[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - AFX should do some drag cars. Thoughts?

AFX should do some drag cars. Thoughts?

For All Scales Of Drag Racing!
Vintage to Modern

AFX should do some drag cars. Thoughts?

Postby downtowndeco » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:47 pm

They've got this modern, low MEGA G+ chassis, AW has already broke the ground a bit by releasing a dragstrip & some cars, it might be whole new field for AFX to explore, mainly because w/their chassis they could make the cars low right out of the box. I'm thinking generic or lesser done funny car liveries from the 70's and a modern version of what they run today. Maybe some old fashioned pro mods as well. Any thoughts?
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: AFX should do some drag cars. Thoughts?

Postby Slot GT » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:10 pm

I would definitely be interested in these offerings if AFX made them.
Slot GT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:06 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Your cars are awesome. Thanks for that tutorial you posted a few weeks ago too.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:16 pm

That Auto World dragster looks super legit. What wheels did you use to get the look right?

Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:20 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:24 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:27 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Tell us more about the resin mounting posts. Do you glue them to the inside of the body or....? thanks so much.
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:01 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:08 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby sweet » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:13 pm

sweet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks so much for the tutorials, I really appreciate it.

Cheers!
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby model murdering » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:04 am

Great stuff Sweet! You speaka mah lankwidge!

Tweener parts will be required, if they really wanna get real.

The main issue is the availability of suitable rims. Lets face it, the AFX Specialty rear Ansen is a bit dated and as cartoonish as the funky Model A's, Roarin Rolls, and Peace Tanks they came on. Dont get me wrong ... I love them, but contrary to the Otto Whirled mantra, I dont love them on everything.

In addition there isnt much in the way of tires to fit them. Currently the factory Drag car offering for the fat Ansen is a low pro tire ... giggle. If you think thats OK, then no need to read further. The other option is the aftermarket MONDO dragster tire, which when employed, jacks the chassis rake of a standard Specialty chassis into the stupi-sphere. Grrrrrrrrr

Bear with me. I gotta tell ya this before I tell ya that. Way in the way back, I started shaving hubs and narrowing wheels. In this case, I widened the fat back lip Specialty rim to a full width Dragster thin back lip. Merely a meaty conversion for AFX Funny cars using a full width Specialty tire (lo-pro).

Score a no go line to establish the lip, then complete a forward bevel cut.

Remove the remainder of the fat back lip.

Go racing.

Fast forward a few years.

I arrived here during a scratch build and needed an acceptable out. Clearly the jumbo lipped rim with a lowpro wasnt going to cut it. Per usual I just stop and stare at it until the solution presents itself. Eventually I saw a completely new rim hiding in the old rim.

Here's the same idea as above with an added twist. I executed my standard cut back, and then using my eyecrometer cut the back lip as deep as the first step in the front of the rim. The entire second step of the rim is removed to reduce the diameter. Then the remaining lip is cut away.

So its a back set, reduced diameter, narrowed Fat Ansen

The catalyst is the after market .500 AFX Drag tire. When mounted it gives you something 'tween the extremes. Check the side wall pout. Makes me wanna go up and pinch those cheeks!

If you feather the Alclad right you can get the polished rim with the cast center look. The bonus is that your front and rear rim still match.

The kicker is that one can narrow the fat Ansen half again as much as shown because they have a very deep hub/center. Although I left a good sized nib on the hub above, it can be removed with no ill effects. It's not particularly difficult or time consuming, all it takes is something with a fairly straight arbor, and some sharp hobby blades.
model murdering
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:02 pm

My response to this statement - as a hard core Aurora and AFX guy - is a resounding... YES!!!
Great idea! Please, Steve Russell - see how well the Auto World drag cars are selling.
And you've got a smoother running, more slim design chassis to mount said drag style bodies to (not to mention two wheelbase options).
Yeah, I'm having FUN with the AW stuff, but I'm still running LOTS of Aurora and AFX cars on the drag strip every week as well.
And my inline road racing stable is all modern AFX Super G+, Turbo/SRT, Mega G, and Mega G+ cars. Thanks for all those great products.

Just my holiday wish list request... Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to Holeshot Alley!