[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Scalextric HOLDEN L34 TORANA

Scalextric HOLDEN L34 TORANA

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Scalextric HOLDEN L34 TORANA

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:43 pm

SCALEXTRIC #C3214 HOLDEN TORANA SLR/5000 L34

By Rob Wessling

Photos Christine Wessling

G'day Guys :)

This week I'd like to share a few thoughts on the Scalextric GMH L34 Torana. The subject of this Reader review is probably not familiar beyond the shores of Australia, but here in Oz Holden Torana's were one of the leading cars in our local touring car series. I for one was quite happy to see Scalextric add this iconic Aussie car to its comprehensive 1/32 scale line-up.

This model has been around for awhile now in various liveries, in fact three to be exact, #C3030 1976 Bathurst Winner (Morris/Firzpatrick), #C3101 1975 Bathurst Winner (Brock/Sampson) and the primary subject of this review, #C3214 (Team Brock)

To be honest, I haven't seen or heard a lot mentioned about this model since its initial release, hence the review I'm writing here at HRW. I feel getting a little bit down in print on this model before the release of its class running mate (the Scaley FORD XB GT), may be a bit of a good thing!

Ok, before I get to the car itself I want to give a very brief thumbnail on the background to this Aussie Muscle car.

The LH model Torana was released in Australia in 1974. The Torana range was considered a mid-sized sedan (later a two door body was released in the LX series) over here in Australia. Initially offered with a wide range of specifications (from four cylinder through to two V8 options), the top of the line performance Torana was the SLR 5000 model. With 5044cc (308 cube) Aussie designed and manufactured V8 and M21 four speed or optional 3 speed "Trimatic" gearbox, the SLR 5000 soon had a huge following on Aussie streets.

The "General" knew that the new V8 Torana would also make a good race car for our local touring car series, something desperately needed to stem the flow of victories to Fords XA/XB series Falcon GT's.

Initial races with the new SLR 5000 showed promise but also highlighted some serious shortcomings with the new Torana, namely motor output, longevity, also such things as up spec wheels (the standard SLR only had small 13" rims). Holdens had a list for its Engineers to fill, hence the "L34" option package for the SLR 5000 model Torana.....

.....New 14X6" Rallye wheels (Pontiac I believe), large bolt on fender flares to cover the race rubber these cars would run in competition with, modified crossmember (for larger sump), the L34 spec Toranas also scored round headlights (as opposed to square). I do believe a re-worked clutch was part of the L34 specification but I may be wrong....

The Aussie 308 motor came in for a major re-work due to the emphasis in minimal overall weight during its design, Holdens wanted a winner not a hand grenade! Big valve heads, new valve gear to cope with higher RPM, port matched stock alloy intake manifold that had ample re-working to ensure superior gas flow, upgraded Rochester Quadrajet carb (there was also a higher spec option of a 750 vac secondary Holley carb). Specially made tube headers, upgraded high volume oil pump, double row timing chain (I think?) were also thrown in the mix, it was quite a good performance package for the mid-70's over here.

Not sure about the camshaft spec but race-prepped motors were reportedly putting out around the 440HP (net) mark with a 750 Holley or twin two barrel Webers. Holdens were pretty much ready to go racing!!!

Now to the beautiful 1/32 scale replica that Scalextric has provided for us :)

Looking at this model I must say there is quite a lot I like about it. I think Scalextric have captured the essence of the prototype well, all in all a good effort considering the parameters of our scale. I'm not overly hung up on "scale issues", all I want is a model that looks the part and I honestly believe Scalextric have delivered this in spades.

Finish on the various sample cars I have on hand is very good as is the paint and tampo. There is the rare bleed or rough paint line to be found, particularly on the Blue white and Red livery that is the subject of this review. Looking at the complexity of both the subject livery and the body (bumper shape was also an contributing issue), I'm fully prepared to cut Scalextric a break, I think overall they put in a good, solid effort. Sponsor markings are also well done, this facet of Scalextrics re-creation alone was quite something for me, a bit of a trip back in time really, very nice Scaley....

