Superjet '65 Chevelle

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Superjet '65 Chevelle

Postby RichD » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:10 am

For several years Shoreline Model Raceways has run a class for 1/32nd cars with Revell SnapTite '55 Chevy bodies on a Slot.it HRS or HRS2 chassis and those have been very popular. Since the bodies are out of production for the time being we decided to open the class up to plastic or resin versions of 1955 to 1965 American full sized and midsized cars. I ordered a Superjet 1/32nd 1965 Chevelle body kit which cost $25 plus shipping. The kit is very well done with the body molded in the usual tan resin and with the front and rear bumper/grills in gloss black. Vacuum formed windows are included.
The body itself is not quite as smooth as some of the resin bodies that I have seen, a fussy person might want to wet sand it with 1500 grit paper. The complete body weighed 30.3g. By cutting away the parts behind the bumpers, thinning the sides and opening up the wheel arches I was able to get the weight down to 25g. There were a couple of small rough spots on the body that could have gotten a few minutes worth of sanding, but I did not bother with that. I decided to leave the bumpers the original gloss black, so I masked those off and painted the grills first with gray primer, then with gloss white and finally with Testors Bright Yellow. The body got one coat of gray primer and two coats of Testors Dark Red. When the paint was dry I tacked the bumpers in place with superglue and later reinforced that with a little epoxy. After 24 hours of drying I applied some Road Race Replicas waterslide decals and coated those with Future. After about 8 hours I shot everything with two coats of Krylon Crystal Clear. I let that dry overnight and topped things off with two coats of Future.
The finished body with mounts, vacuum formed interior and glass was 27g.

RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Superjet '65 Chevelle

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Hey, cool sir. MT Resins had one I did a couple years back too.

Bet it runs like the devil on that setup!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dge467 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Nice looking car!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby dreinecke » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am

Rich, you know I can't resist a Chevelle! Great looking build!

I've got the same car in progress as a kit, but have no idea yet when it will be ready. The car is decent, but the diecast company took some liberties with it.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!