[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Digital Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

Digital Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Re: Digital Vintage Road Racing Roadsters

Postby CVGshadow » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm in, this is a great thread. One of the greatest (and most overlooked) things about digital is the modeling aspect.
CVGshadow

Postby btaylor » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Your Killing me Mike! A D jag, and now a Birdie!!! The realism of several vintage sports cars running at the same time on a two lane track is just about to much. Throw in mandatory pit stops, and im sunk. I most time race by myself, so having multiple cars running while I make my way through the pack sounds like so much fun. Have you been able to get the scale speed out of the cars like us old timers like?
Good stuff here Mike

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:38 pm

Very cool!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:46 pm

I haven't tried messing with the power levels yet. I had to rewire my APB as it came to me with the brains cut away from the base track. I did get her wired back up and have confirmed that it works. But since that time, I haven't had the time to put into it. Most of the time I have done on this track to date was with my original C7030 6 car PB which doesn't have that feature. There is no problem powering these cars down to NC1'esq type motors. The issues that come up are when you want to run 6 hot rod motors like the folks on those other boards want to do. But that is not our problem. The bonus for us if the APB works as advertised will be if we are able to adjust power to the lower levels we like without having to remotor everything that comes through the door.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:20 am

Mike, Since I don't go to any other boards that have this info, Could you answer a few questions on this.
1. can you use the power base in a remote location through extended wiring.
2. Do the ghost cars or whatever they are called, be programed for pit stops.
3. Can the controllers be extended by adding extra wire.
4. Do the lane change tracks have to have their own power source.
Thanks in advance

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:44 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:58 am

Thanks Mike, I will probably be watching those for days!
I am not good with modern electronics. I can do most wiring on any of the old stuff with no problems, but extending wires and things like that on PC type cables scares me a bit. This looks easy enough, but I know that can be deceiving. Of course I am wanting a two lane track that does not have digital towers and things on the track table, that looks like an standard road course, but functions in digital format.
not to much to ask right? :lol:

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:46 am

I am no more tech inclined that you. My APB came to me already cut in two but not finished. The wires were snipped at about where the brain box met the base track. There are 8 data wires connecting the brain to the sensors in the base track and two pair of heavier power feed wires to the track rails for a total of four wires there. I used common 4 pair telephone wire to patch the data wires and extend them 8 ft. I used a four pin flat trailer light plug to connect the power feed wires a similar length. The data wires are color coded so all you have to do is keep the color colors together when you solder them up. I insulated the splices with shrink tube. Pretty basic stuff.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:35 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 am

Mike, I assume you will running these no mag. Are you using the guide that has the sensor in it? or will be?
I like that option from what I have read.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:32 am

No Sir, I haven't gotten so far yet as to take out the mags. Right now, I don't have any aprons set up so running magless would be futile. This digital thing currently is totally in the testing and learning phase. I have some more track pieces coming in the mail. When they get here, I will anchor the track down to the table and then will cut out borders from some kind of 1/4 inch sheet stock. I don't like the Scaley borders. They look tacky and don't stay attached very well.

I have not chipped any non Scaley cars yet. Until I run out of them, these Roaring Racing Roadsters are all going on chassis from the identical Scaley START jelly bean looking cars that came with the set up that I have. That keeps them all standardized for an IROC which is a positive to me. I have put three DPR chips into DPR plug in ready cars that I have which include 2 Scaley 70 Camaros and one Scaley MGB. I have three universal chips waiting for me to get around to them. That guide that you mentioned is pretty cool. It will allow the chip to be mounted anywhere, in the trunk, upright beside the motor, wherever. All you have to do is put a long enough wire to connect the LED mounted in the front of the guide, to the chip, wherever it is. The other benefit is that by having the LED in the guide, there is no way for the photo sensor in the track from missing the signal from the LED. If you are running no mag with the tail out, that is an issue. AS provided, the car HAS TO BE running straight in line as it crosses the photo cell or the signal to the lane changer will be missed. This allows you to put your lane changers pretty much anywhere in the track and run magless without issue. If you want to run a front engine car, the motor sits right where the LED needs to be in the stock set up. The guide takes care of that.

P.S. I did some testing laps on the Jag last night. She runs great but has too much power for this type of car. Can't wait to get the mags out and then to play around with the power settings in the APB to see how well the extra power can be dialed out.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:28 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:41 am

What a start on a great field of cars! How many of these are you planning on doing to start with? A full six car field? This is just too cool.
Some of the video available on this set up is amazing. The amount of control over each and every car on the track is staggering. And even the programming looks to be fairly simple. This could be a lot of fun.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:49 am

I have (had) five SSD Start cars to donate their chassis. Three down, two to go.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Mike, I just realized I had hijacked your thread talking about the track, and not the cars. I will post any more questions in your other thread about the track.
Sorry, I got carried away on this.
Great job on the cars, which is what this was all about.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Vintage Slot Cars