Model detail features were also quite good, from the Aunger/Cheviot "Hotwire" mag wheels, through to the single under door exiting exhaust that was favoured back then. Front grille and rear end also came up quite nicely, as did the spoiler shape (right down to the join in the middle of the front spoiler as it was a two piece design).

Interior, although basic contains enough detail to satisfy most, and the driver figure looks pretty good as well, good work Scaley I think you have found a good balance with the detail of this model!

With the aesthetics out of the way I thought it was time to check out the fun bits, time to get a little bit of track action happening :)

The Scalextric L34 Torana comes in at a reasonable 84 grams in weight on my scales. Net magnetic downforce is 227 grams, the chassis layout has the FF motor placed mid/in-line configuration, gearing is 9/27 with a OD wheel/tyre diameter of 19.00mm.

All pretty much run of the mill Scalextric actually, but did I mention the motor????

Yep, the Scalextric FF can and like all the others I've seen over the years, the one in the L34 Torana is a bit of a beast! Both samples I tested were turning 12000-12200 RPM at the back wheels and delivering enough torque to lift the standard tyres off the rim at full throttle. Nice.... well maybe, maybe not, depends on your "taste" I suppose.

Being the intrepid, devout Magnet racer that I am, I proceeded forth to the "man cave" to run some laps "out of the box" to give the rood readers of Home Racing World an idea of what this model will do in standard form, hey besides I thought to myself 220 grams of downforce is a heap for a model of this weight, Right???

Mmmm, NO!!!

To say that my inital test session was a revelation would be an understatement :)

I DID manage to get a best lap of 2.1 seconds on our small four lane Scaley Sport layout, but man oh man, was the L34 Torana an absolute and utter handful! It is a mega-quick slot car out of the box (the time was great for an untouched car), BUT turning consistent laps WAS NOT on this models agenda, it would break traction at the rear, also spear off corners seemingly at will (the stock Scaley guide blade being the culprit here). In addition the higher center of gravity the sedan shape of the Torana provided, I found the model to be quite "tippy" with changes in direction....

....I know all of the above doesn't sound too good!! Please bear with me though, as any model that CAN turn a best of 2.1 seconds on our glorified "Skid-pan" of a layout deserves a bit of time put into it.....

....Basically I did the standard HRW spec "tune" to the chassis with a couple of extra bits thrown into the mix. Truing and gluing of wheels/tyres/bearings, motor glued (hot glue) into the chassis. The stock spur and pinion gears were "check glued" with CA glue as well. The front tyres were capped with CA glue after final truing and contouring....

Speaking of "contouring" the sidewalls of the front and rear tyres, this would be a GREAT model to start the practice with, make it a good contour of the sidewall as well, this little beast needs all the help in the corners that it can get so it doesn't dig in and flip onto its roof....

I ended up cutting the rear tyres to 17.9MM and the fronts to 17.5MM on the two models I tuned. I did also play around with the height a bit, but this was what I felt worked best for me (and I really didn't want to go lower).

Those couple of extra bits to throw into the "mix" I mentioned earlier???

First up, Paul Gauge #20104 XPG tyres, these fit the Scaley V8 Supercars as well. I did find a little sanding of the sidewalls on the ones I fitted helped though. Ember tells me Aussie tyre maker MJK from South Australia is also making boots for the L34 Torana, I have used MJK tyres in the past and quite like them :)

The second addition to the tune is Scalextric part number #C8420 guide assembly.

Anyone who has done a little "Smokey Yunick" style chassis preparation for club will know this Scalextric part number!!! Basically its a guide with a deeper blade, you also get a spring for the top of it and some spare guide shoes. I'm not much for sprung guides, so I always trim the guide shaft down and mount it with just the screw.

If any model needs a deeper blade guide, its this one!!!!

Overall gearing after tyre change and re-profile was 18.74mm per rev, which is pretty bottom end focused, having said that, the stock FF can motor in this car has the revs to give a decent top-end, although I would love to see (or hear) what an extra tooth on the pinion would do on longer layouts. Upping the gearing could also reduce torque, something that probably wouldn't hurt this combination in the least :)

Just a note of advice here before I proceed, DO NOT water dip the Scaley FF motor!!! They don't like it and you will end up having to get a replacement.....

