Molotow "Chrome"...and..CG 3 ear knock offs

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Molotow "Chrome"...and..CG 3 ear knock offs

Postby chrisguyw » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi Folks, This thread could slot into a couple of categories here, but, reviews, is where it seems most appropriate.......mods, feel free to reposition.

Anyway, I am building a Lotus 33 (modifying a Monogram Lotus 25) for an upcoming proxy, and I was really struggling with getting the proper inserts....the lotus 33 has a 6 spoke center section with 3 prong knockoffs, and while I did manage to find some accurate center sections in my BWA/DART insert stash, they do not have any knockoffs........I could use some Fly/Ninco/PP etc. knockoffs, but all were either too large/too small/not accurate.......so......I started to look, and discovered the CGKOO2 3 ear knockoffs at SCC Canada.
These are about as close as I will come, and very nicely made...recommended :clap: ...thanks CG!!.....they also do a 2 ear version.

A while ago I bought a few of the Molotow "Liquid Chrome" marker pens, and was keen to try them out......I used them on the knockoffs, and they were great!!!.....waayyy better than any silver/chrome paint...another recommendation here!! :clap:

A couple of shots of the CG knockoffs, done with the Molotow "chrome"pen.........(the rest of the car is in its very early stages, so no harsh comments, it will look better soon, promise!

Cheers
Chris Walker

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Molotow "Chrome"...and..CG 3 ear knock offs

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:42 pm

I've been experimenting with that chrome pen, too. I've tried it on plastic, wood, rubber, and glass. Its flawless. I don't know what that stuff is, and I can't identify the smell, but everybody- don't ask questions, go buy it. There are at least 30 cars I am going to touch up with this thing.
"Never trust a quote from the internet."
--Abraham Lincoln
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby BARC 1 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:04 pm

Nice car. I carved out a BRM as I was wanting to build one of these older GP cars. Does this have "Bear" chassis under it. I have been doing some reading on these 132 cars and it appears as if that is a chassis that is used a lot. So far I have not seen much about this type of car on HRW.

Thanks for sharing
Cheers
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:16 pm

Very good report as usual sir. I have the pen as well and it's very nice. Really worth the investment if you want that right look.
-Harry

"They didn't say you couldn't" - Smokey

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chrisguyw » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 am

BARC 1 wrote: Does this have "Bear" chassis under it. I have been doing some reading on these 132 cars and it appears as if that is a chassis that is used a lot. So far I have not seen much about this type of car on HRW.

Thanks for sharing

Hi Dan, I guess that since I started this thread, I am allowed to Hijack it!! ;) .............This particular car does have a Beardog 3 chassis under it, one that has been extensively modified. While the stock kit is very nice (I certainly recommended it) there are a few things that I believe can be done to improve its performance, particularly as this proxy allows "open" choice of FF050 motors, resulting in the need for a slightly stiffer chassis.

My main reason for using these chassis' is that this proxy , and the VRAA F1 proxies in general, require some form of suspension detail to be incorporated into the build, and the Beardog range, has been designed to make suspension detail fairly easy.

They are well thought out, perform well, and make the addition of suspension detail easy..........having said that, most entries in these F1 proxies (and most of mine) utilize a completely scratchbuilt chassis.....however, If you are attempting your first 1/32 F1 chassis build, you can do far worse than starting with a Beardog 3. :D

If you are interested, there are a few pics., of my Beardog 3 chassis build (for this car) in the 1/32 scratchbuilders section......."Beardog 3 Chassis build"

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 am

Those knock-offs look sharp with the chrome pen touch!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:19 pm

I'm really liking these pens too. They allow even a poor modeler like me to do a decent looking job.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:48 pm

Wow Chris those wheels look great with the Moltow silver pens on them.
I must hit up Amazon and see what i can get.
What tip size or sizes do you recommend.
Cheers
Bob
The future is in our hands, choose wisely
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:21 am

chappy wrote:What tip size or sizes do you recommend.
Cheers
Bob

Hi Bob, The pens come in 1mm, 2mm. and 4mm sizes, and I did get all three. That said, the 1 and 2 mm sizes are the ones I will use most often as I will be using them for detail work like mirrors, gas caps, lens surrounds etc. etc. The 4mm size is likely best for larger areas like bumpers/grills etc., but, even then the 2mm size should be able to handle the larger stuff.
For my intended use, if I could only have 1 it would be the 1mm.

Cheers
Chris Walker
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Cheers Chris , thanks for the insight on them.
All the best
Bob
The future is in our hands, choose wisely
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Return to Product Reviews!