DArt hay bales

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

DArt hay bales

Postby HRWJim » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:49 am

Ok so I know this is not a slot car and it's a scenery item but after trying for a looooong time to make hay bales that look even close to correct,I picked up these at DArt Hobbles. I tried real hay and I tried saw dust but nothing really worked. DArt Hobbies carries a number of products we know. He carries all the BWA products and some scenery items and scratch building items and even a kit for Honda RA 273 a classic f-1. I believe Art has taken over the sales for BWA products and the customer service so far has been great. Good communication with the only problem being shipping from Canada. Just a little slow for this impatient guy.

So on to the hay bales. These bales are made of rubber of some kind and will be very forgiving when hit by your cars. They are soft to the touch and BTW bounce quite well. ( We found this out thanks to my son Jake throwing one on the ground and bouncing it off my face. :roll: )
They are very easy to paint I used yellow ochre from Woodland Scenic, followed by a light wash of a mixture of black India ink and 70% alcohol. For the bindings I thought about painting them but in the end went the safe route and tied black thread around the bale. Like Harry always says it looks good enough for my eye.
Here's a pic of the bales after I painted them( a little blurry but you get the idea.)and then a comparison of the unpainted and painted,(unpainted on right, they come molded in yellow) then lastly a shot for scale comparison. Art suggests a VERY small amount of Gorilla glue to hold them in place but I may leave mine unglued so I can move them if I want. They are a little expensive at 10 bucks for 10 bales but worth it if you have ever been frustrated by trying to make your own. In the end I will buy more. They are easy to paint
(Jake did 1/2 of them and he's 12), they won't hurt your cars and won't make a mess like my 1st two attempts. Thanks for reading Jim

HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: DArt hay bales

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:56 am

This is a great review. Thanks Jim, these little things are what bring more to our hobby.

Nice Job!!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:55 pm

Hay....wait a second. (hehe)

What's the deal on the new car there? It looks great!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:07 pm

I spotted that, too. A Pioneer Bullitt racer? Looks great.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HRWJim » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 pm

It's a Carrera Stang with Pioneer wheels and PG tires. I replaced the motor with a SCCA approved MT-1 but everything else is Carrera. I had no problem with the gearing so I left it and the axle. I still have tuning to do , lead to add and such and a possible guide change but I thought it looked the part. It even has a roll bar. Oh ya and I lopped off the guys head with needle nose pliers and replaced with an MT resin head. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:30 pm

Well, at least the rules have been clarified. MT heads are legal.

Great job Jim.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HRWJim » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 am

Normally engine modifications are not allowed but the use of MT heads are approved. Jim BTW the Stang is a pretty good runner even before tuning.
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ListerStormGT » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:38 pm

Great write up on the hay bales Jim, Im sure Dave will be interested in these as I know he has had a time trying to make hay too. I noticed that Mustang too and its a looker!
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Thanks Lee they're a great little product. I know they don't have universal appeal but nice to have none the less. Thanks for the compliment on the Stang, didn't do much but change the tires and put meatballs on. JIm
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:38 pm

Jim - you've been holding out on the Mustang, you rat! Looks awesome from what I can see!

The bales look decent. I've actually perfected my method, but haven't made more than 6 before my surgery. I'll do a few more and post a writeup.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Cincyslots » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Cool!!
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HRWJim » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 pm

They are cool Bruce. David the Stang was way too easy, change of tires, MT-1 and stick on numbers. Still haven't tuned it but will soon. Jim
HRWJim
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Product Reviews!