[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Help ID this car please...Restoration in Progress!

Help ID this car please...Restoration in Progress!

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Re: Help ID this car please

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:43 am

I have forgotten the name of it, but there was a GM prototype (I think SCX did it in 1/32) that would look very similar to that. It was silver with a pair of red stripes, and it had a huge wing over the center of the body. I don't know about any manufacturer who made an aluminum bodied car, and that looks like a carefully constructed model of the real chassis, done in brass. The joints are sloppy but strong, also a mark of a home made chassis. I can't guess about the motor because I can't really see it. Aluminum is pretty easy to work with in small items like a slot car, as long as you don't need to weld . Tiny welding is tough and requires special tools which I don't imagine were around when that was made.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby btaylor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:47 am

Rob, Did you mean this one?Image
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby eightwheels » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 pm

the motor looks like a pitman 704 new version. I use the 704 but moved the axle to the rear for better weight transfer.
eightwheels
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:52 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:08 pm

Although it does look like a "sigma" I sort of ruled this out as the Sigma did not make its first appearance until March 1969, and judging by the parts used on the slot car, I tend to think it was built a couple of years prior to that. (Maybe it was built by Paolo Martin.....the sigma designer....as a precursor to the real thing) 8-)

The motor used in the car is a Pitman, but it is the 706, not the 704......the brass side plates are the giveaway.

Anyway, it is a great find, ditch the rear orange sponge, and enjoy the patina!!

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:15 pm

If it didn't have the open wheels , I'd say Chevette racing car from the 60's
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:38 am

If you do remove the motor, take the opportunity to soak and scrub all that commercial track crap off of it. Do you know any reloaders? That chassis would be a work of art after an all night tumble in a brass cleaner.

Thinking about the body, If someone was going to do a fantasy body in aluminum, those shapes would be the easiest to craft together. Maybe that's the answer.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby BIG E » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

At a quick glance it looks like someone was making a copy of the old AMT 1/25 plastic kit Piranha drag car.
I'm assuming the body work is aluminum? Cool looking brass tubing "birdcage" frame.
Thanks for sharing... Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Hi Jeremy.......looking good!!!......it cleaned up well, and still kept its vintage patina look.

I am sure you know this, but, isopropyl is not generally regarded as the hot tip for cleaning sintered bronze bushings, as it has a tendency to leech the oil from the bushing......I trust you have re oiled (lightly) both the armature and axle oilites.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:49 pm

That thing is awesome, well deserving of the work you are putting into it. Looking forward to seeing it ready to turn some laps.
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:08 pm

Jeremy,
I love the fact that you are giving this some love and care. This is really a unique car, and cleaning it up and running it will be very cool. Someone took quite a bit of time building that chassis and forming those panels, so it's an impressive project all the way around.
Nicely done!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Help ID this car please...Restoration in Progress!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Jeremy, did the decals give you a clue about what that thing is? I still call it "Jeremy's thing", and sooner or later I may accidentally say it out loud and be embarrassed.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby MrAdept » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:47 pm

Really enjoying the progress - it's almost a pity to put the covers back on as the chassis is really neat.

Mark
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vins123 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Hi Jeremy
you did a marvelous job on the polish are familiar with autosol? it is somekind of metal polish, the metal part of you car will become really shiny, i used that whan i want to clean my $1. CDN and it comes like new!!!
and a light coat of clear might help to keep the nice result you have, metal untreated usually do not last very long..
i hope it help you
Sylvain
vins123
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racie35 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:59 am

That's a really neat car. Makes me wanna break out the soldering iron and brass!
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Vintage Slot Cars