DMX Slot car racing

All the Latest & Greatest New Product Reviews!
Share Your Thoughts!

Re: DMX Slot car racing

Postby ourwayband » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Hey guys got the set in this afternoon.Well packaged .The track goes together well and seems to be well built.The cars fired right up and seem to work as advertised..Two AAA batteries for each car and two for each controller.The cars seem to be pretty tough and decently built.We have only opened two so far.Being used to slot cars we did notice one seemed a bit slower then the other.Upon inspection I found one of the rear wheels was not tight.You could move it with your hand while holding the other.It popped right off and I added a couple drops of super glue to the wheel.Seems to have fixed the problem.
One thing I don't like.The cars have a speed chip in them.If you go full throttle for over 30 seconds,they slow to about 1/3 speed for about 8 seconds.A big change in speed for sure.The lights do blink when you have full throttle to let you know your wide open..To me this is a deal breaker.Though I haven't raced with any one yet I see this being a killer in the fun department..You can just about go around the track full throttle,you sure can after a few laps of racing..
They do track decent and have a decent amount of speed at full throttle.Not slot car speed but decent...I did try them out on my Carrera layout.Yep,you can change lanes any where you want.You do have to watch out and do have to drive them.The rotating pin will sometimes ride along on Carrera's some what raised rail.Plus I need to get some safety rails along my table edge toooooo.. ;) The cars move side to side via the rotating pin,the front wheels do not steer..
After about 45 minutes of off and on again running one could tell a drop in speed.Looks like the batteries will last maybe less than an hour.Maybe 30 minutes of constant running at good speed.We were running with lights off.
The set does function as advertised and we could see this being fun for some folks that are doing just that,wanting to have fun.Maybe I'm too used to the instant power and control of our slot cars with out power limits put upon me beside my limited driving skill..The track goes together well,stays together well and comes apart decently.Wish some of the other track systems assembled this well..One could use rechargeable batteries to save there..
Would I recommend the System?? Hard to say.What are you looking for,a toy to have fun,this may be it.While the cars are smooth The speed and speed control is not what slot racers are used to.The Infrared controllers need to be in open sight of the track with in a few feet..
The track is limited to one size straight and one size curve which limits track design.
Is it more fun or as fun as slot car racing,no not to me.Different,some fun ,but found I missed the control of our systems..

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:08 pm

Pretty much my feelings on the system as it is. Just imagine though if they fine tune this and make an upscale version with faster cars,better controllers and on board fuel management.

Sorry I never thought to mention the boost function. It kind is like the CART push to pass idea.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 pm

I agree,with some refinements this could be a great set..Now for some bad news.After some more running one car started to start and run on it's own.Maybe we had a bad set...
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby viejoronnie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:47 pm

I may snag a few of the 4 car/4 channel sets (for extra cars, track, replacement parts) at clearance prices before they disappear into the toy dumpster of history.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby viejoronnie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:38 pm

After looking around I have seen the 2 car sets with the gen 1 paddle controllers for as little as $70 and the 4 car sets with the gen 2 trigger/steering wheel controllers for $150. Could be fun to modify for a bit more speed. Upgrade to Li ion rechargebles , higher speed motors, etc.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby viejoronnie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 am

This seems similar to the Worlds of Wonder GT Super Screamers slotless system from nearly 30 years ago. The DMX system seems to allow multiple cars driven by inexperienced (young kids) to hug the outside retaining wall at max speed, while older experienced folk can drive and pass in the other lanes.

Interesting web page:
http://www.tycotcrracing.com/index.php/ ... storation/
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:11 pm

JC Penny still has the 4 car set on sale for $ 118.19.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby viejoronnie » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:26 pm

That's a great price, thanks for the heads up.
viejoronnie
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to Product Reviews!