[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - DMX Slot car racing

DMX Slot car racing

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

DMX Slot car racing

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:28 pm

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: DMX Slot car racing

Postby BRS Hobbies » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Dan,

I have been looking at DMX for awhile now. They have a 4 car set on Amazon that has been getting some decent ratings. I am pretty sure that it is still being produced but just hasn't really taken off. I think the concept is sound but would have been even better if it used a magnetic guide with hidden magnet wires in the track. This way the track surface would be smooth without the slots like Magracing.

Do you have to drive the cars at all in the corners or is it pretty much wide open around the track?

Thank you so much for posting your thoughts on DMX. I am always searching the web for all the various race set options.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:56 pm

You have to drive into the corners. If you don't the car will do a 360 and start heading back at you. IMO this is better then Magracing. When the car is in a slot it behaves like a slot car, which when you are talking about a tight a closed road course is mandatory. I have tried small scale RC, and it just doesn't work on anything that has a narrow defined road surface.

What I did not know before I bought this was that the cars can be made to work on a regular slot car track. On a four lane track these cars would have 4 different racing lines available to the driver to chose as he is heading into a corner. Most people would probably choose the 2nd lane, and these cars allow you to do that. You don't need to run them on the plastic track with its 11 slots. The 11 slots just make the lane changing less pronounced. However as there is no braid the track actually looks OK even with all the slots.

I really do hope the ship hasn't sank with this technology. I can see a hybrid where you have a slot car with regular braids supplying power to the motor, with an add on IR device for sending signals to work this patented guide system. Unlike magracing, the technology used here could easily be used on existing tracks.

Edit

The issue I see right now is timing. Right now, as far as I know there is no transponder type system for these cars. We all know that if you can't time a lap that is a big drawback, really big.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:05 pm

I really like your idea of routing a track with racing lines. The only concern would be that it seems like you could go off the track easily if you happen to lane change the wrong way. Perhaps a run off area with a guardrail would work. Would you be able to drive back onto the track with the DMX cars the way they are now?

DMX did offer a lap counter but I don't see it anymore on website anymore.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:06 pm

Ideally you should have your track with inside and outside fence for those times you go left when you should have gone right. However when I went off the track, I was able to drive the car back on.

I am going to repower one and add some aluminum rims with some PGTires just to see what could be done to enhance these.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby vonsirius » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:42 am

But, it seems that If you keep your car in the middle of the track no one can overtake you.
vonsirius
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:58 am

I guess that is where the term "rubbing is racing" comes from.

You are right though . However if these cars are used on a regular slot car track then there are defined lanes. You could do away with the middle slots using drywall compound on this track. That would prevent the road hog driving down the middle.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:27 am

Dan,

Is some skill involved to turn fast laps? Meaning is the inside curve lane faster than the outside or can you run the outside curve lane full speed using the lip?

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 32lbking » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks for posting Dan. I had seen this before but I really didn't give it much of a look. I thought the cars were smaller than they are. They look to be close to 1/32nd. Is that accurate ?
This looks pretty cool :banana-dance:
Randy
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:36 pm

The cars are 1/32 scale. Maybe slightly wider

The cars are kind of lame, but even as they are they will come off the track if you don't try and control them

I would like to hop one up with some good tires and see what happens

If I was Dmx I would build a better car and controller and try and market this concept to real slot heads. A car controller combo for $100 that could be used on regular slot car track. It wouldn't be ideal but at the same time if people with wooden tracks routed a couple more slots they could really optimize the concept on their track.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:44 am

Dan thanks for posting this..I've been interested in this deal for some time.Just needed more info on it.
Any Idea on how long the batteries last and how many each car and controller take?
I see the Penny's has the four car set for about $120 plus tax.That gets the cars down to about $30 apiece and the track for free..hard to pass that up.https://www.jcpenney.com/p/dmxslots-dmx ... pe=regular
Thanks again Dan for posting..
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 am

This is a very interesting technology. If I win Powerball, I think a guy could have a heyday investing in this system. This system feels like you are actually driving the car independent of the track. It just needs more development. I guess we can hope that the DMX has enough sales to give them the capital required to make the most out of this.

Better quality controllers and cars that go little bit faster combined with a transponder timing system and the system would rock

The one big drawback is it is a real step away from track delivering power to the cars, and as such does not play well with the existing concepts. Having said that though, the cars can be run on existing tracks so it would be a case of adding DMX cars to your paddock, so maybe Ok to the large mass of tradional slot racers. You could run both at the same time.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 pm

Well I've got the Penny's set coming..
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:04 am

Let us know what you think. Like I said if you keep in mind the price and the target market they are pretty cool. Just wishing someone would take this technology to the next level for us slotheads
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am

Rusty,

I can't wait to hear your thoughts on the DMX race set.

I think the bottom line for me - is it a lot of fun or not? Does everyone pretty much run around the track without much in the way of passing other cars or is some skill involved in that if you drive good lines, you can pass other cars? If it is fun and good driving is rewarded, then I would consider getting a set that I could set up on the floor from time to time.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Product Reviews!