing I learned from a friend in OZ, the Lotus 40 body is the lowest center of gravity of all those bodies and that is what was always the fastest Cox car in their annual Cox mag frame races.

It is funny that Cox has become the car for collectors, due no doubt to the great packaging and scale model quality. They were one of the poorest performing cars of the 60's. The iso chassis was a great improvement, even if a little late in the game.

Those Cox cars do look great on the shelf!
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:13 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:45 pm

I see. I didn't realize you had the Dino frame, I thought it was probably a team modified frame. It is really nice work. Those Dinos are great models.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:19 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:32 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VTECFOUR » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:29 pm

Wow! This is so timely for my winter project.

Did you paint your Dino's body? If so, what paint?

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:02 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Improving the Cox chassis!..chassis finished!!

Postby chrisguyw » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:07 am

The rolling chassis is all finished.......For Vintage Racing rules, all parts must be period correct...in this case, parts must be from mid 60's.
Now, on to the Body!

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Improving the Cox chassis!..chassis finished!!

Postby mattb » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:09 am

Outstanding work. Here's a couple pix in regard to your track and the Simoniz car. Look familiar?P1010006.JPGP1010015.JPG
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars