Auto World HO Drag Strip - a great promotional tool

For All Scales Of Drag Racing!
Vintage to Modern

Auto World HO Drag Strip - a great promotional tool

Postby BIG E » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:31 pm

Once again, I dragged out three 6 foot folding resin tables and all the gear associated with the AW 'strip and set up just short of 18 feet of track at a large annual 1/1 scale show here on Long Island. I swapped out the AW controllers for a pair of classic Aurora Russkit A/FX trigger units and plugged in the new AFX Tri-Power supply set on expert (22v). I was located in the showroom of a major automotive trimmer's shop (the host sponsor). All the kids, families, and adults that attended the car show enjoyed lots of heads up drag racing action, free of charge. I supplied Ford, Chevy, and MoPar cars, mostly with Tomy Turbo/SRT or AFX Super G plus chassis. I had a few Tyco 440 powered cars, too, along with Lightning McQueen, Doc Hudson, General Lee, Police and Taxi cars, ect. just for fun.
The whole deal was to promote the three major model/slot car shows on LI -- Super Bowl Sunday Slot Car Show (2/7/16), the LI Toy Car Trifecta (4/3/16), and the Long Island Auto Replica Society (LIARS) Model Car Challenge (11/14/15). Being a member of the LIARS, I set up another table with a white cloth cover and the LIARS club banner behind it so that club members could display models to the public - out of harm's reach! I handed out at least 150 flyers to all comers, and the response was great. I've done this a few times now, and it's a win-win for the show promoter and the model/slot car community. And this time out - no equipment casualties, not even a lost tire or pickup shoe!
Like the man once said... A pleasant time was had by all! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Auto World HO Drag Strip - a great promotional tool

Postby dge467 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:14 pm

That is great to hear Ernie! :text-bravo:
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby TuscoTodd » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:49 pm

VERY cool!
Two thumbs up sir!
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby BIG E » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:34 am

Thanks guys, it was fun. I even convinced our suit and tie attired county executive to pose for a starting line photo with me and a quick blast down the strip. After the run he said, "Thanks Ernie, but I think you let me win." To which I replied, "Yes, I may have!" We all got a good laugh out of that, after which he went on to his hand shaking regimen, and I got the next pair of kids up to pick their rides and get ready for their run. It really is a good way to bring the general public's attention to the hobby.
Glad you enjoyed the story... I'm thinking I should have posted it in Bench Racer's Lounge for better exposure! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:48 am

Ernie,

Thanks for sharing about the event. I have thought of doing something similar and you gave me some good ideas. Do you happen to have any pictures handy of your set up?

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Brian, check your personal email (not the HRW PM system). -- Ernie
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Going out tomorrow morning to do it again at the annual Hot Rod and Vintage Drag Car Show here on Long Island. We get hundreds of spectators at this show, and the line forms quickly for free runs on the HO drag strip! As usual, the Island's plastic model car club, the LONG ISLAND AUTO REPLICA SOCIETY, will have some of our member's finest works on display for public viewing. It's a bit of work for the day, but well worth the promotion for our three big Long Island model/slot car shows, and the hobby in general. I'll be handing out hundreds of flyers to all comers, one each for the three different shows. This is a family friendly event.
And of course... to see, hear, and smell those nitro burning vintage 392 Hemi engines fire up is always well worth the trip! They'll be old rail jobs, altereds, gassers, and a fairly modern (VERY loud) top alcohol funny car, too! Plus the parking lot next door is full with all types of street driven muscle cars, customs, street rods, ect. If you're on the Island, check out East Neck Auto Service's website for more info. They're located on RT109 in West Babylon just east of the Nassau/Suffolk border on the south shore, minutes south of RT27 Sunrise Highway. Donations are accepted for the wounded warrior project, and all T-shirt proceeds also go the this worthy foundation.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot... admission is FREE !!
Hope to see ya there! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RV Racing » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:55 am

This is a great project! I've thought about doing a similar slot car drag race at a weekly "cars and coffee" event that's held on Saturday morning at a nearby shopping mall, or bring a track to our monthly car club meeting (1:1 cars). Would love to see some photos of your setup if you have any.

Thanks!
Rick V.
RV Racing
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Holeshot Alley!