[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Why has nobody made a new production Magnet Marshall?

Why has nobody made a new production Magnet Marshall?

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Why has nobody made a new production Magnet Marshall?

Postby Mayberryman » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:46 am

I have been around this hobby of Plastic Chassis based slot car racing for about two years and I have always wondered why no company has ever produced a simple version of the original Magnet Marshall. I have looked on the different sites for a used one with no luck and head of this New Toy Tech one from Cincy slots but when I called I was told that the one they had shown would not be produced and they honestly could not tell me when another version would become available. Now my question, is there not enough interest and or need to justify a company making one or what. I have seen the homemade ones and have a version myself, however, I would like to find either an original or a new version. A simple version that does not have to be a computer or a dyno.
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Why has nobody made a new production Magnet Marshall?

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:53 am

I would guess it has to be lack of demand. The tooling to produce it wouldn't be outrageous, but probably too much for the number of units that would be sold. The original maker probably saw how many units he sold and said "probably not worth making another".
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby btaylor » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:32 am

If a person was handy, with a little engineering, and backyard basics, You could build your own.
It would not be the same as the original, but if all cars were tested using the same tool, it would not matter.
A spring loaded steel plate, with a resistor and linkage attached to the plate reading through a volt meter, would give you a pull measurement in volts. (think controller).mount all that in a homemade box, and test away. The various strengths of the magnets and distance from the plate, would have a different pull on the plate. You could also build a fixture for just holding a magnet by itself at a given distance from the plate, and test individual magnets that way.
Just a thought?

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby ming charlie » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:41 am

A lot of us "basement racers " use them. We have a club of about 15 racers and use the 2 Magnet Marshalls
we have every time we race .Other clubs in our area also use them a lot. I would think that if they produced
anther one that was not priced as high as some of the used ones ( $200.00) go for on E-bay. You would sell enough to pay for the cost. Hope someone does make another.
Charlie
ming charlie

Postby ddyke » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:53 pm

I have one I don't use.
ddyke
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm

Here is an inexpensive homemade version.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby arroldn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:25 pm

Fantasy World shows this.

DS-0090 - Pocket Magnet & Motor Checker

http://www.fantasyworldhobbies.com/slot ... r-checker/
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby steeveew » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:11 pm

Bruce at Cincyslots showed this.

http://homeracingworld.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9641

Steve
steeveew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Yes, but as he stated in the top, it's not available and not being produced.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby DaveKennedy » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:46 pm

it's a very limited market. maybe a few hundred pieces a year would be sold in North America... and once those are sold and everyone that has one gets one there would be VERY few orders after that.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby Cincyslots » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:29 am

We have a supplier that is suppose to have a new version ready this year. He claims it will come with a USB to save info to your PC. I hope it happens. The past model is very nice!

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby McLiams » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 am

What seems like it would be an informed source has said that the original designer sold the rights. Apparently, DS is tooling up/Beta testing a model with some added features (though what exactly, this writer does not know). It will not cost anywhere near the price of the DS Test Bench ($700 or there abouts).

Mc
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cincyslots » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:46 am

I talked with the supplier and they are suggesting that it will be available about the end of May. They will have the standard version as well as a USB version so you can save data on your PC. Next question is pricing. I won't have those details until then. My guess is $124.99-$139.99. THIS IS ONLY A GUESS. I hope to get it as low as possible of course. We will be the only dealer selling these.

Bruce

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby McLiams » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:29 am

Bruce,

Thanks for the update. If it is more stable than the old Magnet Marshal, then it will probably replace mine. The scale jumps around a lot. The USB feature sounds very interesting. Wonder what the software interface would be...Excel, or whatever?

Mc
McLiams
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Product Reviews!