values

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

values

Postby epowr » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:42 pm

Is there any books out there on vintage slot car values?
epowr

Re: values

Postby kaneohekid » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:57 am

Check ebay or other sites that list cars for sale. I would monitor these sites for a couple of weeks to get an idea of what the going price are for some of the cars or brands you are looking at. Unfortunately, nobody has come out w/a price guide for vintage cars. I would also monitor websites that have forums for vintage cars, subscribe to slot car magazines, and talk/dialogue with people that are knowledgeable about vintage cars.
Aloha,
Rick
kaneohekid

Postby dge467 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:27 am

I check Ebay.Type in the item, then click on the word advance to the right of the listing. Then go to sold, and click on it. It will give you all the sold listings of that item. I usually base my value on the sold price average.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby epowr » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:30 am

What about this set - any thoughts?
epowr

Postby RichD » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:59 am

It would be nearly impossible to compile such a book. For some makes at least you can find out what was made in the first place. With luck there might be data on how many examples of each individual car were made. Bob Beers book on Aurora cars, for example, has information on how rare a particular car might be. Setting a price for a car would certainly be difficult, if a person did not like a particular car it would have little value to him, if he liked the car and needed one to complete his collection that could really drive the price up. Besides checking auction sites like ebay you could also look for online dealers that sell collectors cars. There are a few people that have huge collections of cars, here is one of those: http://bernardsslotcarmuseum.com/ . Possibly you could contact one of them for advice.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:54 pm

I've been collecting, buying and selling vintage 1/24 slots since 1985. There is no guide for pricing. There are actually not even a lot of guys that really know what is what from 1965. In my case, I had to re-learn everything when I got back into it in 85. It takes a lot of exposure, swap meets, trading and asking questions to know who made what and how hard it is to find. After all that, you have some idea of rarity and value, but the value part fluctuates from day to day by sometimes $100 or more. Best way to get an idea is to ask on forums, although much of that info is not really accurate or find one or two guys that really know and that you can trust and ask them. The most upto date pricing will come from looking at completed auctions on Ebay. You do know what stuff sells for that way and not what asking prices are.

All that said, slot car sets are not very collectable, unless they are Monogram or a few 1/24 sets. Then it is usually the cars that make them collectable. Still a limited market. The set you pictured would be at near the bottom of the $ amount for old race sets, unless it is brand spanking new. Being a used set in good shape, I doubt it is worth more then $20 or so. Just my opinions.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby epowr » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:14 pm

Wow, good info group, glad I did not buy this at $125!!
epowr

Return to Vintage Slot Cars