HO Funny Car help.

For All Scales Of Drag Racing!
Vintage to Modern

HO Funny Car help.

Postby downtowndeco » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:43 pm

I ordered a body to play with & wanted to see if it would fit under a Mega G chassis. The wheelbase is pretty close, and when I lightly set the body on the chassis it looks great....

Image[/URL]

...the other side though, not so great...: )

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Anyone have any luck making the Mega G or some similar chassis fit & look good? I can't even get the front wheels off of this car they are stuck on the axles so hard. I want to build a drag strip but only if I can get a fleet of Funny Cars to look right. Suggestions?
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: HO Funny Car help.

Postby RichD » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:39 am

I believe that Mega Gs have knurled front axles, if you do pull the wheels they probably will have to be glued back on.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:10 am

I've had the same problem with trying to adjust the end play on the Mega G fronts on my road racing chassis - they won't budge. I'm stuck running the cars on the road course as they are for now, because our rules package requires stock front wheels and axles, with just a little wiggle room to use a slightly smaller diameter tire. Any replacement front tire must still be the same full width as from the AFX factory, and independently spinning front wheels are not allowed.
As for your situation, to my knowledge no one makes a puller for the .047" axle size, which would come in VERY handy! Any takers out there, you CNC guys? The standard pullers sell for $15-20 each, so I'm sure there is a profit margin for a manufacturer. I'd hate to recommend you destroy the factory supplied front axle, but you could just cut it in half (with a heavy duty wire cutter) and push the wheels off from behind. Then they could be drilled out to .059-.063" and reused on a chassis with standard 1/16" axles fabricated from brass tubing. Or you could try making 1/16" axles work for the fronts on the Mega G chassis. I haven't tried that yet, but I think there may be room. Or, replacement narrow front wheels could be substituted with O ring front tires to tuck the front end inside the body. As for the rears, you could narrow the hubs or replace them with something else and use slip on silicone tires 1/4'' wide (or thinner) to accomplish the same for the rear of the car. Even slightly larger in diameter probably wouldn't affect the performance of the car on a drag strip, with those strong stock "Neo" traction magnets doing the job for you. Don't forget, you may have to tweak the pickup shoes a bit to get them to ride flat on the rails when you're finished with your modifications.

Good luck, I hope this helps or gives you some other ideas. Happy Holidays... ENJOY!! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby downtowndeco » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:42 pm

My first crude attempt at lowering a AW Funny Car & using a Mega G Chassis.

First I clipped out the front axle (since the wheels are almost impossible to pull off). Next I snipped off the little bracing/extensions on the front of the chassis & filed it flat to gain a bit more clearance.
I added a new axle tube & epoxied it in place a few hairs farther forward to better match the wheelbase of the AW FC bodies. Next time I'll move it even a smidge farther forward & use a brass tube, I just used what I had this time.

I replaced the front axle & wheels using a set off an older AFX car from the 90's I had laying around.

I Shaved/filed the front wheels down to narrow them, and then I added O Ring tires.
I shaved/filed down the rear wheels, and then replaced the slicks with Jel Claw Hot Rod tires. Don't look too close at the wheels, they're kind of crude but again, I was trying to use what I had on hand.

I dremeled out the inside of the front & rear wheel wells. I still need to figure out a mounting system but to just test this I'm going to try 2 sided foam tape. Hopefully I've got enough clearance, if not I think I can shave a bit more off the inside of the wheel wells.
Questions?

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]
downtowndeco
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Holeshot Alley!