[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - "White Kit" by Strangebrew

"White Kit" by Strangebrew

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

"White Kit" by Strangebrew

Postby strangebrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Not the kit you thought, huh?
I've decided to get out of the past & concentrate on crafting something "up to date"
You can't visit a dirt track anywhere without seeing dirt late models & modifieds.
Harry & I talked about maybe starting a series.....Plastic/Resin chassis/bodies. :think:
(That's all we need in this is hobby.........another series, right!) :doh:
I've been toying with these cars for a couple years, so I thought I'd update the idea a bit
& come up with something to make available to those interested in an easy to build kit....sorta'

....."Submitted for your approval".....
I've got a couple of cast late model bodies & chassis already, but they're a little clunky & heavy.
I did this "prototype" light weight body.
A little too light....Also don't like the roof-to-body fit.
I don't know if I should do a glue-on roof or cast the roof as part of the body & mount the interior as another piece.

The driver, roof & main body are 3 separate pieces.
The fuel cell is a piece of balsa with styrene strips glued to it with a soldered brass rod bumper.
The main body is cast with a bulkhead to brace the body side-to-side & also is where I glued the fuel cell arrangement.
The cage is not cast...I made that as a one-off from 3/64 styrene rod.

I cast the chassis to accept standard oilite 1/4 inch bearings & also has the standard motor mount arrangement.
Using the marked points you'll get a 3 1/4 inch wheel base.
All these points have about .020 inches of resin to drill through.
i.e. I didn't put bearings in front, I just drilled holes to accept the axle without bearings.
I use a Dremel with small stones to open the holes because a drill bit might get away from me.
Same goes for the marked hole for the guide.
This complete car weighs 113 grams with 1/2" Protrack wheels & urethane tires.
(Not near as "clunky" as previous models) :dance:

I made about a hundred laps on the oval at "headquarters" without any problems.
Ran as fast as my other LM's without any tuning or ballast. Just tire cleaning.
I'll be working on version 2.0 in the near future. :D
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: "White Kit" by Strangebrew

Postby padirtfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:53 pm

I really like that Strangebrew! Any chance you're going to sell some? I've been looking for something a little different for my track.
padirtfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:13 pm

Just for the record...it is a GREAT effort and runs smooth.

Had a chance to race it...yes, mighty fine indeed.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Wow, good looking Car. Watching with interest.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 pm

It's cool Brew!, I'm following too!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Love the thought process about 'up-to-date' dirt cars. The most popular series is probably sprint cars such as the World of Outlaws. When they come to major northeast dirt tracks it's a big deal and there's a good turnout. I think the Late Models are next in line, and while you don't see then in the northern part of the northeast, from PA south and west into OH , IN, IL, and so on they have a huge following. They also race under the World of Outlaws banner. Then there's the Lucas Oil Late Model series that gets televised and attracts race fans.

But the biggest type of dirt racing in the northeast from Canada down to Florida is northeast style dirt modifieds that evolved from the type of modifieds currently allowed in the Showdown proxies. Modern northeast dirt mods look like this.

Stewart Friesen is now a top contender in the NASCAR truck series, but when he can get away you'll find him in a Super Dirtcar Series modified like this. (The same company that runs World of Outlaw sprints and late models also owns the Super Dirtcar Series.) These are complete purpose built race cars, having long since become separated from the era when dirt cars were crafted from junk yard parts. The bodies are made of flat sheet metal panels and the only curved part is probably the engine cowl. I've built replicas of these cars from everything from thin sheets of hobby story brass and tin to card stock and photo paper. They are easy to make and look realistic.

So, as you think about 'up-to-date' dirt race cars, of the type race fans follow today, consider creating whatever would be needed so these types of mods can fit in too.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby lancelotalove » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 pm

strangerew, I like the start and watching and hoping a new series will come up.
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:09 pm

strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. I love the idea of a common chassis option for the late models and modifieds. I have a basic design I reproduce in styrene plastic and other materials, also with a standard 3 1/4" wheelbase, but a version like yours would be great to have available. Modified bodies could be made from 5 panels (2 sides, roof, back, and center 'shelf' that sides connect to). There would be 5 glue joints to assemble, but it would be much easier to paint and detail the panels before assembly, then glue from the inside. An ideal front section might be a single molded piece that fits into a cutout in the 'shelf'.

I'm not expecting you or anyone to go into production of my fantasy any time soon, but it would make for a neat, modern, basis for even competition.

Thanks for your initial post.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Dr. strangebrew,
I am not a modified racing car kind of guy, but I can really appreciate outstanding hard work when I see it. You should stand proud of your current version and I'm sure the next round will be even better. The effort to standardize it and make it easier for all is much appreciated. Maybe you will convert me and I'll end up trying to work one just like it. Thanks for posting.
Jeff
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to Oval Racing HQ!