1970 Chev Monte Carlo.....

For All Scales Of Drag Racing!
Vintage to Modern

1970 Chev Monte Carlo.....

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 pm

G'day Guys,

I've posted in the painting forum as well, but thought I'd put up some pics here as well.....

This is the first 1/25 drag car that we have completed "In-House". My wife did the body and I put it together.....

The Monte Carlo is for Nomad Raceway and Hobbies (my local club) "Show and Go" class. This class has a 1.400 second breakout, the track is a scale 1/8TH mile so outright performance isn't a priority but consistency is.

I chose to use a Parma Edge chassis as the basis for this build (an easy start for me!). I used a 3/32 rear axle with Parma adjustable bearings, Parma 48 pitch King Crown (with adapter sleeve), a Parma 16D home set motor (as mentioned earlier, outright power isnt a priority). Parma, guide, Big Mama 408 braids, and Parma wiring round out the power side of things. Wheels are Pro-Track, .500 width on the rear, I started with 1 3/16th height and cut them down to fine tune the gearing for this car, naturally the tyres ended up trued as a result.....

Will be great to get this one running in competitions, really looking forward to it and love the job the Captain has made on her first attempt at painting a slot car body :)

We are starting our next project this weekend, its the Monogram Motorcraft/Budweiser Ford T-Bird of Frank Iaconio's.

This car will be for Nomad Raceway's Pro-Stock class (of course!), and will feature a WRP chassis, 1/8TH axles (rule specification) and a Plafit FoxII motor and 48 pitch gearing (again to meet the class specification).

Really looking forward to this one, I get to try building a chassis from scratch :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 1970 Chev Monte Carlo.....

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:12 am

Thanks Dave!

I think we will muddle along ok with these models.....

....There is a lot to be said in favor of Scratch building, both of us enjoy doing what we put into it, the cars are unique, and no more sitting around waiting for manufacturers to make what you would like to run (like 1/32 scale).

Its also great to see them run down the track :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:29 am

It's definitely great to see something you've had a whole lot of input on running against others.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby Cosmic Bilby » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:02 pm

Thanks Guys :)

We are really enjoying this side of the hobby, my wife isn't interested in the slot car racing, she just wants to paint them, which suits me, because I suck at it :)
Cosmic Bilby
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Flytoo » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:06 pm

That is indeed, one great looking ride! :text-bravo:
Flytoo
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:33 pm

I love Monte Carlos! Nice work!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby DixonJohn » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:50 pm

Love the scoop. Takes me back to my teen age days. Always thought the snorkel scoop was the bomb
DixonJohn
"The Mayor"

Return to Holeshot Alley!