[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - DiFalco DD 302

DiFalco DD 302

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

DiFalco DD 302

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: DiFalco DD 302

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:52 am

We have a guy amongst our little group who more or less collects controllers, and he has tried to educate me about these things. I barely understand what he has taught me, and now there's a controller that has even more things to adjust while trying to keep the car on the track. What kills me is that after a week or so on his home track, he will have mastered this thing, too. I think (but what do I know?), that the exchangable "networks" look like a brilliant idea. I don't think of myself as a Luddite, but I guess I am just limited enough to stand back and watch while someone operates these things with their hydraulic ramjet prophylactic revitalizers sticking out the top. It is fascinating to see someone really get into it. One thing is for sure, if someone pays the price for these things, they will be dedicated to mastering it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:04 am

You are right. Like I hinted at in the review, if you have the passion for a controller...this one would be a great choice.

It's like anything else in our hobby. Ask what the best (track, car, brand, controller, etc) is and look out!
I see some people always thinking there should be a "one size fits all answer" in our hobby. Well, there just isn't for a majority of the choices we have.
Where do you race? What type of track? What motors? What voltage?...etc and so forth.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Pappy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:56 am

For years I thought if you could drive a slot car the controller didn't matter much. It wasn't until I raced on an oval track about 15 years ago that I found out that wasn't true. On the outer lanes I couldn't get off the controller and back on again going into a turn quick enough to keep from losing my momentum. The controller makes a huge difference on how well you run the car.

I have a 30 band DiFalco Genesis controller but I'm thinking seriously about one of these controllers.

Thanks Harry for your review.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:54 pm

You are welcome, but thank you for the experience shared.

As you know I mostly run solo. So the fine tuning of the models doesn't stop at the car itself. Once I tried more advanced controllers I discovered what you have. They do make a difference.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:12 pm

Ok. I just read this over the course of today - pausing to think between almost every third word. That was an incredibly well-detailed, well-explained review.

Do I get a degree or anything now? I feel ejumacated.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby SlotCarCorner » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 pm

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 pm

Seems like the right thing to do. Ask the "fetching Mrs. Reinecke" if he needs sweetening, so you are covered one way or another.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks, but we need to thank Steve at SCC for his help in describing Traction Control. I was simply struggling to find the words...he had them.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Pappy » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

If I know Sawtelle he just made em up. :lol: :banana-dance:
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:43 am

I still use 35 yr old Parma resistor controllers....... :oops:
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:58 am

The description of the traction control sounds very similar to a choke except for the last part where you get the full power blast which I am not sure is a good idea.

Lots of guys in our group use Difalco's. I am still stuck with a Carsteen which has yet to become obsolete after about five years of use.
I keep looking at other controllers though.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Junior » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:41 pm

I have a couple of the DD300's, they are great controllers, the trigger is so smooth. The traction control on this controller may be a little too much for my little brain but a interesting upgrade for someone with bigger track.
Tom
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby SlotCarCorner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 am

SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Postby SlotCarCorner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:25 am

We've had quite a few discussions with customers over the years looking to upgrade their controller. Buying a controller, regardless of brand, with adjustments for brakes, sensitivity, traction control, etc. represents a significant investment; however, it will not necessarily make you a better racer. The key is to have realistic expectations when considering an upgrade to a controller like the DD302. Just because it offers lots of features and adjustment, it's NOT an automatic controller that will make the adjustments for you. Contrary to what some might believe, the controllers don't include elves who magically turn the knobs to the ideal settings for a given track, lane, car/motor, track voltage, driving style, etc.. While there are a range of adjustment settings that might improve your performance for a given track, lane, car/motor, etc. there are also many, many more combinations of settings that won't yield any improvements (or might actually make things worse). The key is learning how to quickly "dial in" the controller. Once you purchase one of these controllers, you will need to spend time becoming familiar with each adjustment and practice making adjustments if you want to see any improvement. We see more than a few racers who never use any of the adjustment features - they simply take comfort knowing their controller has knobs (adjustments) like everyone else's they race with and so therefore they're not at a disadvantage (or so they think...). Or some racers might turn the adjustments once or twice when they first get the controller and leave them at the same setting for the next 5 years. The Difalco DD302 in this review is an amazing controller; however, you will need to make a commitment to practice, practice, practice until each adjustment becomes second nature if you want to realize its full potential. Second nature means you can also make these adjustments without looking at the controller while you are actually racing. These controllers are not for everyone; however, if you want to take your racing to the next level and are willing to make the commitment to learn how to use the various features, controllers like this can help you achieve your goals.

Feel free to contact us if you have questions about (any) controller purchase - we're here to help. We have a LOT of firsthand (bad pun) experience actually using a wide range of controllers from PM, Difalco, 3rd Eye, etc.. And yes, we know what each knob does (unlike Butch...) and how to adjust them (unlike Butch...).

:text-thankyouyellow:
SlotCarCorner
SCC Mechanic

Next

Return to Product Reviews!