[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What a few decals can do.

What a few decals can do.

For All You Old School Enthusiasts
Bring Back Some Memories!

What a few decals can do.

Postby CKR » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:50 am

I've had this Strombecker Ferrari for quite awhile. I got it running and put some tires on it and occasionally ran it just for fun. The other night I was looking at it and decided to give it a make over. The only thing painted on it was the drivers face and goggles. The first thing I did was sand down all the mold seams then the scratches. After a good polishing the body looked great. So then I painted the interior, detailed the driver's suit, and metalized the radiator outlet. Then I applied some decals and bam! It looks like a totally different car. That neat old Strombecker has been transformed into one of my favorite vintage cars.
CKR

Re: What a few decals can do.

Postby Racie35 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:05 am

Looks great!
Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RA race fan » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:02 am

Must be some powerful magnets to make it stick to the track upside down, hehe. Or are you in Australia
RA race fan

Postby chappy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:02 am

Nice Job on the resto, looks great.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chrisguyw » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:49 pm

Nice Job!!, although your Strombecker Ferrari is actually a Strombecker McKee.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:15 pm

That does look great! Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CKR » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:15 pm

Wow! You're correct Chris! It was labeled a Ferrari when I bought it and I never really thought much about it. That would explain the V8 motor too. I guess I'll need to strip those Scuderia Ferrari decals! I suppose Strombecker made more interesting cars than I thought.
CKR

Postby chrisguyw » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:31 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:34 am

Maybe it's just a Ferrari powered chassis with a McKee body, entered by a privateer of Italian heritage in some SoCal races. Those guys made lots of specials in those days. I think it looks fantastic as is.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CKR » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:32 pm

I always wondered what Ferrari it was supposed to be. I just assumed it was some short lived model between a 275P and the 612. I never really got around to researching it. The eight velocity stacks confused me but I knew a few Ferraris became Chevy powered when their V12s gave up the ghost and the team didn't want to spend or couldn't afford a new Ferrari block. So I thought maybe Strombecker modeled the car off one of those specials or just weren't that concerned about accuracy. Anyhow it has been stripped of its Ferrari credentials! I'll have to get out the sponsor decals and maybe put a Champion sticker in that spot. I took some pictures of a McKee at a vintage race a few years ago. Not sure which model it was but I think it was a smaller car with a four cylinder. Guess I'll have to dig them out and educate myself. Now I'm curious!
CKR

Postby CKR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:59 pm

Here is the corrected McKee. Now all is right with the world. Well not really, but yeah.
CKR

Postby goosenapper » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:44 pm

Ok, that looks even better. Great save there. :handgestures-thumbup: I would have been too discouraged to make the change.

By the way, your photos keep appearing upside-down on the site. Do you hang from gravity boots while surfing HRW?

The next question is does a D124 Breadvan chassis fit underneath those Shelby bodies in the background? But that's probably a topic for another thread. Nice foreshadowing. :D
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby CKR » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:34 pm

Thanks Jesse I think it looks better too. Are all my pics inverted!?! That's weird because they are right side up on my iphone browser. My computer is having major motherboard issues so I'm doing everything on the phone. The two Shelby coupes... The blue one is a K&B body that Ken picked up and gave to me to resurrect. It was a bit of a glue bomb. I cleaned it up and am reassembling what parts are there. The front valance is gone and there is no chassis. The other is a Gunze kit body. I've got big plans for that one. I'm going to make a mold from it so I'll have a body and be able to resell the kit. That is of course if I don't assemble it. The interesting thing about these two bodies is that I believe the K&B was modeled after the first coupe built by Shelby and the Gunze is based on the other five which had their bodies made by Carrozzeria Gransport in Italy. The first one has a different look to it because the body panels were beat out by a bunch of California hotrodders. The breadvan chassis is actually too big. There is not enough space up front for the guide. I think a cheetah might work but haven't tried.
CKR

Postby chappy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am

Yep , all upside down . But they look good when I turn my screen upside down lol.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby CKR » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:36 am

Stupid iphone :angry-tappingfoot:
CKR

Return to Vintage Slot Cars