Slot Case 4 in 1 rolling trolley

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Slot Case 4 in 1 rolling trolley

Postby Giddyup » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:59 pm

Hi Folks,

I thought I’d post a little review of something different. Our club is involved in a big race next summer with other clubs from across Western Canada which means we will be traveling and lugging cars and tools for the race.

Last year, I took my small race case and we threw the rest of our supplies in a big Rubbermaid bin. A few things ended up getting banged up and some fluids leaked. :oops:

This year I started researching slot cases. Well, 98% of what I kept coming back to was the old school wooden case. So I started thinking about making my own, but honestly with my skills, lack of proper tools, 3 busy kids and a demanding job, I quickly came to the realization that was a pipe dream!

So back to researching and I found the Scaleauto SC-5150 which caught my eye. Being purpose made for slot cars I started looking for vendors. And guess what I found? Nearly everyone is sold out and even when I could one in stock, the cost of shipping was extremely prohibitive ... nearly doubling the case’s cost!

After taking note of the Scaleauto case design, I started Googling rolling cases and came up with some hits. After looking into what was on Amazon I came across some cases which looked nearly identical to the Scaleauto case. And when I looked a little deeper, the same cases were being listed with different makers. I narrowed my searcand choices on designs and most of what I could find fell into two manufacturers, both looked like Chinese white label makers.

The strange thing is all these were being marketed as rolling makeup trolley cases. Yep, you read that right...makeup! :lol: There was a variety of colors and exterior designs to choose from. One model in particular, from Sunrise (#3366) got my attention as it had many of features I was looking for. Some of those key features were:

Bottom Case
1. Wheels for rolling case with telescopic handle for easy transportation
2. Dimensions aligned with carry on baggage.
3. French doors for quick access without taking up much space
4. French door interior with bands to hold tools, and little pockets for storing miscellaneous items
5. Open compartment (for storing a portable power supply)
6. Sliding drawers for storage
7. Rubber stoppers on the case bottom to prevent the case from tilting /falling over when stationary

Top Case
1. Lid had elastic bands underneath where I could secure a controller
2. Multiple modular pieces, like shelves
3. Modular storage pieces which could be set up to be flexible with dividers
4. Modular pieces which could be secured to each other

So let’s get to the pictures....

First let’s take a look at the case all buttoned down.

One thing I noticed right away, there was no badging of any sort on the case. Which to me, confirms this is white label model. Makes me wonder if Scaleauto badged a similar model case?

As an aside, one of local club members got a decal made from our club logo a few years back. Finally I could put it to good use.

From behind...

Here’s an interesting picture, the top and bottom cases separate. One thing I wasn’t expecting was to receive two lids.

Glad I did, really gives you some flexibility.

Next is with the bottom case lid and/or top modular pieces off. Notice the aluminum stopper in the middle which gives the top of the French doors a stopper.

During shipping, there was a foam piece behind the doors to provide some support. I believe I’ll keep that to provide some support for the doors.

French doors open to the right...

To the left side...

Note the sliding drawers...

The drawers are not super tall, but tall enough to store a compressed air container.

Now there is a bottom, open compartment. After fitting my portable power supply, I had some pick’n’pull foam and after some measurements I was able to make up a few pieces to secure the power supply from moving around in the case.

Now without the foam barriers...

And with the power supply removed...

Definitely a decent sized area.

Now without the lid on the bottom case, there is another storage area :-)

And if you flip over the lid, we see the rubber bands which can hold your controller...

So now let’s turn the attention to the top case. Aside from a duplicate lid, each level is like modular drawer. With each, you will get one wide divider plus two smaller ones to make up compartments.

For one of these I took all of the dividers out and used pick and pull foam as a storage for cars.

I’ve done this with my smaller race case, and it keeps the cars very secure from moving and safe from breaking off any bits.

Then I used some of the extra dividers saved from the level above for a second level which has most of glues, tape, my little hands helper, plus a few other goodies

Just as an aside, I recently bought a couple of NSR EVO chassis (that have the front axle ride height adjustment) that come in these clamshell cases which I like. While the cases themselves are not what I’d call high quality, they could be useful for transporting cars. Probably very similar to Slot.it clamshell cases.

Here’s a picture of the third and last upper case compartment. I’ve got my Hudy tire truer here, and nothing else. I actually ran out of things to put in the case. But nice to know I have lots of extra space is required. I may end up doing up some pick’n’pull foam and make up an area for an extra controller here.

Another thing to bring to your attention, all of these top 3 modular compartments have a solid bottom with feet . So you can put the lid on one, two or all of them and they will stand on their own.

Also, I’ll point out that aside from the latches that hold these compartments together, there are keys that can be used to secure them.

Actually two sets of keys, one pair came each for the bottom and top cases.

Before I wrap up, im sure you are wondering about the case specs. Information direct from the seller I bought my case from.

