[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric Legends by "Doc"

Scalextric Legends by "Doc"

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Scalextric Legends by "Doc"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:53 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Scalextric Legends by "Doc"

Postby chappy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:21 am

Good review David, nice to see that they are good representations, and run decently out of the box.
My thoughts on this series , were ,, " If Scalextric get this right, they will sell out the series".
From your review it sounds like they are well on their way.
Thanks for taking time to do, the report.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Fast Co. » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:40 pm

Great review David. Thanks for taking the time to test the cars and write the review.

I got a set and they are some beautiful cars. They'll go well with my other classic Scaley F1 cars. At Woodland Trace Raceway we're perpetually running historic races so cars that didn't actually compete look right at home running side-by-side.
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks guys, sorry it was so short, I had a business trip thrown in this week for good measure. I will revisit them when I do the remotor job.

In the meantime, these are a BLAST!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Waited to chime in until these arrived. FWIW my number is 0359.

They are nicely done and it is a good thing they run ok out of the box. Taking them apart is NOT worth it. Especially the Lotus. Unsnapping the suspension in the rear is simply not a task you will want to do. Ever.

Of course these are for the collector, so I cannot be too critical. But anyone thinking of tuning/racing them might not like them. They were not made to me taken apart and messed around with.

Still a neat set.

And it will find a new owner...this is a special surprise gift, more to come on that later :) :banana-dance:

Thanks Chicagoland Hobbies for fast shipping!!! I just called and they have ONE left.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:00 pm

Harry, I wouldn't have purchased them if I'd have known you were sending them as a gift ;)

Like I said, not the easiest things to pull apart, but once you figure it out - they aren't the worst either.

I've spent a bit of time with mine tonight and am thrilled with them.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Fast Co. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

I was thrilled and amazed when the Sharknose Ferrari and Cooper Climax came out years ago. And then the Lotus 49 and Gurney Eagle. And the Hunt / Lauda set. And now this! I mean, these are slot cars? I find it amazing that this level of detail can be crammed into such a tiny, working slot car. Little jewels. I bought one Stewart / Fittipaldi set for the shelf. And I'm tempted to buy another to race - if I can find one. Problem is the guys I race with aren't much into racing these. Too fragile. And they do kind of get lost at the far end of my circuit. When we race classic F1 we usually race vintage 1/24 stuff from the '60s. Those are a blast racing wheel to wheel in the squeeze on my corkscrew. So maybe I don't need a second set. Besides, there will be future liveries...
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:48 pm

I'm beginning to think I really do need therapy - but then, isn't that exactly what racing slot cars is?
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 007jag » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Hello
I wanted to thank the Bibbster for the tip about Chicagoland - I just ordered my pair :text-thankyouyellow:

So am I the "Next Guy"?? :music-rockout:

Best Regards,
Jack

P.S. I could have sworn I'd checked there before - but did not see it??
Actually their website leaves much to be desired - it's clumsy and not "user friendly" IMHO.

PP.SS. Now who can help me with the correct decals -or?? I'm going to need for the drivers helmet's Etc??????

And thanks in advance!!
007jag

Postby 007jag » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:21 pm

Hello,
Well the folks at Chicagoland are fairly fast - my lil friend has arrived at they sure look nice.
Once again thanks for the heads up.
Regards,
Jack
007jag

Postby chappy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:41 pm

Its interesting that these sets hit North American shores before the UK.(still waiting)
I think its good, but unusual.
Perhaps Scalextric is rewarding us for buying so much of their product over here,,,, nah
But it is great we get them first for a change. We Win.
Lets hope this trend on the rest of the legends series continues.
Why,,, because if your 2nd , you are just the first of the losers.
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby dreinecke » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:00 am

Of interest...there is a gent that I've followed his track building for years named UKSqueeze. His Tyrrell 003 from the 1971 season that is the other Limited Edition single car, has both the blue stripe and Goodyear labeling on the tires. The Scalextric stock photos also show it this way.

Not sure why they did this, but it is interesting to see differences in releases.

Either way, I spent about a half hour with mine late last night and still LOVE these things.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby VTECFOUR » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Just got my set. Wow, great modeling!

Ran the Tyrell a few laps and then it died. Opened it up at the front and discovered a broken pick up lead. Yikes!, I've got to really take it apart to get a soldering tip in there. I managed to do so, but had to break off the boxy component behind the rear diff and remove the anti roll bar linkages to lever the front of the body high enough to clear the hot tip.

While taking it apart I noticed one of the rear bushings was loose in its carrier and the axle was sloppy so I CA glued both. Runs smoother now and helped by slight sanding of the stock rubber tires. The wheels are the same diameter and rib width as Scalextric's McLaren M23 so the tires will fit but are smaller in diameter. I'll try some re-pop urethanes in the future.

Just did a few laps with the Lotus and it runs equally well, maybe even faster on my twisty wood track, but timed laps will tell.

Well done, Scalextric!

Dan
VTECFOUR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby balsaworks » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:18 am

balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby noddaz » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:11 am

noddaz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!