"Winging" it

Your home for scale slot car oval racing!

"Winging" it

Postby btaylor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:48 am

In my pursuit of inspirational pictures to build my Super modifieds, I kept coming up with pictures of early "winged' cars. Getting deeper into the subject, I found that wings were used as early as 1960-61 on some mid western and deep south dirt track cars. Even found out some of the quick makeshift homebrew versions were made out of plywood!. After looking over my ever growing fleet of Super mods, I decided that I too, needed to have some wings. They don't help the car run at all on a slot track, but they allow for some very cool advertisement decals, and I think they just look cool as it gets. I grabbed some of my stash of clear plastic I use for windshields and the like, and formed up an early style curved wing. I use the .020 sheet plastic from anything that I buy that comes in a plastic package. its usually a throw away, but around here, everyone saves it for me. A little scissor work, and some super glue got me started, then some underside re enforcement with epoxy did the trick. the rounds can be formed over any surface ( I used a screwdriver ) and a little heat from a lighter or small torch lets it keep its shape. The finished product is light and strong, and stays put pretty well in a crash. I had used magnets to hold on some early versions, but went to glue on's so they didn't turn and twist while running. sure, I know they might get knocked off in battle, but they will glue right back on like any detail parts do. here is my first version on my little "Infernal" car. Cant wait to make some more of them! Oh, just noticed my roll bar was needing some more paint!
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Re: "Winging" it

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:32 am

You nailed it. Looks great!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby btaylor » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:09 am

Thanks Harry, I wasn't sure I wanted to deviate from the box art style of these cars, but I just could not get over the desire to individualize these as my own creations. That is after all, the essence of scratch building I guess. and it sure makes for some fun cars to run around the track! And FUN is what its all about.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby ourwayband » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:31 am

great looking deal!
You sir are having FUN,that is what it is all about!
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:09 pm

"Hot Stuff" ... couldn't resist it.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:12 pm

My ears are ringing just looking at this......I can smell the fumes too :D
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!