[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - LMM Dauer Porsche 962 by Kurt Moser

LMM Dauer Porsche 962 by Kurt Moser

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

LMM Dauer Porsche 962 by Kurt Moser

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:50 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: LMM Dauer Porsche 962 by Kurt Moser

Postby goosenapper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:41 pm

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:00 pm

Thanks, Jesse. :) You're right, it's entertaining to see how LMM does things, and I spend a lot of time in slack-jawed amazement. 'Hilariously annoyed' might describe my mental state during tuning. :banana-dance:

Actually, what you're seeing on the bottom of the chassis (and good question, btw), comes from my guide solution. It runs a tiny bit too deep, and it stirs up all the crap at the bottom of the slot, which ends up trailing out behind the guide onto the chassis.

I've started using this guide solution because LMM always uses this guide (shallow) with stiff braids, and frequently solders the lead wires. Rather than desolder and fit a new guide, I just modify the guide. I'm a firm believer that you can make a runner out of just about any car without buying replacement parts.

I think anybody could prep this car in two hours. It took me a full racing night, lots of experimentation, etc, but the actual work is probably a 2-hour job. A fast tuner could probably do it in one hour, knowing what needs to be done ahead of time.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:45 pm

I posted this a while ago, and it has vanished off this topic. I wonder if it went to some other topic?

Anyway, Kurt, you are hilarious. I called Barbara in to read the first two paragraphs. You know I like her giggle. When I wrote the post the first time, we were both still giggling about it. Great review on a difficult subject. Great stuff.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby mfogg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Last edited by mfogg on Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mfogg

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey Michael, forget the truffle -- after tuning their cars, I need some therapy sessions. :lol:

Glad you guys enjoyed it. Can't believe you made Barbara read it, Rob. Are you guys bored over there? :) Anyway, it's fun to write for you guys, even if there's just a handful who might be interested in these cars.

Odd side-note: LMM is actually the easiest to write about, and Slot.It is the hardest. There are only so many ways you can say "smooth as glass", but there are a million ways to say "holy s***, that's f***ed up!" :lol:

LMM actually put one of my LMM reviews on their website. It had been translated into Spanish. It's doubtful that they actually read it, because there was one section where I listed eleven major problems with their car out of the box. They were probably just stunned that somebody wrote about their stuff. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Again, hilarious.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Great review Kurt!

They are a beautiful thing, I love the body shape, wanted to know what this offering from LMM would be like, nice and thank you.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:16 am

Great review about a finicky car. LMM for most part out of the box are turds. I bought their 787 Mazda Renown, just horrible out of the box, but it looked great! It still sits on the work bench. The resin Racers are somewhat untuned but not to the extent of the LMM's, the Racers at least have aluminum wheels. I bought one LMM and it will probably be the last. For the money they cost they should be a much better car. :(
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:32 am

Yeah Ken, they aren't for everybody, that's for sure. I try not to make that judgment call in my reviews, just present the facts as I see them, and let the reader decide how to spend his/her money and time. You can tune any car put in front of you, but you might not have any interest in wrestling with a hundred+ dollar car for a few hours just so it can turn a lap.

Another perspective on LMM, I've spent about 7 or 8 quality hours getting to know this car, tuning and driving, plus many more hours photographing and writing the review. Most of my Slot.Its have less than one hour, if that. So for me, even at twice the price, a LMM car is still twice the value compared to a Slot.It. If I valued speed or racing more, it would be different. Uniqueness is way up on my priority list, and I can get a whole lot of unique from LMM for a hundred bucks and a few hours of tinkering. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:21 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Jesla » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:18 am

I love all my LMM's and with the switch to all Slot-it running gear earlier this year,
LMM could and I think will give Racer a run for your slot dollars. The drivers are
far superior to Racer and I think that overall detail is at least on a par as well.
Nice write-up Kurt!
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:35 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Return to Product Reviews!