sprints plus chassis question

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

sprints plus chassis question

Postby randy47 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:20 pm

I love the post where they took the Grant King sprinter and made midget out of it. My question is where do you guys buys these chassis' and what size wheels and tires do you put on them to get that correct look? I have got to make me one of these or more. Thanks, Randy
randy47

Re: sprints plus chassis question

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:33 am

Oops I missed this. Smith Scale Speedway for that chassis...but you already know that from FB...lol
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: sprints plus chassis question

Postby Vintage 1/24 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:56 pm

I plan on using the affordable Big Donkey resin cast Vintage Monogram Midget - and with very little fitting it works almost perfectly on the Sprints Plus chassis. For my build - I will add brass nerf bars, and bumpers, and some pieces that sort of look like radius arms in an effort to match the look of original Monogram slot car as shown below:

MONOGRAM 110 OFFY MIDGET RACER –

Anyway - I will run "Daytona Pro-Track" 3/4 inch (.750s) on the front and .880s on the back. It puts the chassis about where it should be off the deck, and looks about right when compared to the old advert I posted up above. I think I will trim the width of the rears and fronts to "get the look" even better - those midgets ran some pretty small and narrow tires back in the day.

There are original-style *exact-repros* of the 60s Monogram rubber tires and rims available online - and that would be absolutely the most correct. Since I was hoping to get the South Shore Speedway racers (the local "underground" home racing oval track) interested - and since they all like to run *real fast* and essentially race "commercial" style slot cars - I knew contemporary foam and some brasswork bumpers/nerfs would be a must.

In any case - the heavier resin body should work well with the heavier brass chassis.

I will be posting my own Proxy Midget build - I have things to show but I just haven't taken the pix and made the time to post...
Vintage 1/24
Mr. NY Modified

Return to Oval Racing HQ!