[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera Lee Petty 1960 Plymouth Fury

Carrera Lee Petty 1960 Plymouth Fury

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Carrera Lee Petty 1960 Plymouth Fury

Postby Burglar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:59 am

Anyone built these up to race on wood tracks? I bought one today because I was assured that they run nice on wood, but looking underneath the tyres look very skinny. I'm thinking of trying to fit a SCC 15x7 under them, and also installing the B-NOVA guide conversion.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips.

Also I think I might need to spray a clear coat on this one to protect the decals
Burglar

Re: Carrera Lee Petty 1960 Plymouth Fury

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:21 am

Mine was fine straight from the box, which surprised me. I lowered the guide slightly, and put urethane tires on the rear, and glued the motor solidly in its cradle. Of course, like everything, I trued the wheels first.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Burglar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks! Which urethanes did you use?

Some people switch the motor to give more braking. I will see how it goes with the stock motor before gluing anything in. I've got a Tire Razor so truing the wheels and tyres will be fairly easy
Burglar

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:20 pm

I tuned mine when they first came out a while ago. They run ok out of the box. I dont think they run as well as the Carrera Chargers & road runners. The Furys are very Narrow. About the same length but very narrow. I tuned mine using all stock parts. You can lower the furys very easily both front & back. From memory There is a black spacer in the back & 1 in the front. Take those out & the car sits alot lower.

Sorry its probably not much help. Its been a while since I had mine on the track
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:51 pm

I tested out a few things, including some aftermarket parts.

First of all, I didn't find any spacers. I'm not sure what these look like, but perhaps the NASCAR version doesn't have them? This version also does not have lights - maybe they are something related to that? There is a tall structure at the front, is that the front one? I don't see anything at the back that can be taken out, and there is nothing between the body posts and the chassis.

Second, the Typhoon motors fit well. The long shaft that hangs out the other side can be used for the pinion on this one (it is if anything too long, and may need to be cut slightly) and the endbell fits fine into the mount if you remove the Pioneer pinion. I have a QS that had a jammed pinion (which meant that the shaft had to be cut off on the end bell side) so I will now be able to use that in this car. This should give it better braking.

Third, the standard Slot.It bushings seem to fit this car. The axle will need to be quite short, maybe 44mm or so.

Fourth, the CB Design 15x7 'steel' wheels are perfect underneath it and the Paul Gage tyres (Ninco fitment, also sold to fit standard Monogram NASCAR wheels) seem to clear everything.

Fifth, the Sloting Plus standard screw fit guide works well with the B-NOVA GM-2 conversion and should all go together well.

I've only test-fitted stuff at this stage but with these few mods and the standard wiring loom replaced with simple wires and some lead in there this looks like it could be a great car.

Here are some photos.

Showing the length of the Pioneer shaft relative to the crown gear:

CB Design (Slot Car Corner) wheels and Paul Gage tyres clear everything okay:

Test fit of B-NOVA GM-2 kit and Sloting Plus guide:

Burglar

Postby MoparGreg » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:37 pm

I just had a quick look at mine. The front spacer is held in with 3 screws it looks like. Its the bracket the lights would be held in if it had lights. Yes the stocker version has this plate. The rear I have no idea what I did. Does the stocker version have a similar plate for the rear? Neither of my stockers have it, so I dont know if I took it out or it came without. I have 2 stockers & both are the #42 but I have repainted one to be #43. One of them is considerably lower in the back than the other. So I have done something but cant remember. Maybe I shortened the body posts, sorry it was to long ago.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:49 am

Thanks Greg.

The rear of my car looks lower than the front, so maybe it is missing whatever is normally at the back. I think I know what you mean up front, I will just leave it out when I reassemble it. Thanks

P.S. Given that I have a huge lot of this particular size of PG tyres I might as well convert the car to use the SCC wheels, even though the stock plastic ones seem pretty good. It might even be the case that these are the right fitment for the stock wheels (haven't tried them yet) - PGT-21083. If I used the SCC wheels it might mean that I need to install Slot.It gears; that's the real expense. Most of the other stuff I already have laying around
Burglar

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 am

Yeah upgrading cars can get expensive, especially when you are upgrading alot of cars. Regarding the axles, have you ever thought to use 3/32 Piano wire. You can probably get 20 or more cars worth of axles out of 1 length. Also I found this guy selling drill blanks on ebay about $1each. Dont know what they are like though-
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Six-3-32-DRI ... 337b99adfe
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 am

OK, this is basically what I did to prepare the car for its debut. Removed the guide system and all electrical right back to the motor, then replaced them with the Typhoon 18K QS motor that came in my Bengal Charger but has had several lives now, most recent tragedy being that I had to cut the pinion shaft off because it had a brass pinion jammed on too tight. Amazingly the shaft on the other end of motor just happens to be the same length as the Carrera shaft, so I removed the pinion from the latter and installed in on the former. I was able to push it on with my thumb so I'm not too confident about it, but I have put some super glue on the pinion to keep it on for a while at least as good as a stock Pioneer rear wheel ... I think I will have to buy a 5.5mm brass pinion for it. I've left the wheels and axles stock but I have trued the wheels and tyres. I installed the B-NOVA GM-2 kit and fitted a Sloting Plus guide. Tomorrow I will get my soldering iron out and install some new wiring from the motor to the guide and fit some lead. That headlight bracket does have a spacer built into it; when I removed it the body could sit lower (level).

Here are a few photos:

Not my first priority though. I am mainly working on a Scalextric '69 Camaro for tomorrow's meeting, although I think I really just need to glue in the motor a few little things like that
Burglar

Postby Burglar » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:10 pm

This car ran pretty well. I think swapping in that motor from my old Pioneer Charger really helped. Tyres seemed to loose a little grip as the night went on though - I am assuming that this might have had something to do with the fact that I was running rubbers on a track that normally runs silicones.
Burglar

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:20 pm

Great thread. Thanks for sharing this. You are really convincing me to take mine down off the shelf and work on it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Burglar » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:48 am

I didn't modify the body and chassis much at all. I'm not someone who has been a fan of Carrera - my previous experiences led me to the opposite conclusion - but good reports about this series eventually led me to give this model a try. I didn't modify the body at all. I just scraped the edge of the chassis a little with the edge of a #11 hobby knife. That was enough to ensure adequate body float. My only real problem at the moment is that one of my friends seems to have ended up with two of my body screws ...

This is the completed car. The wiring is now incredibly simple by comparison with out of the box, just two lengths of NSR wire. I didn't even add any weight. I did put the magnet back in, that adds some weight.

Burglar

Postby Burglar » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:58 am

I **almost** finished this one today. Installed 45mm Slot.It axles front and rear, new Slot.It bushings aligned with SCC kit up back (standard bushings retained up front), 15x7 SCC steelies all round with round side profile Yellow Dogs,Pioneer QS 18K, B-NOVA/Sloting Plus guide set up (as shown above), some grinding inside rear guards for tyre clearance, Slot.It brass pinion and NSR crown (considerable amount of grinding needed required inside pod to clear this), and almost ready to glue motor in and solder wires back when a bad allen screw in a wheel bound up and burred out the key and screw ... AAARRGGGHHH

Until then everything going well and once I get that screw out - hopefully - I should be able to finish it.
Burglar

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:57 am

Looking good. I need to make a parts run, then kit's back to building :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!