A Trio of Red Cars

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

A Trio of Red Cars

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:12 pm

Carrera just released several cars at once, but I had been waiting for these two in particular. The classic Cheetah, possibly the most iconic of the super fast, all out sports racers, and a long awaited 289 AC Cobra. MRRC's new Cobra coupe completes the trio. I pre-ordered them and was very pleased to see them. This isn't really a formal review, more like an announcement that these are out and a detailed look see.

MRRC Cobra Coupe
First impressions are that the unusual finish on the car really detracts. I'm going to clearcoat it as soon as I can. The shade of red is very close to the only one of these cars I ever saw a color photo of, but I don't recall a gold racing stripe. Maybe there was one. That was a long time ago. Looking further, the Sebring chassis is a welcome sight. I have a motor swap in mind that will make this car a real smoothie. It will need a little weight to run on wood, so be ready. Also be ready for silly pricing. For this kind of money, I demand much better detailing. The body mounting screws at the rear rest on a thin plastic trestle that looks and feels like it will snap off fast. The front screw has a filler washer that goes in the chassis and is almost impossible to install. It must be hard for the manufacturer, too, because mine came from a sealed box stripped beyond usefullness. Its easy to fix, but I shouldn't have to for any new car, much less one that costs this much.

Cheetah
First of all, the color is dead on, and it isn't an easy color to get. That red/orange has stumped many a modeler. Its even difficult to get a photo correct. The wheels are well, perfect. I wish I could get my hands on a stack of them sold as spares, because I have a lot of projects that would benefit from these.

The Cheetah has the oddest body mount I've ever seen, and there have been some lulus over the decades. The four expected screws are joined by one horizontal screw that lives under a license plate panel at the rear. Extreme care is required to safely dismount that panel which is held tightly by a thumb catch, the kind that is used for battery compartments. Looking inside the body, it is clear that this body was designed to have lights, although this particular livery didn't have headlights and they are covered.

AC Cobra 289
If I could have picked the color it would have been this shade of red. And the wheels are very nicely done, as are the scale tires. The exterior is painted, so the interior of the body shell is a different shade of red. The temptation must have been to put fat tires all around, but that wouldn't have been prototypical. These may be a touch narrow, but that little bit can be overcome with aftermarket tires on the stock wheels. I'm sure that will be a popular tuning option.

Again, the body shows it is intended to have lights, and once again, no lights.

Okay, enough of the praise. Here's some more info. Carrera made a bad decision last year to delete lights from all non-digital cars, so most of the cars they make have no lights, although they do have lenses, body interior shading, and mounts for the lights they don't have. If you aren't interested in the new gimic, you don't get the lights that belong in the car. That's a big negative, and there's a lot more of it coming. Yes, they have had tons of complaints already, don't waste your emails. They apparently could care less about the customers who built their success, which is everybody who bought pre-digital.

Both cars have an excellent independent front end, similar but far better than the ones on Fly cars years ago. These are nicely mounted, no wobble, no problem. Its like they were proving that it could be done well, after we all came up with many ways to solve the Fly foible for all those years.

The brakes on newer Carreras are far better than in previous years. It doesn't appear that the gearing is changed at all, the cars are as smooth as Carrera cars are famous for, but the brakes are much better. Our consensus is that the motors have changed, though the markings on the motors are identical. Maybe the timing or magnets that Carrera specified for the motor have changed, but it still says E200 on the can. There is a distinct difference. For the most contrast, run a Charger Daytona or the Bentley Speed 8 around the track a few laps, then run one of these cars. Big difference. You will find any number of cars out there with much better brakes, but still, this is a major improvement. The Cheetah is downright nimble and an absolute blast to run.

Both cars need a little weight to compensate for the magnets that most of us don't care about, and I suspect that when some of our amazing tiremakers have replacements for the stock rubber, these cars will be a hot topic of conversation the world over.

Now to the big point, limited to slot car stuff. As world financial troubles have effected so many manufacturers, and opportunists the world over have taken advantage of the situation to do more harm than good, many cars have simply become bad investments. Prices have become silly on some cars, quality has fallen in some old friends' products. Some have simply vanished altogether. The manufacturers who have held the line on pricing and maintained quality standards are, not surprisingly, the best sellers and the most popular on the forums. Carrera has allowed a modest increase in pricing, not bad at all, and slightly improved quality. Unless you liked having the lights that belong in the cars.

