[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Late Model body

Late Model body

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

Late Model body

Postby sjc115 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:26 pm

I got a 3D printer (Ender 3) around Christmas time and have been playing around with it every since. I thought I would share one of my creations. The body and chassis were designed together and work with a slot.it pod. I wish I had a proper track to do some testing, but hopefully I can get a reasonable size oval built at some point this winter and see how it runs.

There are subtle difference in most of the bodies shown as I have been tweaking the dimensions/parts with almost every print. It takes about 3 hours to print all the parts to make one body, and another hour for the chassis. Not to bad considering the printer is basically hands off (i.e. I can do chores while it is working!).

It's a little different take on what most of you guys are doing (brass chassis, resin bodies), but I thought you might be interested.

late model - orange2.jpg

late model - group2.jpg
sjc115

Re: Late Model body

Postby manchvegasracer » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:22 pm

These are really cool. Nice job with the liveries too. I bet they will look even better with decals/numbers. How do they race?
manchvegasracer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Gameover » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Great work! Im working on a modified body as we speak. Brought a few renderings to hq last weekend for harrys thoughts.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:31 pm

Very interested and you have done a great job.

If possible, share that file? Just had the Ender arrive last week.

Here are the bodies Gameover has printed.

I bet they run just fine.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby dreinecke » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:39 pm

Nice work! Looks like a great platform and I too think they probably run just fabulous. Nice to see this!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby sjc115 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:39 am

Gameover,
I like the modified, especially that motor! Is that this one (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2551118)? I was thinking about doing my own, but found this one and figured it would be a good starting point.
sjc115

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:08 am

Thanks sir, yes would appreciate that link.

That sure looks like the car Steve made. He edited it a little though.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Broman62 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:28 pm

Those look really cool!! Is the weight of this style made car close to the weight of resin casts or plastic models...just curious???
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:55 pm

Good question. I will get some comparisons done tomorrow night.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Gameover » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:52 am

Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby sjc115 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 am

broman62,
I can't speak for the weight of a resin body, but I did weigh one of mine and it comes in right around 30grams. It feels a bit too heavy to me, so I have been playing around with the geometry trying to cut some weight off it.

gameover,
I'm happy to share the files, I just want to get them to a point where I think they are usable first. Once I happy with them I'm going to post them on thinigverse. I'll post the link here so you can get the files.
sjc115

Postby sjc115 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:41 pm

Files are posted on Thingiverse:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3415449

Let me know what you guys think.

I also made a 1/43 version that I'm posting to Thingiverse as well:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3420843
sjc115

Postby spaceshoes » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:04 pm

This has been very interesting. I have done some reading in the 3D printing board. It has piqued my interest. I see how much it costs to purchase the filament for it. My question is this: how much does it cost to print out something like your dirt car? That is a sweet looking car. I would love to have a fleet of those. However, if its going to cost $200 for the printer and then another $40-50 everytime I print a car, I couldn't justify that at this point in time. This whole thing has piqued my interest enough to start looking into 3D graphics programs.
spaceshoes

Postby sjc115 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:44 am

spaceshoes:
The filament is cheap, anywhere from $16-$30 for a 1kg (2.2 pound) roll. I am using either Creality branded filament (get it from their ebay store for $17/roll shipped) or AIO Robotics ($13 for a 1/2 kg roll on amazon). I have not had any issues with either brand.

The car itself costs more time than anything. The direct material cost (filament/glue, not electricity etc.) for each car can't be more than $2 or $3. The time is where the investment is. To print all the parts takes 4 to 6 hours.

If you spend $200 on a printer, $100 on five different colors of filament, you could print hundreds of cars. Not to mention all of the other cool things you will find your self printing. Search any word that comes to your mind on Thingiverse and you will be amazed at some of the stuff that comes up (try searching the word 'cool'). Click this link (https://www.thingiverse.com/KryptonicLo ... 10-2-16-19) and it will take to you to a collection that a user puts together each week with what they think are the best creations for that week. There is some really neat stuff that people are making.
sjc115

Postby spaceshoes » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:10 am

Thanks for the information. Now it seems as though I want a new printer!
spaceshoes

Return to Oval Racing HQ!