[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/24 Carrera cars on 12v-14v motors

1/24 Carrera cars on 12v-14v motors

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

1/24 Carrera cars on 12v-14v motors

Postby Cincyslots » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:38 am

RMS Motor swap for Carrera 1/24 cars running at 14.8 volts.

When I was asked to review this product I was skeptical of the benefit. Why would I want to replace a perfectly good motor with another one? Well, here’s why. Have you ever wanted to buy a Carrera 1/24 race car and say, I would buy that if I could run it on my 1/32 power supply. Well now you can. RMS is offering a motor that is nearly a direct fit into the Carrera motor pod. I only say nearly because the Carrera motor screws don’t quite line up as seen in the photo below.

This is not a real problem. If you want it secured in the motor pod, a dab or two of hot glue would do the trick. Below are the stats for the motor. I know some will ask for it.

At Maximum Efficiency At Maximum Power Motor Characteristics

Speed 8863 RPM Torque 8.647 mNm No 10679 RPM Ec 1.195 V
Current 0.974 A Speed 5339 RPM Lo 0.195 A Alpha 32.21
Torque 2.729 W Current 2.485 A Ls 4.776 A V 4.5 V
Power 2.94 mNm Power 4.835 W Ts 17.29 mNm Kt 3.776 mNm/A
Efficiency 62.8 % Efficiency 43.23 % R 0.942 Ohms Km 3.89 mNm/Sqr(W)

{1[g-cm] = 0.098[mNï½¥m] 1[mNï½¥m] = 10.197[g-cm]}
Stall Torque of 17.29 mNm = 176.306 g/cm

MOTOR/VOLTS CARRERA
Standard
Motor CARRERA
TUNING
Motor RMS
1/24
Motor
3V 2380 3500 6900
6V 5550 7700 13600
9V 8800 11400 20400
12V 11800 15200 27900
15V 14900 18800 35000
18V 18042 24000 rated 38800

Depending on your taste the torque for this motor is either spot on or it could use a little more. I like it as it is since I typically get on the throttle a touch early coming out of the turns. I feel this can be remedied by using an 11T or 12T gear. The motors come without a pinion gear. The Slot.it 6.5 gear fit perfectly.

The car tested was a Carrera Corvette C6R. I did my testing at 14.8v volts using the MG Power supply. I know it’s not exactly apples to apples but your results should fall relatively in the same range. I ran 50 laps at 18v using the stock Carrera motor. My fastest time was an 8.374. I ran 100 with the RMS motor installed at 14.8v and the fastest time was 8.436. My feeling is this is about as close as you can get to an even match. Since I know some of you have variable power supplies, I ran it at 12v and it was very smooth an easy to drive. I actually preferred running at 12.5v.

In conclusion, if you have a track powered by 12v-15v and wide enough to handle the Carrera 1/24 cars; I would highly recommend giving this motor a try. It’s very smooth and quiet. I believe retail for this motor is $14.99. I’m sure Carlos will reply with his contact info for those of you wanting to buy his motors.

Thank you Carlos, for supplying the motor for this mini review.
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1/24 Carrera cars on 12v-14v motors

Postby carlosinseattle » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:27 pm

Thanks for the review Bruce. This motor is great for digital guys, especially if you want to use a D132 power supply for D124 cars. This is not anything new, but the motor is really nice and allows for guys to race 5 or 6 guys with the smaller power supply. If anyone has any questions PM me or shoot me an email at carlosinseattle@hotmail.com
carlosinseattle

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:04 am

Great option. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby carlosinseattle » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:58 pm

Just wanted to bump this review up in case Carrera 1/24 guys are thinking about ways to make their cars faster and more fun to drive.
carlosinseattle

Postby WB2 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:07 pm

I'd like to see a comparison of this motor, the Auto Art motor, and an orange SlotIt in a Devis Designs motor adapter.
How about it, Bruce?
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:12 pm

I've done this to all my 6 of my Carreras (thanks Carlos!) and it's a great solution to having to run one voltage for Carreras and another for the rest. Some guys in the club did the Devis designs swap but their motors ran quite hot in anything over a 5 minute heat. This was using the Shark 20 and the Slot it 21/5K Orange end bell (brakes were quite weak also).
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby burad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Ditto on what dogsbody said. When our guys tried running with FC-130s, the motors did get pretty hot. The 1/24 Carreras are significantly heavier than the cars those FC-130s were designed for. The RMS motors worked well.

Meanwhile, i did run my 1/24 AutoArt Ford GT vs. my Carrera Ferrari 512S with RMS motor. The Ford could not keep up with the Ferrari. Now what i did not do was compare gear ratios, which is a critical point, so my comparison is probably moot. Once the local track is back in operation I'll do some more 'research'.
burad

Postby WB2 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:06 pm

WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Product Reviews!