[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera Porsche 917K

Carrera Porsche 917K

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Carrera Porsche 917K

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:15 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Carrera Porsche 917K

Postby Gameover » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:28 pm

i have this one in Fly form.... i think i need the carrera one to do a comparison :)
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby BRS Hobbies » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Harry,

Nice job on the review. I really impressed with this effort by Carrera. Our shipment of the Carrera Porsche 917K cars came in today and the cars look great in person!

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:53 pm

I have to say, if you are a detail noticer like me, that rear track is pretty damned easy to fix at minimal cost or just straight from the parts box. I'm very serious about details, I wire all my 1/24 engines, and do fuel lines and carb linkages, water hoses, etc. The track of the rear doesn't look that bad to me in these pictures, and like I say, it can be remedied in 30 minutes at home.

Once again, Carrera is our friend in pricing (drastically the best value per dollar), and availability (none of that "limited" nonsense, offering only on one side of an ocean or another). I have a lot of Fly 917s, like so many of us do, and I won't hesitate to pick these up, too.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby hksk25 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:23 pm

Does the digital car have headlights?
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Yes.

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:58 pm

I did not go into comparing to the FLY version because there is not much of one really. Aside from the outside, the models are miles apart (thank goodness) in performance.

I love a Fly Classic as much as anyone and guilty of having too many. But the fact is, below the body screws the models need a LOT of "help" to put it kindly.

And when you factor the latest MSRP of a Flyslot that really stops it cold.

I still like my old Fly models. Always will. No matter the flaws or cost to address them.
But if any newcomer asked me which one to get? Too easy...Carrera all the way.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TsgtRet » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:06 pm

Harry I love mine and it does great on my Ninco, home "test" track (with the red guide installed). Thanks for the heads up on the PG tires...fatter is better as far as I'm concerned. For now I sanded the center rib a bit and installed Indy Grip 1305s (same tires that fit the Greenwood Corvette). One thing I was glad to see in your review was that picture of the bottom of the rear....when I first saw that blank area with the 2 heat welds in it I thought I was missing something, apparently not. I would have to second your vote for SCOTY, this is one cool car.
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Great review boss!

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Great side by sides harry! Carrera really hit another grand slam!
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:04 am

Tire Update - A 100% correct sized tire mold is being created this week.

Until then the tires shown work just fine if you are willing to sand a little, which I know most of you will.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:20 am

Yeah, there's no better demonstration of Carrera's commitment than a direct price comparison, and the quality of the product is the best part. It doesn't bother me a bit to add to my 917s with these from Carrera- after all, these run great right from the box! What a concept!
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby MrAdept » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:45 pm

:text-yeahthat: This was one of the reasons I switched to Carrera - that and I enjoy the choice of cars in both 1/32nd and 1/24th scales.

Mark
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Junior » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:29 pm

Carrera really has done a great job lately, I am going to have to pick up a 917 or two, and maybe sneak in another DTM.
Junior
Shop Teacher

Postby ourwayband » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:18 pm

Great car and great review Harry!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Product Reviews!