Details
4-in-1 professional trolley makeup case
High quality aluminum finish and construction with reinforced steel corners for extra durability
Beautiful new black smooth pattern with black aluminum trimming
Heat resistant exterior material keeps the case cool and protects your cosmetics
Heavy duty handle for added comfort and grip
Easy to clean interior
Overall case dimension (LxWxH): 14.5" x 9.5" x 35"

Top Case Specification:
Three removable trays w/adjustable dividers
Top lid with removable mirror
Secure easy close latches with key locks

Top Case Dimensions
Removable trays dimension (LxWxH): 13.75" x 8.75" x 3.25" each
Overall case dimensions (LxWxH): 14.5" x 9.5" x 13.25"

Bottom Case Specification:
French door style opening
Wider opening top compartment for easy access and adjustable dividers
Removable mirror under the case lid
Retractable/telescoping handle for extra durability with inline skate wheels for easy rolling
Two aluminum finished drawers
Rubber-band attachment on front lid for brushes and other beauty accessories

Bottom Case Dimensions
Telescoping handle fully extended height: 40"
Top storage dimension (LxWxH): 14" x 7" x 2.25"
Drawers dimension (LxWxH): 12.75" x 6.5" x 3.25" each
Hollow space below drawers dimension (LxWxH): 14" x 8.75" x 6.75"
Overall bottom case dimension (LxWxH): 14.5" x 9.5" x 21.75"

I did weigh my case, 31.4 pounds while loaded with all my gear but without the power supply (which weighs 4.6 pounds on its own).

The case itself while not “Samsonite” gorilla quality, is still light and robust enough for my needs. Overall, this model isn’t what I would term a cheap alternative. But there are other models for under $100USD. And, if you live in the US, it’s as affordable as the Scaleauto box, and my seller had a 2 day shipping that was less than $30 CAD.

Hope this provides some insight into other options for slot boxes. I do have to say that I’m impressed and still surprised and how well everything is now organized and I still have room to spare! That and the other option to break it down into two smaller cases is a real bonus.

Cheers, eh!
Last edited by Giddyup on Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Slot Case 4 in 1 rolling trolley

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:52 pm

Remarkable info, and I hope it gets more reasonable someday. As it is, my slot box cost me nothing but scraps from my shop, and a few hours fooling around with it for assembly. As it is, I only take a few (half dozen+), cars in a small box almost all the time when I go to other tracks. Most of the folks I know spent $40 or less for their slot boxes, and I built several of them for folks for free.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Giddyup » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:39 pm

Nice of you to build boxes for free. Care to ship to Canada? :lol:

The case I reviewed was purchased to be able to lug not only multiple cars, but all your supplies, spare parts, tools, tire truer, portable power supply, controllers etc needed for long distance events and most importantly to keep things air tight from breakage or spillage...and be lightweight.

My regular slot box is pictured below, a cheap aluminum camera case. It cost me around $30 from Canadian Tire over ten years ago...still going strong. Holds my basic tools & supplies as well 10 cars for each club race.

Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:59 pm

For a while there I had huge piles of off cuts of oak, cherry, and maple, and some guys came over to help, so we built them slot boxes together. Next thing you know, there was a line of folks who wanted them. They spent a day in my shop learning to build, and overnight I lacquered the boxes to be ready for them when they came back. Not a lot of offcuts left after all that (no waste!). Unfortunately, our little slot car group had broken up by then, so everybody was a stranger and I never saw the boxes again!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby nhdungeonracer » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:47 pm

Giddy Up...

Thanks for sharing this.
With my ever expanding growth of drag race cars, I've been wondering how to transport said cars to the track. The boxes made for my 1/32 cars isn't cutting it, and I'm thinking this box might be a good investment. Plus I won't have to keep changing cars out each time I got club racing then drag racing...

:music-rockout:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:27 am

Excellent review sir. I will feature and save this for the archives. Thanks for the effort on this!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:50 am

That's a great review! Thanks for sharing all the details. Definitely something for me to look into.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:44 am

Great review...that’s the cats A$$ for traveling slotters!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RV Racing » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:54 pm

Excellent information! I just returned from a week-long slot car adventure, and faced all of the usual frustrations with storing and transporting cars, tools, controllers, and half the contents of my workshop between home, hotel, and track. This looks like a wonderful solution, and I have dispatched another chunk of my retirement fund to Amazon. At least with Prime membership, the shipping is free, so I keep telling myself it's a bargain.

Thanks again for sharing this with the slot car brotherhood!
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Glad this may be of some use for folks.

Tell me Rick, did you go with the pink tiger print color scheme? :lol:
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:50 am

Thanks Tom, appreciate the time you took and the detail provided, great review!

Only problem I see is that there is no room left for that beautiful Tourist Trophy, I assume you will let someone else take that home!

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:44 pm

I finally had time to really dig into this thing. For hauling slot car stuff to other tracks, it wouldn't help me much at all, but the cheaper version ($62US) also on Amazon looks like it would be ideal for a problem I have had in my shop for years. My slot car tools are in 7 varying size boxes, protected from the wood dust I generate in the shop. I spend too much time getting up from what I'm working on to go dig in a box for what I need. The space I might save from doing away with all the boxes would easily accommodate two of these cases, and as a bonus, I could roll the new cases over to my worktable in easy reach. That would be great, and when not in use, they could park out of the way of the woodworking I do all the time.

I mention all this in case anyone else is cramped for slot car space or like me, make multiple use of the space. Being able to compactly stash slot car tools and materials would be a huge advantage. Thanks, Giddyup Tom!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to Product Reviews!