Half fast review of the Avant slot gulf mirage

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Half fast review of the Avant slot gulf mirage

Postby btaylor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:40 pm

Just got these two from Slot car corner, and thought I would share a quick rundown on the internals of them.

They are Avant slot Gulf mirage cars from the 1975 Le Mans race.
Great looking cars with very good detail! I could not tell you if they are historically accurate or not, but I like the looks of them a lot! but, I am a sucker for any Gulf Livery car. That being said, I will turn them over for a look underneath.
Obviously they are Angle winder configuration, and I cant tell you what RPM motor they are, I need to research that a bit yet.
They have aluminum rear hubs, and gear, using the same hex head size as the slot-it cars and parts.
Odd that they used plastic bushings instead of brass.
Looking at the front end, it has stub axles, with enough adjustments to make any tinkerer happy! looks like camber as well as up and down settings, also using the hexhead wrench.ImageImage
They also have a very nice guide that does not come attached. you must install it your self. it is a screw type, not a snap in, and seems to be of very good quality, and has good blade size.
As I said in the title, a half fast review. Not as in-depth as Most on here, but enough to let you see what you are buying if you are looking at them. I ran both of them right out of the box, with only a braid adjustment, and a quick cleaning of the silicone rear tires. I also popped out the THREE magnets in the chassis! The first runs netted some pretty good times for my track, and run about the same as an out of the box slot it. some tuning would net better results I am sure, and of course for me, some PG Rear tires! first laps on the Mirage.
This time is from a Slot-it Ferrari 312PB also right out of the box.
Buy in on this limited edition set from SCC, was $85 for the set. that's $42.50 per car in my book, and not a bad deal at all for what you get. they will run with my slot its just fine, and look damn good doing it too!

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: Half fast review of the Avant slot gulf mirage

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:57 pm

You are hired. Well done. Looks like a nice set for the racers out there.

Motor is the "Hurricane" 27K I am pretty sure.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:48 pm

Good one Bob. Right to the meat.
I have one of them and they are a blast to run.
One of my faster cars, and fun to tune .
I really liked the tunable front axles.
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby scatman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:17 pm

Bob, I spent some time trying to get the front wheels right. Thinking about a single axle.
scatman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Fri May 01, 2015 7:07 am

Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I was wondering what those Avant Slots looked like inside.

Three magnets in stock form??? :o Wow. I guess there is no ambiguity when it comes to what kind of racer these are geared towards.

I don't own any of their cars, but love their guides. I use them on my Cartrix GPLs. Originally I had bought one because it came pre-wired and I was feeling too lazy to solder, but they hold the slot (in Sport track) better than other after-markets that I've tried.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Fri May 01, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks all, I got a little track time with them last night. I run my track at 8.5 volts, and the avant slot motor seems to like that voltage. As with my slot it's, they really have a good bit of torque, and i cant really use the RPM's the motor is capable of. After a about fifty laps, they quieted down a bit, and got smoother. Although they were pretty smooth right out of the box, you could tell there was a difference. Overall, I am very pleased with them. I would buy Avant slot's again, so it was money well spent to me. When thing settle down a little around here, I will be playing with the tuning capability's the chassis has, and see were that takes them. But for an RTR Car, they are nice. I did have to move the rear wheels inboard a small amount, as they were making contact with the body. Not a big deal by any means, but something that does need checked when they first arrive. I believe that on a large track, these cars would be rockets, and if using the magnets they send on a plastic track, they would be pretty hard to beat. The cars are available individually too, so that is a plus if anyone is considering giving them a try. Thanks to SCC for putting them on sale! that is what made me make the jump on these. Not overpriced at the normal amount, but every little bit helps. I like the fact that they run about like the slot it cars, it gives me more car options in the class of cars, and the price individually is about the same too.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Return to Product Reviews!