SLOTING PLUS WHEELS

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

SLOTING PLUS WHEELS

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:05 pm

G'day Guys,

I've had an SCX JAS Honda Accord WTCC car sitting on my bench for yonks now and everytime I look at it the standard wheels give me the shivers (in a bad way). In short, they suck.....

Being a "Hondaphile" (Bi actually, cars and bikes), and owning an Accord Euro (Accura TSX) as my 1:1 transport, this little model means way more than it would to most.

As far as 1/32 models go, this one is pretty unremarkable, its OK, not perfect, but I knew if I could beat the wheel thing I would be able to make a really nice runner to use here at home....

I really wanted to try a set of the SLOTING PLUS wheels that I've seen on the net so that's what I chose for this model. They come in several styles and offer a range different dimensions, I chose the "America" style.

I also used Sloting Plus 55mm hollow axles, some Sloting Plus brake rotors (discs) and a Slot.it 27 Tooth (aluminum) crown gear.

The build was pretty usual SCX for me, the front plastic bearings were swapped out with Scalextric Sport metal bearings and glued in place.

The chassis components were "glued and trued" as per standard HRW fare, front tyres (stock) were capped with CA glue.

Motor was a "Smokey Yunick" prepped 42B.

Rear tyres are Paul Gage XPG urethanes.

I did have a couple of minor hickups in the swap out. The SLOTING PLUS discs I received wouldnt fit on the actual wheel hub, and being metal I didnt have time to drill them out (a small "medical" emergency at home). I found some plastic CARTRIX rotors in the parts bin, so a quick session with the dremel got them sorted out.

The other issue I had was with the grub screw size on these wheels. When will the leading manufacturers get together and work out an industry standard for this stuff????? Very frustrating, I'll get a hex key with my next order and add it to my evergrowing collection of hex keys....

Make no mistake, SLOTING PLUS products are first rate, beautifully made parts (and a car too!) that deserve a place in any parts box. The SLOTING PLUS wheels are no exception to this, they are in a word, exquisite :)

Perfect in fact....

Do I like the car after the swap out??? You bet, it runs as smooth as silk and turns very quick and consistent lap times on our home track (best of 2.1 seconds). Perhaps I'd choose the Sloting Plus "BBS" style wheel next time for this particular model, I may do this at a later date....

....But for now, I'm just wanting to run laps with it :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: SLOTING PLUS WHEELS

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Nice work "mate". I don't know how long a "yonk" is but I understand it is a long time.

They do make nice products. They look great on this car too. They have enough scale appeal for sure.

Great job, your hired.

See Helen Waite, our office administrator for current salary. :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 pm

:)

...Buddy its what we call a "Love" job over here, no pay required :)

My contract will have to be "seasonal" too mind! I start back at work in January (no holidays then for awhile) and I also have to keep our family Field Archery team on the road (literally, nine away tournaments next season, the State titles is 1700KM's away).

I'm sure I'll find time to get a little posted though during the year, but one things for sure, I'll be making the most of my Holiday time at the moment!!!

Just loving having the time to mess around in the man cave.....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Oh a yonk???

...An unspecified period of time, generally long.

Not to be confused with "Yank"...

You call them Sir ;)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:28 am

I use quite a few Sloting Plus wheels. They look great on anything, and they offer several different styles. I bought a set of the BBS style wheels for the DTM style MINI I'm building. Very nice, if I could find them again. :(
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Ember » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:14 pm

I must admit, I have a fondness for the Sloting Plus wheels. They look great on just about anything.

Although, it's worth keeping a check on the grub screws, they can be soft and prone to coming undone.

Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Yeah you bet!

Those Celica's were a lovely car too and the Sloting Plus wheels suit it very nicely too I must say :P

I'll keep an eye on the grub screws, its been copping a hammering since I finished it :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:55 am

Loosening grub or allen style screws can be lessened by flatting the axles. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:51 pm

Thats a good tip Footscoot!!!

They can be a bother to keep tight sometimes :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm

They do look great on anything. Even a Trabby. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:45 pm

:)

Yes even a Trabby!!!!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 am

Now thats a parts box right there!!!!!

Good work mate, am interested in those bearings as well, got some coming over from Getslotted with my next order, I think they will be a nice thing....
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Product Reviews!