[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Who makes this Jaguar

Who makes this Jaguar

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

Who makes this Jaguar

Postby dge467 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:07 pm

dge467
The King of Foil

Re: Who makes this Jaguar

Postby BIG E » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:14 am

Took a quick run into the basement this morning and looked at the used in original box 1/32 scale MARX XK-E I've got in my collection. They appear to be similar - the factory painted numbers on the trunk are what aroused my suspicion. Mine is red with two white stripes running the length of the hood on both sides, and a number 33 on the trunk, (the side numbers are worn off) the same font as on your car. So... my first "guesstimate" is gonna be the big cat is a MARX. BUT...
Yours appears to be painted, mine is molded in color, and I have seen similar numbers in decal form. The body shape doesn't look the same, MARX was never known for accurate looking slot car bodies, whether they be HO, 1/32 or 1/24. Mine appears more flat in profile, and the door line looks different, too. So... another trip to the basement and I pulled the NOS Strombecker 1/32 scale "Jaguar XKE Racing" body shell kit from the shelf. Lucky for us those boxes weren't factory sealed, so I was able to remove the contents and give them a good looking over. The door line looks more like your model, but the rib running along the top of both front wheel wells was not present (not on the MARX Jag either, for that matter). My Jag is a coupe, but the driver and seat back details on the molded interior insert look different also. Now, I'm thinking -- hey, wait a minute -- what scale is this thing you've got here, my friend? Could it be a 1/24 scale MARX Jag, which could be completely different tooling? I know they made a big scale Ferrari 250 GTO for their "Allstate" sets, but I can't remember what the other body was (it might have well been another Ferrari simply molded in a different color).
So -- ultimately -- is it an ELDON Jag, or maybe a Scalextric? I don't have clean samples of either to compare to, so I can't be certain for sure at this point (after all this morning madness!). Ya sure got my brain (and legs) in gear early on a hot Saturday, though! My friend, you and I have a lot of laughs to share this coming October 4th at the Classic Plastic Model Car Exhibition (in Lawrence, MA). See ya there (and please don't forget that cool MINRA paperwork you found, if you're OK with bringing it out). It's been way past two hours since I started working on this post, so maybe by the time I actually enter it someone else may already have had a definitive answer for us! Hope all this gives you some ideas about your mystery Jaguar. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)

PS -- Man, what's so wrong with us Americans calling it a 'bonnet' a hood, a 'wing' a fender and a 'boot' a trunk, anyway?
After all, we're Americans, right?! :>) - E
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:52 am

It looks like Eldon to me, but for confirmation, take a photo of the inside so we can see the spots where the posts were ground off. Placement and shape will define it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby BIG E » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:54 am

Later in the day, I was wondering if it was maybe a Revell or Monogram body.
I hadn't even thought of checking those out, probably due to early Saturday morning fogginess on my part!
So my friend, what scale is this thing, anyway? -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:02 am

dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dge467 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:35 pm

Just giving this thread a bump if that's ok. Anyone know? Looking to find the front and rear body parts.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:58 pm

Wondering if it's an old Varney or maybe Triang. Definitely not Marx and I don't think Eldon or Strom. Don't have anything to compare it to, just gut feeling and faulty memory.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I looked up Varney slot cars and it appears you are correct! The front and rear valences are part of the chassis. Thanks for the tip. Now to find a chassis.
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Audi1 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:25 am

HRS2..................?!!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Rleog » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:57 am

Changing Gearz adjustable?
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:18 am

Artin, with Ninco wire wheels.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby masmojo » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:17 am

Sorry for not seeing this earlier, but yes it's a Varney. I have some old Varney bits here and there, they made some sweet stuff and complete good condition cars go for a mint on epay. the Jag and the Corvette were the two I have seen, not sure if there were any others!?
masmojo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Vintage Slot Cars