In short, the Carreras are bargains, and run great, however irritating the attitude. The MRRC is a great car on a trusted chassis, but pricey.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Re: A Trio of Red Cars

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Thanks for your hard work sir!

Carrera is by far the value leader in our hobby. Plus Carrera is at least making the cars many of us on this side of the pond have been asking for. KUDOS to them.

I want them all by the way :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Jesla » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:58 pm

Maybe the better braking is due to the much lighter weight of the Cobra's and Cheetahs compared to the vintage Nascars.

The missing lights are a non-issue as it is common for me to remove them from all but the old Fly cars that had the capacitor and working brake lights.

Nice pic's and review.....
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:06 pm

I like the lights, and I also like getting what I pay for without pieces left out. The weight difference is not substantial. Try the bare chassis of both and prove it to yourself.

Nah, he'd never fit. A guy like that? With one screw? Geez, Jeremy!

I suspect that we will like that tailscrew. Think about the float of the body stabilized but not held tight. Might be worth a try?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:59 pm

Alright! Enough jokes about my...nevermind.

Nice review, Rob. I have to admit...my eyes are more drawn to the MRRC paint. I like the satin quality it has. Not so shiny as to blind me around the track.

In all seriousness though, Carrera has done a spectacular job on their cars as of late and the price is awesome.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:11 pm

David, don't be embarrassed, but the pain pills and your huge output of energy while convalescing have blinded you to the possibility that there might be someone else called "Dave". Its natural. Here at the clinic we see it all the time. Group meets in an hour.

Carrera... Dave Kennedy? Now get back to the man cave and tell us about Paul's tires.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:42 pm

Rob - now THAT was funny! Yep, too many Daves on the forum! I've been off the meds for awhile now. It's the therapy for work-related stress that is the real issue...
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby smallblockhero » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:02 pm

great review..bravo. all the bits of info ive been wanting to hear about. lov the pics especially that cheetah. she is a beaut.the rivets around the windows just suck my eyes right into it. im also glad to see the sebring chassis on the MRRC. the old adage applies here ...K.I.S.S.
smallblockhero
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:17 am

Yesterday I had the privilege and pleasure to both see and drive one of the new Carrera Cheetahs. I was quite impressed with the car and I will soon have one in my racing stable. In my opinion Carerra has hit a Home Run with this particular car.

The car, right out of the box, ran very well - even on the stock tires - it was smooth, quiet and surprisingly fast. It was obsevered to have a decent amount of brakes and overall the appearance was oustanding. I think the only problem Carrera is going to have on this particular car is keeping up with the demand for this car! Perhaps they should also bring out at least 2 more additional liveries as I can see this becoming a favorite car for club racing.

It is a great value, good to look at and a blast to drive. It should be about as popular as the original Cheetah was when Cox brought them out in the 1960's.

Kudos to Carerra for an outstanding new Cheetah in 1/32.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby dge467 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks for the review! I see these cars racing on my track in the near future!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:34 pm

...Three really nice choices there Rob!

I like all of them, they are on the radar for me, I've actually ordered the white Carrera Cobra hardtop (just love the shape), but I can see myself getting an MRRC too in the future.

Nice and great work, thanks for sharing mate!
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:46 am

I think you need to read it again. The lights issue is only on the Carreras. That''s why that MRRC car is discussed separately. The issue with the lights isn't whether you want them or not. That's irrelevant. The issue is that we are paying the same that we paid when the cars had lights, and we aren't getting them because Carrera wants to push the digi stuff. If they decided to do this dumb policy, the price of the cars without lights should be cheaper, if only a symbolic amount, to be good business.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Jesla » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:52 pm

jmho.......deleting the lights from non-digital car was cost saving measure more than pushing digital. They simply reduced content and, with the global economy in the state that it is, kept the price from increasing. I think it's a smart move.

Removing lights from cars doesn't bother me, I don't really like them, nor push me in anyway toward digital......

Just say'n

:)
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Zagato » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:19 am

These look real nice. Shape looks good on the two Cobras. I'm wondering if they handle any better these days. They used to be like a Panzer tank loaded up with lead some years back.

Graham.
Zagato

Return to Product Reviews!