[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy [Finished]

1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy [Finished]

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy [Finished]

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:21 pm

I wanted to keep this build simple so I used the Sprints Plus chassis - rather
than opt for a complete scratch build. The idea being that anyone could
replicate this, using what are almost off-the-shelf parts. When I was building
this I thought it would make a great basis for a cool but simple-to-build series
for club racers to run.

MONOGRAM 110 OFFY MIDGET RACER PROXY CHASSIS–

The affordable resin cast from Big Donkey of the original Monogram Hotshot
Midget from the 1960s fits almost perfectly on the brass sprints plus chassis. I
have always felt that the Monogram Hotshot Midget was one of the most iconic
slot cars in the whole of the hobby - and I feel it would be the perfect subject
for a vintage race series.

SPRINTS PLUS CHASSIS–

Anyway, I added small brass rod details to mimic the nerf bars, roll bar hoop,
and radius arms of the original Monogram midget.
This should make for a realistic yet durable scale race car that should run like
a commercial track car.
I plan on running foam tires - I am used to running at the local "underground"
local home track - South Shore Speedway on Long Island - a "dry" wood track
oval, that is large, flat and fast.

SIDE VIEW CHASSIS–

Many times the owner or builder of an Offy Midget would include a letter or
initial built into the front bumper - so I thought I would continue this
tradition on my scale racer...

FRONT BUMPER DETAIL–

I will update this thread as I get the body, and running gear fitted...

I have to get this ready for the Proxy!
Last edited by Vintage 1/24 on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Re: 1/24 Vintage Offenhauser Midget: HRW Proxy

Postby MoparGreg » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 pm

Oh moma, that is art right there!! Your chassis is super nice, cant wait to see the body on & painted.

I really wish I had soldering skills like that. I never get tired of seeing brass work like that.
MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lancaster Tornado! » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: I want one :o :o :o

Lee
Lancaster Tornado!
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Awesome!

Hey...I do simple numbers

Great job, very cool.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Quickcars » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:33 pm

1/24, you have done your fellow New Yorker proud. That is an awesome piece of work!

The detail work and the initial....That's just sick!!!

I've got to buy a tutorial or something on soldering. I can barely solder two pieces of brass together to do a single nerf bar. The bending and soldering on your chassis is just super smooth.

Wow

Paul
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ourwayband » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:38 pm

Wow,great job! If I could solder like that i would never leave the work bench.

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JimD » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:25 pm

Nice!

Is a propane torch required for that sort of work or is my iron going to work? Inquiring minds are going to need the help!

Jim
JimD

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:52 pm

Well......most are going to say to get a good iron. And they are needed in some cases and are what the artisans like 1/24, Marty, Dave, etc all use.

I use a small torch.

Just how I like to do it. BUT my work does not look as good as his!!! :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:39 am

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Sure, I added some fussy brass details - but this build *really is* simple - there is *no jig* involved - the chassis is right off the shelf- wheelbase at 3" - basically done. Add a few bars as you see fit, and you are ready to roll.

Remember, nothing is "structural" here - so if a solder joint fails on a nerf bar - no big deal - repair or replace - the car will still run well. I just bend the brass rod with a pair of pliers - eyeballing it up - again nothing fancy, no wire benders etc., and it works fine.

I used a soldering iron here - use a little flux, try to put some heat into the metal and flow some solder. But yeah I like to use a two-gas torch - but I can't find it on the market any longer. It was a gas brazing torch from Radio Shack. It had a Propane canister and an Oxygen canister - I think it was called Micronox or something. You could get a very hot flame and make very strong joints in a very localized area and the solder would flow really well around the heated metal, and it produced strong joints.

I built the following chassis from a pile of brass rods using the Micronox torch - but it was a true scratch built deal - you know making something out of nothing - a cool slot car chassis for the price of a couple slices of Pizza...
I posted this on the old board a couple years ago but here it is again as an example of a scratch built chassis -

FOUR WHEEL DRIVE INDY TURBINE CAR–

For this chassis I felt the torch made for more strength. There is a central shaft which drives both axles.
Scratch building allows for creations of whatever you can think up - which is especially satisfying when at the end you have a one-of-a-kind toy.

PARNELLI JONES TAKES TO THE TRACK–

Scratch built four wheel drive car handles well going left - turning right ,not so much...
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:48 am

Great stuff sir, thanks for sharing this.

This is what I like. A wide spectrum of skills and interests. We can go from enjoying simple RTR cars to making our very own. But are equally fun.

Sharing these builds and helping others create them is how we pass along this part of the hobby.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Quickcars » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:25 am

Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JimD » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 am

Nice, I got to get some parts to build a sprint car...
JimD

Postby RazorJon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:22 am

well the bar of excellence just got raised, nice chassis, Vintage
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 am

Went over to South Shore Speedway Friday night - almost no one was there because of the pending Modified Tour Race #3 that was scheduled for the next day in CT - the Long Island guys would have to leave early Saturday to make that show.

The upside was I go to spend some time with the track owner and the newly installed TrackMate and I feel I learned a bit about setting up my cars.

I brought along my Proxy Midget (in progress) and I have to say with the narrowed tires and narrow track - I am going to have to go with a bit less motor - it really is a handful to run - very fast and it can turn a single quick lap - but almost impossible to lay down ten rapid laps in a row... definitely going to have to go with "less" motor, and return to South Shore Speedway next week for a final 'test and tune' session before shipping the car out for the Proxy Races.

Oh yeah and I also have to finish up paint and body work... I will post some pics when it gets closer.
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Postby JimD » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:05 am

Me too!

Hey, are the rear bushings supposed to be tacked in place? Just got my parts the other day and starting to put together my first sprint car.

I printed off nice color version of your first two chassis pictures and I'm gona put em on the wall right next to my bench for reference and inspiration!

Jim
JimD

Next

Return to Oval Racing HQ!