OK,with everything finished and put back together it was once again time to put the Scalextric L34 on the track and see if there had been any improvement made to the car.

On running the initial laps post tune I noticed an immediate improvement! Lap times had dropped to consistent 2.0 seconds with a best of 1.9 seconds, seriously quick for a model of this type (flying brick comes to mind).

The lap time improvement was only a part of it though, the Scaley L34 Torana was actually making consistent, fast laps around our layout, I was very impressed with the model!

Mind you, ANY lapse in concentration was punished by a quick de-slot, the L34 Torana, still had the handling tendencies mentioned earlier in the review but at nowhere near the level initially encountered.

With a final nett magnetic downforce of 250 grams after tuning, I wondered to myself how this car would go without magnet. I didn't ponder on this too long however, I'll leave that scenario to someone else I think :)

In summary, I have enjoyed the Holden L34 Torana from Scalextric. I fully acknowledge this model isn't everyone's cup of tea, although being a "global" release by Scalextric, I think the actual sector that it appeals to most is limited (Aussies put your hands up!), which is a pity as the model itself is a pretty good effort overall, providing the usual Scalaextric attention to build quality and presentation.

The Scaley L34 has its "twists" though! The handling is "quirky" at best in stock issue, the FF motor is a stonker, I wonder what this model would go like if an MRRC FF motor were substituted (thanks Embs!) or alternatively one of the M/T FF motors. I honestly think no-mag racing would be possible if a motor change were made....

Having said this and being a died in the wool magnet racer at heart, I personally found the L34 Torana an absolute hoot!!! It is both demanding and also rewarding if you are up to the mark, the car can and will punish you if you are anything but precise with throttle control.

I'm personally hoping the forthcoming Scalextric Ford XB GT is a more forgiving chassis, as I find the SP can and sidewinder configuration it is supposed to be equipped with will probably make a better club chassis for this new class of racing.

...However a "walk on the wild side" can be plenty of fun too....

Thanks Guys!

Last edited by Cosmic Bilby on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Scalextric HOLDEN L34 TORANA

Postby dr fabio » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 pm

Small correction Rob. 1974 winner was Goss and Bartlett in the XA Falcon. Id hate to know what this car would go like with magnets removed.

cheers
Dr Fabio
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:00 pm

Thanks Doc!

You are absolutely correct, will amend it now :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lenny Broke » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Lenny Broke

Postby Ember » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:25 pm

Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:30 pm

Well, not a car I would normally get...but I am happy they are making a car now and then for you.

It is good to see folks appreciate the models they finally get after waiting do long.

GREAT work, you put a lot of effort into this review and I appreciate it.

Your hired, see Helen Waite for salary and lucrative HRW benefit packages.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:36 am

Thanks H!!!

Its one of those "must have" models for me I'm afraid...

....Yep, its a handful (like the Scaley MKI Escort), but what the model represents means a heap to many of us.

Anyone that has seriously spent time building 1:1 Aussie 308 cube motors realizes what the L34 option package did not only for the Torana but also for the myriad of guys and girls out there that decided to stick with the GMH V8 instead of "Chevving" their rides.

Various components of the L34 package made it in some form into the majority of 308 build-ups for many years....

...I know the 308 I built in 1988 was using components copied from the L34 package, and didn't it make a difference!

Very good, highly under-rated street motors, real sleepers when built with a bit of care.

....Now bring on the SCALEXTRIC FORD XB GT and lets have round two of the 1/32 scale story :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:28 am

Really good review Robbo, does this mean I have to pull my finger out now and do the write up on Muscle Torrys for the Bench racers section. Coz It's coming. Honest.
Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:06 am

Thank you Ted!!!!

Mate, take as long as you like, I know there is a bit involved in it, but I know there are a lot of us here that enjoy reading the history you provide for us :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Reslotted » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:34 am

Reslotted
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 am

Thank you Ted!!!!

Just read it, great work (as always) mate :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Product Reviews!