[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Trying my hand at local 1/24 drags - building a Hurst Olds!

Trying my hand at local 1/24 drags - building a Hurst Olds!

For All Scales Of Drag Racing!
Vintage to Modern

Re: Trying my hand at local 1/24 drags - building a Hurst Ol

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:32 am

Some cool looking rides there Todd, and yours will fit right in. Nice work!

But I gotta say, I ain't quite sure what to think about this pickup (or what's left of it...) :lol:
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Gameover » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:47 am

Way Cool!!!! I wish some of these kits were in 1/32
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby 4424ever » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 am

Email sent
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BIG E » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Todd,

I was wondering if you've begun shakedown runs of your 1/24 Hurst/Olds 442 yet?
Just thinking about it and wanted to know how you made out with the project.

Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:57 am

Ernie -
The track owner has been on vacation so the first outing is planned for this Wednesday! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby BIG E » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:13 pm

Cool! I'll be at one of my Long Island HO racing clubs on Wednesday night as well.
Have a great time with your new ride. Enjoy! -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 am

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:14 am

Shake down action!

I couldn't find what I done with the intended 32 tooth crown gear for this build, so I ended up substituting in a 30 tooth against the 9 tooth pinion to mate up with the 1.0625" tall rear tires. Not ideal, BUT it made for a great spot to start as the combo still proved to be smooth and relatively quick!

Best time of the night was a 1.264 second run at 38.0mph :D

I picked up 31, 32 and 33 tooth crowns at the track last night and will be experimenting with them next week.
(hopefully I will have a driver figure by then as well so I can finish off the inside!)

Definitely good entertainment! :D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby 4424ever » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:26 am

Funny I was just going to ask you if you got my email when I saw your message. That car turned out gorgeous and it looks like your already right in the ball park congrats job well done :music-rockout:
4424ever
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:37 pm

As a follow up on the Olds, we had our second week of racing of the newly formed "spec" drags and have to say it was a heck of a lot of fun!
:banana-dance:
To keep things entertaining, instead of just doing normal bracket racing, we are following a format similar to the TV show "Street Outlaws" - in fact, we dubbed our group the "330 Outlaws" (again a nod to the TV shows groupings of cars by area code)
For those that haven't seen the show, the general structure is you have a "list" of the top ten cars of the group. In order to get on "the list" you have to race in. To do that, you start by challenging the lowest car on the list. If you can beat it, that car moves down (or off the list if the list is full) and you move on to the list above them. From there, you move up the list by challenging the car in the position above you one at a time, progressing until you get beat. (meaning you have to work your way through the list beating higher ranked car/driver combinations in order to get to the top of the list.)

We set the order of the list last week strictly by best ET's of the night - which put my Hurst Olds in at the #2 spot on the list.
In among the the various challenges this week, were a challenge for my spot by the #3 car on the list "The 40 oz" Willys:

We agreed up front to a "best of three" format for the position.

As part of my "tuning" since last week (based on suggestions on here and at the track) I went with steeper gears this week, changing over from the prior 9-30 gearing to a 9-32 ratio for last night's action. The Olds definitely liked the additional gearing, improving both in ET and MPH departments over last week! :D

Round one of our best of three, "The 40oz" red lighted - giving the Olds a 1-0 cushion (my Olds ran a 1.238 - improving on my best from last week!)
Round two ended the series with my Olds edging "The 40oz." with a 1.229 to 1.238 ET with nearly identical reaction times off the line.
My #2 position was safe for the evening!

With my #2 spot secured, I was off to challenge the #1 car on the list - the "Agent Orange" Nova!

I had seen this car dip into the high teens during practice - so I didn't want to get caught sleeping on the line...
Unfortunately, I was a bit too quick, red lighting with a .488 on the .500 tree. :oops:
BUT, that being said - we ran nearly identical ETs! Agent Orange at a 1.225 - my Olds pulling a 1.226! :D
Not wanting to see this end with a single red light, we agreed to go to a "best of three"!
Round 2... Agent Orange red lighted! On to round round 3!
Round 3... Agent Orange was the quicker of the two cars off the line - getting nearly a half car length jump! The Olds came back strong though! Pulling it's quickest run of the night at a 1.216, turning the half car deficit off the line into a half car lead at the finish line! And catapulting it to the top of "The list" in the process!
:banana-dance:

Next week I plan to try going a bit steeper yet on the gearing and should have my interior installed as well...
Hopefully she responds well to both!

With all of the joking and laughing going on last night (and two additional people buying parts to build cars) - this looks like it is going to be a fun, regular part of our Wednesday night action going forward!
:D
(now I need to get crackin' on that Willys Gasser build!)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I am also building a couple of drag cars as a tribute for a friend and his Father that used to drag here in the Chicago land area. Doing a 68 Road Runner and 71 Dodge Charger, both with Parma Edge drag chassises. What I need help with is mounting them so they have the right float, using an H&R Crusher motor and Parma gears. Any tips on mounting and weight ratio, and maybe a different gear ratio. Thank You
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mayberryman » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:23 pm

Sounds like your group has a perfect start on a slot version of street outlaws
Mayberryman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:36 am

I would guess that the pickup truck ate a model T before it going to the drag races
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:36 am

Pretty impressive car sir, I like it.

And the new club sounds like fun as it should be.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:47 am

Love this Todd! I never got to finish my Strip, as space limitations got in my way. Nothing like a heads up Drag racing. Car is VERY nice looking too.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Holeshot Alley!